What's new

Martin de Candre usage

Am I the only one to find MSC lasts no longer than most other soaps? My rose jar went in 3 months and eventually became very cream like. I did load heavily and suspect some shavers are timid to load considering the cost. Also, it is 200gms a puck, whereas lots of soaps are just over 100gms.
Do you put the lid back on after you use it?

What brush are you using?
Chubby2 synthetic, and badger SV which is similar to Chubby 3 badger in size. I do like to load a lot as I reckon any soap is transformed with a decent amount, I tried loading lighter when I used MCD , but couldn't get a decent lather. Maybe my hard water was a factor, although this isn't an issue with other soaps or creams.

I did not know whether to use a laugh or sad emoji. I chose sad, but I feel your pain. Having too much of something that no longer lights you up the way it used to is rough. Maybe fear of such is what spurs my minimalism! The past few years have been the first time I have had more than one brush and one soap!
Maybe I was overly dramatic yesterday. The soaps in my rotation work fine and I like them. As I’m still in the first rush of excitement and discovery I have to weigh going through new products vs. losing myself in a too large rotation, hence the 3 +1.

Since joining here I bought mostly European budget soaps/creams and only 3 soaps in the 20.00 range so in the future there will be the „+1 spot“ reserved for a higher end product.

Here’s what I have observed/experienced:

Wee Scott, almost 2 years per tub, reference @martym
Chubby 1 Super, lathering with abandon, 9 months, Around 1.4g/shave. (me)
Most normal non-soap hogs, about 0.4g/shave or 400+ shaves per tub. (me)

A year per tub is a reasonable working number for typical brushes.
That is also my estimate for MdC. Just like hardsoaps I expect about 0,5 gr/ml per shave. But It will be a while before I know for sure :)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Am I the only one to find MSC lasts no longer than most other soaps? My rose jar went in 3 months and eventually became very cream like. I did load heavily and suspect some shavers are timid to load considering the cost. Also, it is 200gms a puck, whereas lots of soaps are just over 100gms.
I load fairly heavy and a jar lasts me 380 three pass shaves. I use it most days and don't bother with the cover. Maybe you covered the jar before it was dry?

Absolutely such a pleasant and real scent of rose
I need to try the rose scent. I have the Vetiver, Fougere and the Argrumes. The Vetiver is my favorite.
The performance of these soaps in terms of lather slickness is probably matched by many other alternatives, but no other soap i have tried builds a lather as quick and easy as MDC. The scents are also grate in my opinion.
I use 26 and 28 mm badger brushes, but still the soap seem to last a long time. I live in Europe, so for me they are a good value.

I burn through it about the same as other soaps were a little goes a long way. As a bowl latherer with a selection of 50g jars, I scape a little into my bowl with a spoon. I then bloom it with plenty of water. By the time I exit the shower the soap is completely dissolved into the water. The resulting soap water is super easy to lather. I would guess that a 50g tub would last a month or two.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I need to try the rose scent. I have the Vetiver, Fougere and the Argrumes. The Vetiver is my favorite.
The performance of these soaps in terms of lather slickness is probably matched by many other alternatives, but no other soap i have tried builds a lather as quick and easy as MDC. The scents are also grate in my opinion.
I use 26 and 28 mm badger brushes, but still the soap seem to last a long time. I live in Europe, so for me they are a good value.
Nailed it. The stuff just explodes with lather. Although I typically twirl the brush atop the puck for under ten seconds, I can get a perfectly fine lather with about three seconds of vigorous swirling, no pressure required. For many other soaps ten is on the short end of making an acceptable lather. For TOBS it is closer to fifteen or twenty. The lather itself is lovely but to me not appreciably different from what I get from Pre de Provence, a fairly inexpensive soap I can even get at the grocery store, albeit Central Market, a pretty swish grocer.

Ive got sooo much soap! And two jars of MDC that I use in my huge rotation. When I work thru all my soaps until they are gone I plan on having only 6 or 8 soaps and MDC will be part of it.

I find I can wet my soap and brush (bloom) then dump and shake then do 10 swirls on the puck and have more than enough for a 3.5 pass shave. How much that actually is Im not sure. But I dont think its much.

I have argumes and that’s another natural citrus scent.. Etiler is next on my list, heard good things on the scent

Yeah these soaps last for such a long time, I’ve hardly put a dent in mine and if you get the water right the soap is amazingly slick

Had my first go with MdC this evening. Rose. I loaded a Chubby 2 silvertip for less than 10 seconds and ended up with enough super slick lather for four or five passes (lathered for 3 passes plus one for fun and had at least another left in the scuttle).

Call me impressed. Nice rose too!

I used the Original this morning and had a delightful shave. I ran my Simpsons Keyhole 2 in Best over the soap until I had a nice crown of airy bubbles (10 seconds max) and face-lathered that to perfection. I only do 1.5 passes these days, so this was plenty. I haven’t weighed the soap between uses but I bet I’d get a ton of mileage out of a 200g puck since I only shave every 2-3 days on average.

Such a simple, clean, and classy soap base!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You’ll get about a year out of a tub with an average badger brush, 22mm or so.

A Chubby 8 will use a lot more, and a Wee Scot will get you almost 2 years from a tub.

Top Bottom