What's new

Question about Arkansas Whetstones trying Ballistol can I go back to just water?

I have recently started finishing my razors on one of Dan's Black Arkansas stones and have really been enjoying the edges. I finish on the ark under running water and when the the razor start sticking I call it done. I have also tried with a drop of dawn and also with Williams but both gave me no feedback was like running the razor on glass they did still produce a nice edge but I like having the feedback and feel when I sharpen. My question is I was thinking I could try Ballistol and water mix but if I try this will I ever be able to go back to just plain water? or will this force me to use oil from then on? My thinking is I should be fine but I would hate to "ruin" my stone well at least limit my options. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jason C.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I would not worry on a Dan's black. Just about non porous. I've cleaned oil off my Dan's translucent and had it work with water just fine. If anything the blacks are a bit harder. I used Dawn to clean it.

That said. You do realize Ballistol smells, as some one once put it, like the group's sweaty wet socks hung over the radiator to dry in the hunting lodge.

Ballistol smells, as some one once put it, like the group's sweaty wet socks hung over the radiator to dry in the hunting lodge.
:001_tt2:That's putting it mildly IMO. It's great stuff and I've been using it for ages on pretty much everything (guns, knives, tools, hinges...). But, it smells like, well... not so great.

I have recently started finishing my razors on one of Dan's Black Arkansas stones and have really been enjoying the edges. I finish on the ark under running water and when the the razor start sticking I call it done. I have also tried with a drop of dawn and also with Williams but both gave me no feedback was like running the razor on glass they did still produce a nice edge but I like having the feedback and feel when I sharpen. My question is I was thinking I could try Ballistol and water mix but if I try this will I ever be able to go back to just plain water? or will this force me to use oil from then on? My thinking is I should be fine but I would hate to "ruin" my stone well at least limit my options. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jason C.
You can use oil if you wash it with dawn and then go back to water. I use my blacks with oil/water(+soap sometimes)/dry.... they don't absorb much of anything. Try it out with different lubricants, it'll make the edge different with each. My big black stone from Dan's is one of my favorites and certainly tied at first for fav finisher. Once you can get that stone to sing on one those joke greetings you'll get a shave like none other.

I tried Ballistol. The smell really put me off. It cleaned off easy with some soap. Now i use uptimum no rinse (ONR) 50/50 water ratio. It is a polymer based wash solution.

I tried Ballistol. The smell really put me off. It cleaned off easy with some soap. Now i use uptimum no rinse (ONR) 50/50 water ratio. It is a polymer based wash solution.

Wow, never though I would see ONR mentioned on here. I really like the stuff and it smells way better than Ballistol! Ill have to give it a shot.

Thanks everyone was just worried about ruining my nice stone. I do have to say I am completely in on arks the very first razor I finished on my new stone was amazing so much more smooth then using just Shapton stones I could not believe the difference the Shapton edge is certainly more "sharp" or something but the ark edge shaved great and basically no irritation and almost no burn when I put on my aftershave I just wish I had started with arks now.

Thanks everyone was just worried about ruining my nice stone. I do have to say I am completely in on arks the very first razor I finished on my new stone was amazing so much more smooth then using just Shapton stones I could not believe the difference the Shapton edge is certainly more "sharp" or something but the ark edge shaved great and basically no irritation and almost no burn when I put on my aftershave I just wish I had started with arks now.
Don't be scared of a little torque or mineral oil(actual mineral oil) and that rock will be good to you like a loyal dog.

Ballistol is water soluble. If the smell bothers you use Smith’s honing solution, $6-7 at Lowes or any knife store. It too is water soluble 3-5 drops on a wet stone.

You had any issues with the ONR leaving a film on the stone?

Top Bottom