What's new

What is the hype about Feather blades?

My personal experience with Feathers is similar to other posts. Very sharp on first use, smooth on next use, then unusable.
Other blades are smoother and last up to 5 shaves or more before tossing. I prefer Astra SP's or Gillette Silver Blue's.

My personal experience with Feathers is similar to other posts. Very sharp on first use, smooth on next use, then unusable.
Other blades are smoother and last up to 5 shaves or more before tossing. I prefer Astra SP's or Gillette Silver Blue's.
I guess it depends on your facial hair, I get 3 shaves out of a Feather blade and wouldn't risk the fourth...
I can go up to 5 with an Astra SP, but I almost never do. I ditch a blade after 3-4 use anyway, (or immediately at first try, and never touch that blade again, hehe) Feather is very reliable, it is delivering the same qualities over and over again, no duds, no variations in sharpness, etc. which is an advantage in my books.

Sharpest the blade, losing sharpness faster is true with almosrt all cutting tool and razor blades are no different.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Feathers are great blades, with the worst longevity of anything I've tried. If you have a beard like razor wire that requires a blade that sharp you are thrilled to pay the extra money to use them daily.

I get 2 good shaves from a Feather (sometimes I push it to 3), 5-6 from a PolSliver SI and 6-7 from a Med Prep. They are all sharp enough for me, so I rarely buy Feathers.

Feathers are definitely ‘premium’ blades and are as sharp as sharp can be!

For me, they are totally unforgiving and not especially long-lasting or comfortable. But that’s me.

Now there is an exception (as there is to most any rule): put a Feather blade in an AS/D2 and you have a match made in heaven!! At least IMHO. :a21::a21::a21:

Been using a safety razor for about 20 months. Would never go back to cartridges. I own a RazoRock .84 GC and feel I'm set for life in regard to the razor.

Let me preface this by saying I haven't used a LOT of blades. Astra, Derby Extra and the current 100 that I'm using which are Parkers. Every other page in the sub forum is filled with a thread about Feathers. How sharp they are, the closeness of the shave, efficiency etc. I also read how they are a blood bath for some people.

I did a cursory check on Amazon. Parker, 12.99 per 100 and I rarely cut myself shaving daily. Feather 39.99 per 100. Gillette yellows 14.99

Are they really worth it? I can get a BBS 2-3 pass shave, comfortable no nick. with a Parker and 3 times less the price? Would love to hear others feedback on why they would pay such a premium, other than your mileage may vary.
I shaved my head and face with a fresh Feather today and what I find is that I can get a great shave with any blade I've tried. Feathers, however get me where I need to be much quicker.

I am new to the world of DE razors (February 2021). Started out with a Merkur Progress, and a couple of sample packs of blades. After using probably 15 different blade brands, I came to the conclusion that I like Feather the most, by far; Astra, Voskhod and Derby are my runners-up.

I also have been using a Lord L6 razor (practicing for travel) and likewise think that the Feather is the best blade for me (after a slight learning curve). I can’t put my finger on exactly what I like most about it, but Feather simply works best for me.

I have a beard so the area covered is relatively low. I find that I can use the Feather blade for 6-8 shaves without any degradation.

Been using a safety razor for about 20 months. Would never go back to cartridges. I own a RazoRock .84 GC and feel I'm set for life in regard to the razor.

Let me preface this by saying I haven't used a LOT of blades. Astra, Derby Extra and the current 100 that I'm using which are Parkers. Every other page in the sub forum is filled with a thread about Feathers. How sharp they are, the closeness of the shave, efficiency etc. I also read how they are a blood bath for some people.

I did a cursory check on Amazon. Parker, 12.99 per 100 and I rarely cut myself shaving daily. Feather 39.99 per 100. Gillette yellows 14.99

Are they really worth it? I can get a BBS 2-3 pass shave, comfortable no nick. with a Parker and 3 times less the price? Would love to hear others feedback on why they would pay such a premium, other than your mileage may vary.
I've got a Parker blade in my Parker 91R razor. I think it is a pretty damn good blade. It is not a Wilkinson Sword, but it does a good job. I do 1 pass, and it really does a nice shave. I would like to know who makes them-Parker or do they sub out with a rebadged blade from a reputable mfgr?? Great blade on its 3rd shave...

They just don't stay as sharp as I would like. 3 shaves on my mediocre beard, and they start pulling. Not for me...
True. On shave number 3 I can feel the sharpness is a bit lower. Number 4 is impossible.
Anyway they are far from the best for my skin. I can use them without problems, but don't see why I should buy them. A DE blade shouldn't cost that much.

To many, I don't think Feather offers something compelling that the other blades don't. Feather is sharp but it trades some smoothness/feel and longevity (at least according to responses). Other blades can still get that good shave initially and for more uses.

I love, I mean, love Feather blades in most of my razors. I do not like them in my Game Changer 84p however. I get a good shave, but it is not smooth and pleasant. In all of my other razors, which are on the milder side, I get a wonderfully smooth and efficient shave with them, more so than any other blade I've tried. For me, it is a case of matching the right combination of face/razor/blade and I am still on that journey.

In the dozen years that my son-in-law has been wetshaving, the only DE he has ever bought is a Merkur 34C, and the only blade he uses are Feathers. He doesn't shave every day and tosses Feathers after two shaves, but as he does not belong to, or tempted by shave forums, he actually saves money. Feathers and 7 O'clock Yellows are the sharpest blades I've tried, but they are not forgiving enough for me. Being a member, I've been down just about every rabbit hole. I've not saved money, but it's been fun, so no regrets.

True. On shave number 3 I can feel the sharpness is a bit lower. Number 4 is impossible.
Anyway they are far from the best for my skin. I can use them without problems, but don't see why I should buy them. A DE blade shouldn't cost that much.
Buying German Wilkies for $1.19/tuck. .20 a blade is not bad, considering I got 6 shaves out my last blade. 5 shaves were really good, smooth. #6 left some stubble, especially around the chin. 5 shaves on a blade is decent, as I only do 1 pass, WTG, plus clean ups. Very smooth shaving with these blades. I tried Parker blades in my Parker 91R(my daily driver), and they also were very smooth, although a much more audible blade, and got 5 good shaves from them. The first 3 shaves on a Wilkie are very smooth, and cut very close. No pressure needed with my Parker razor.

Top Bottom