What's new

Mamba 53: first shave

As I have been harping on the Mamba 53 and its flat angle in various threads, I thought I'd sum up my first shave with it (might be good for me also to have a log of it as a future reminder to myself).

6 days growth of denser-than-average stubble.
Astra green, 2nd use.
One pass WTG (as I always do).

Extremely smooth shave, no feeling of scraping at all, which for me is crucial. The 53 was able to handle even such long stubble, though with shorter but more strokes, and a bit more pressure than what I usually shave with.
The shave was significantly smoother than my previous shave with the Henson Medium (7 days growth, same blade). Can't know for sure if it's the blade exposure or the angle that makes the 53 smoother - would probably have to compare it with the Henson Mild to be certain. I'm inclined to think it's the angle, as it felt there is less resistance while cutting.
The Henson was a bit closer though.

I would have liked a tad more blade feel though, as I think could provide the same smoothness but with less strokes and pressure.

Overall it confirmed my idea that the next purchase would be either the Mamba 70 or the BBS.
Decisions...

Great review of a great razor.

The Mamba 53 is a smooth shaver and cuts well once the angle of attack is figured out and maintained. It's best shave angle is quite narrow and closer to the cap. The angle needs to be maintained for consistent cutting across all face contours by constant subtle wrist movements unlike with aggressive heads with more blade exposure which will tolerate wider deviations from optimal shave angle.

Shave with sharper blades like Nacet, Feather and my favored Gillette super platinum black will make you experience Shave Nirvana!

Yes, the next shave will be with Feather, as it's also supposedly a bit wider than Astra. It should give a bit more feel.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
One of my first "better" razors was the Mamba 70. It's a fine piece if equipment for sure. Enjoy the Mamba!

Oh, if the Henson was not smooth enough for you and you liked the Mamba, you are very much in the very mild spectrum of shavers.
Yeah, I probably am. Though I would have liked a bit more bite in the shave, but with the same blade geometry.

But tbh, I'm also considering the Wunderbar because of its similar curve to the BBS, but not as the next purchase.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
no feeling of scraping at all

0.53 Mamba RAD resuming…

Thank you for the review! Looking forward to your opinion of the next, several shaves.

Your use of single, WTG pass reminds me of @brucered ‘s comment on a Mamba 0.53 thread a few years ago:

I have the original Mamba with a different handle. It's been my daily razor since I bought it back in Oct.

I'm a night shaver, Monday through Thursday and then I have a Sunday night shave. I get away with one pass, WTG and have no issues with it giving me a DFS, even by morning for work. It is a great razor.

And yes, I said One Pass. That is all anyone needs if they do it properly

I like doing one ATG pass, but don’t have the skills to do it well. Was doing so riding the cap of the BBS last night, but some scrapes were found by the alum and the rest were found by the alcohol splash.

Will try as much just WTG as I can tolerate (a little ATG needed at base of throat or my skin is too pokey) and see if it’s similar.

I like doing one ATG pass, but don’t have the skills to do it well. Was doing so riding the cap of the BBS last night, but some scrapes were found by the alum and the rest were found by the alcohol splash.

Will try as much just WTG as I can tolerate (a little ATG needed at base of throat or my skin is too pokey) and see if it’s similar.
Would really like to try the BBS, I'm sure it's a great shave.

0.53 Mamba RAD resuming…

Thank you for the review! Looking forward to your opinion of the next, several shaves.
I just received my 20+ sample blades, so between those and the Henson and 53 (and potentially the Mamba 70 and BBS) I will be doing plenty of testing; if people really are interested I wouldn't mind sharing my impressions here.

I love my Mamba 53. Mind you, I love efficient razors and prefer more blade feel. But for some reason, Mamba 53 still gives me a decent shave with just enough blade feel to notice it's there. I don't know how but it just works. I'd like to try the 70 some day but I'm drawn to more efficient razors at this point

Yeah, I probably am. Though I would have liked a bit more bite in the shave, but with the same blade geometry.

But tbh, I'm also considering the Wunderbar because of its similar curve to the BBS, but not as the next purchase.
Be careful with the Wunderbar. it is an incredibly efficient razor and smooth too but you have to be present every second during the shave. If you are you will be rewarded. If not...well, it will get messy. Meaning bloody messy.

Going to take out the BBS tomorrow morning now :) ahhahaah just cause I am now curious looking back at the “chart”

did not realize the BBS is higher up on that chart than the GC 68 ? But many say that chart follows no logic ?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
ZomboMeme 30102021233154.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@hduty ,

The almost entirely WTG pass shave with the BBS with cap on skin was very smooth. Probably not as smooth as the 0.53 Mamba, but that’s a guess on my part.

well I would say the chart is not to far off ?

I prefer my GC 68 and my 68 timeless based on overall shave such as getting under nose and comfort

efficiency wise the BBS is very nice especially ATG I do think as said by many that blade angle helps that happen its in Henson territory for ATG comfort and can see that is up there with the GC 68 on that IB chart now that I shave with it again

Was super easy to get a BBS with the BBS :) so the name fits

reckon though going to be putting them back in the to sell box I just prefer the timeless and GC but this again is so personal as we all know :)

Top Bottom