What's new

Mamba 53: first shave

My copy of the Mamba 53. Taken a few months ago. It has a special place in my Shave Den !

20210122_203330.jpg

Me? :)

well I would say the chart is not to far off ?

I prefer my GC 68 and my 68 timeless based on overall shave such as getting under nose and comfort

efficiency wise the BBS is very nice especially ATG I do think as said by many that blade angle helps that happen its in Henson territory for ATG comfort and can see that is up there with the GC 68 on that IB chart now that I shave with it again

Was super easy to get a BBS with the BBS :) so the name fits

reckon though going to be putting them back in the to sell box I just prefer the timeless and GC but this again is so personal as we all know :)
If your BBS is SS I might be interested 🙂

I shaved with a mamba 70 for months and couldn't figure it out. You gents have me thinking I should give it another shot!
Was finding the angle the problem, or you just didn't like the shave?

Me? :)

If your BBS is SS I might be interested 🙂

Was finding the angle the problem, or you just didn't like the shave?
I couldn't find/keep the correct angle, I think. I got a lot of irritation, and it didn't shave as efficiently as I was lead to believe. It's very likely all my fault, but with the irritation, I didn't want to go more than two passes and little touchups.

It seems to need a very shallow angle, and I'm not comfortable holding the razor like that as I shave, and probably strayed steep.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
That’s the razor and handle I have, but you displayed it with much better photography skillz, @Ckmaui

Now I’m on the lookout for a Mamba 0.53 - preferably with a UFO or Barber Pole handle. There’s a Mamba 0.70 with the absolutely excellent HD handle in B/S/T for a steal of a price, but my OCD and dopamine-serotonin axis are heck-bent on the 0.53. For my fellow Americans and worldwide Imperial system of measurement enthusiasts, that’s 0.021” versus nearly 0.028” Yes, 0.0065” is just splitting hairs, but, that’s entirely the point. Also, anyone seeking the added efficiency and increased effective angle range of the Mamba 0.70 reading this thread has been tipped off.

Wonderful! But I am actually talking about the STAND. If you don't mind, where can one get this or similarly nice razor stands, if I may ask?
These are purchases from 2017 - 2018 from eBay sellers Tibam, Russian drunken Bear and stork.handles. I bought quite a few handles from all of them, can't quite remember who sold what, however you can lookup these vendors on eBay, they are pretty popular.

That’s the razor and handle I have, but you displayed it with much better photography skillz, @Ckmaui

Now I’m on the lookout for a Mamba 0.53 - preferably with a UFO or Barber Pole handle. There’s a Mamba 0.70 with the absolutely excellent HD handle in B/S/T for a steal of a price, but my OCD and dopamine-serotonin axis are heck-bent on the 0.53. For my fellow Americans and worldwide Imperial system of measurement enthusiasts, that’s 0.021” versus nearly 0.028” Yes, 0.0065” is just splitting hairs, but, that’s entirely the point. Also, anyone seeking the added efficiency and increased effective angle range of the Mamba 0.70 reading this thread has been tipped off.

Well I have a Mamba 53 and a RR UFO handle collecting dust.

thombrogan

@Ckmaui , I just remembered my BBS has a Super Knurl handle on it and my HD handle is on their Hawk single edge razor thus making your BBS cooler and me embarrassed about not remembering the handle on the razor I’ve been using a lot of lately.

@Ckmaui , I just remembered my BBS has a Super Knurl handle on it and my HD handle is on their Hawk single edge razor thus making your BBS cooler and me embarrassed about not remembering the handle on the razor I’ve been using a lot of lately.
Yeah they have so many handles I cant remember :)
I have 3 of their razors got a dif handle just to know and had to look that up :) but I do think its my fav handle as I prefer shorter ones and the grip is very good that said I am liking the lighter handles like the timeless Ti one with the stainless heads I think the most :) but sure that will change

Last edited:
2nd shave with the Mamba:

6 day stubble
Blade: Feather (1st use)

The feather proved a little more efficient than the Astra. Overall it was just as smooth as the last shave, but I definitely would like a bit more efficiency/blade feel. I'm doing more micro-passes than I usually do, and that's something I want to avoid with my sensitive skin.

Mid-shave I tried the Henson mild again with a Personna blue (never used that blade before), just for comparison on my trouble stop where I always feel a lot of tugging, but I stopped only after a couple of strokes because it felt so harsh, even painful. The Mamba fared much better. Not comfortable, but so much better.

Overall I'm even more convinced that the shallow blade angle works much better for me than traditional angles, and that the Mamba 70 and/or BBS could be ideal razors for me.

thombrogan

The BBS can shave at a shallow angle; that’s how I use it almost every time; but it seems designed for steep angled enjoyment.

With the Mamba 53/Feather combo, would shaving once every 4-5 days help you get a clean face with less micro-strokes?

(Correction of my previous post: it was the Henson Medium, not Mild)

It would probably help with the micro-strokes somewhat, but I would lose some of the benefit by having to shave more often, so in all it might be a zero sum game. But I am currently trying to reduce the frequency to at least 5 days (now I'm at 6, down from 7).

Either way I have a Mamba 70 incoming, courtesy a member here: hopefully it will be "the one" :)

It is the original Mamba (bought before the 70 came out) also the baseplate of the 53 only says Mamba not the gap.

Unless you are talking about the Black Mamba...

Top Bottom