What's new

Replaced my R41 by a Fatip Piccolo!

When I started shaving about a year ago I bought a Muehle razor. Got one with a black handle and thought it was a Muehle R89.
I thought I got a mild razor for beginners but turns out I actually bought a black version R41!
Now let me tell you a funny joke: I shave my face and my head too, and I suffered for a year of bad bites and irritations thinking that it was maybe my poor technique or bad blades never realising that I had the most agressive razor in the whole damn world :thumbup:
I just found out about my mistake randomly by hanging around in the B&B forum when looking for pics of my razor last week.

Fortunately I also caught a few discussions about the Fatip Piccolo (MKII) being much more comfortable and milder than the R41 so I decided to get one for myself and give my skin a break.

I am only on my 3rd shave with the Fatip now but I am getting more used to it.

And man what a difference! I can now shave without being afraid of the dreaded alum block (and no more afraid to scalp my head), I can now breathe while I make a pass with my razor and not curl into a ball in foetus position crying and calling for help at the end of a shave!
Just kidding, after a year with the R41 I got to master the beast but it was sometimes not so comfortable. The Fatip just gives me that extra comfort I needed.

The Fatip is still pretty agressive but night and day compared with the Muehle. I really like the feel of it and the feedback sound is much quieter than the sound of the R41 lawn mower.
I think it looks awesome in Nickel finish and seems to be a really good bang for the buck. The blade alignment problem is not really bothering me with my exemplar, just need to be a bit more careful when mounting a blade and it's fine.

I like how it behaves when shaving, I love it's hefty weight and the small handle is great for my hands. Anyway, I might get the slanted one someday too but not really sure as I have also a straight Razor and it's perfect for any situation.

I just want to thank you all guys who talked about the Fatip cause it's a great little razor.

IMG_20211029_211527_edit_69642683908118.jpg

It is very great to read that the Fatip Piccolo is working well for you. My eyesight is bad, so I bought the Fatip Grande. It’s larger handle is lighter than the Piccolo handle, but it’s easier to see.

Yeah I saw the grande has a longer handle but its hollow and wasn't available to buy in my country. I think I would prefer the Piccolo anyway, mostly for the extra weight and more compact balance. Usually I use my DE to shave my head so I am relying more on the sense of touch than on my eyesight especially when shaving the back of my head.

You started with the R41!!!!! don't think I would even try the R41 after all this time...
Yup,

Before all that I only used cart razors for many years.

When I started shaving with DE I went at it right away with the R41 thinking I bought a mild razor, like a blissful ignorant noob I started shredding away happily at my face and scalp! I guess it is a great initiation by the fire for good technique though as you can't really mess around with this razor or you will regret it and feel it's wrath.

About a month later I was crazy enough to start using a shavette, never really cut myself though, maybe a few nicks here and there but I think I've got a good technique now, I am mostly using a straight Kai Captain for my face.

Bought a R41 since I only shave every 2 to 3 days and wanted to try something efficient and efficient it is.. but at the limit for me I can only use it with +3 days of growth with a very light touch so maybe I'll have to look at the Fatip as well since it seems to be way more usable

Bought a R41 since I only shave every 2 to 3 days and wanted to try something efficient and efficient it is.. but at the limit for me I can only use it with +3 days of growth with a very light touch so maybe I'll have to look at the Fatip as well since it seems to be way more usable

Well I also felt I needed to shave every other day with the R41, I remember trying to shave every 2 days and it still was burning like hell! I once tried to shave one day after the other and I regretted it instantly. Now I know why!
I did not try to shave everyday with the Fatip but I guess with a light touch it should be ok. I shaved every 2 and 3 days with it without problem or irritation on the face. As I said I still think it is a little agressive razor but comfort is much better compared to the R41.

I only used the Gillette 7 O'clock with the Fatip as it was my best blade with the R41 (very sharp but smooth) but it must be pretty comfortable with a less sharp blade like a Treet platinum or an Astra. If you shave everyday you might be very fine with the Fatip and one of those blades.

Hi, headshaver here. The Piccolo will work fine for the head but it can bite. The corresponding Fatip Slant aka FOCS is a smooth and efficient shaver that you can use nearly on autopilot on your head.

As you have noticed Fatips clamp the blade better so there is much less chatter and bladefeel than compared to the R41 and they are plenty efficient as well.

@Kitsunekuma

I was drinking Beer and I spewed out a big gulp of it after reading the first two paragraphs.
Thanks for that, my evening was getting a bit dull at the moment.

I can really relate to your situation as when I started out wet shaving a decade ago with my Father's safety razor it was similar experience verbatim.

I never asked him why he quit using it and switched to the cartridge razor and he never told me, now I know - it was a crack head creation of a razor from which I still cannot get blood free shave no matter how much I prepare for the shave and light touch.

It just has an inherent tendency to bite me, I still keep it for days when I feel too cocky to bring my ego a few knotches down.

To be noted I prefer efficient razor and can use RazoRock Wunderbar and Feather Artist Club Kamisori style razor for daily shaves but the 45 years old razor is some different kind of beast.

I shave with it about 50 times and majority of the shaves were hold the breath or cut yourself kind of shaves, never an autopilot kind.

I'm glad that you found the Fatip Piccololo, I'm going to procure it sometime soon, right now the Game Changer 84 Open Comb with Feather blade is goldilocks combination of comfort and efficiency for me.

Same thing happened to me as well when I bought my Grande a while ago. The only difference was that I was able to get good results with the R41 from the start, while it took me some time to adjust my technique with the Grande, but after I was done, the results were phenomenal and i've kept the R41 only for a fast one pass shaves. Later on i've bought a MMOC and didn't see a point of keeping the R41 and I sold it.

I don't think the R41 is a bad razor, but it's not very smooth and from time to time it feels like it's scraping the hairs instead of cutting them and since my whiskers are quite coarse, the shaving experience isn't the most enjoyable to say the lease. Despite all of that, I still think that the R41 is the most efficient razor that i've ever used or at least that's what I remember.

Hi, headshaver here. The Piccolo will work fine for the head but it can bite. The corresponding Fatip Slant aka FOCS is a smooth and efficient shaver that you can use nearly on autopilot on your head.

As you have noticed Fatips clamp the blade better so there is much less chatter and bladefeel than compared to the R41 and they are plenty efficient as well.

Oh no, now you make me want to get that slanted FOCS even more! This is so bad you guys are serious enablers!

Anyway it will be the normal Piccolo for the moment as it is already awesome. As you said the blade seems to be much more securely clamped on the Fatip. Sometimes I could barely feel the blade but still I think you need to be careful in some difficult areas especially on the back of the head for me.

I don't want to have a ton of razors as I hate to have to choose but if the slanted version is even more comfortable I guess I will have to try a FOCS one day or another.

@Kitsunekuma

I was drinking Beer and I spewed out a big gulp of it after reading the first two paragraphs.
Thanks for that, my evening was getting a bit dull at the moment.

I can really relate to your situation as when I started out wet shaving a decade ago with my Father's safety razor it was similar experience verbatim.

I never asked him why he quit using it and switched to the cartridge razor and he never told me, now I know - it was a crack head creation of a razor from which I still cannot get blood free shave no matter how much I prepare for the shave and light touch.

It just has an inherent tendency to bite me, I still keep it for days when I feel too cocky to bring my ego a few knotches down.

To be noted I prefer efficient razor and can use RazoRock Wunderbar and Feather Artist Club Kamisori style razor for daily shaves but the 45 years old razor is some different kind of beast.

I shave with it about 50 times and majority of the shaves were hold the breath or cut yourself kind of shaves, never an autopilot kind.

I'm glad that you found the Fatip Piccololo, I'm going to procure it sometime soon, right now the Game Changer 84 Open Comb with Feather blade is goldilocks combination of comfort and efficiency for me.

Well I was also shocked when I found out I had like the worst Razor you could buy for a beginner! :lol:

I think you should have stayed away from that nightmare razor as your wise father did back in the days but you can't stop trying to shave with it thinking "maybe this time...maybe this one time I will have a good shave with it..."

I think the Feather Kamisori would give you similar shaves to the Kai Captain I have, but about the Fatip I cannot say if it would be better than your RazoRock or your Game Changer. I just know it's more comfortable than my R41 but I don't have much experience with other razors.

I just think if you have found something that works stick to it.

Same thing happened to me as well when I bought my Grande a while ago. The only difference was that I was able to get good results with the R41 from the start, while it took me some time to adjust my technique with the Grande, but after I was done, the results were phenomenal and i've kept the R41 only for a fast one pass shaves. Later on i've bought a MMOC and didn't see a point of keeping the R41 and I sold it.

I don't think the R41 is a bad razor, but it's not very smooth and from time to time it feels like it's scraping the hairs instead of cutting them and since my whiskers are quite coarse, the shaving experience isn't the most enjoyable to say the lease. Despite all of that, I still think that the R41 is the most efficient razor that i've ever used or at least that's what I remember.
Yeah I have managed to have fine shaves with the R41 too but I usually waited for a few days before shaving, especially my head. It can go through a week of hair growth or sometimes even more but then it starts to clog a bit and you better clean it good between strokes or it will bite you. It can be tugging sometimes too, I kinda hate that feeling.

The thing is I could not get a really smooth shave even with Astras, I tried many blades from Derby to BIC platinum, Perma Sharp, Gillette 7 O' clock, Treet, Personna... I even got some Feathers but I think it would have been a bad idea with the R41 so I never loaded them on it.
Getting no irritation was a real challenge with that razor.

The only blades that were comfortable with the R41 were the Treets and Gillette 7 O' clock for me.

Top Bottom