What's new

What is the hype about Feather blades?

Been using a safety razor for about 20 months. Would never go back to cartridges. I own a RazoRock .84 GC and feel I'm set for life in regard to the razor.

Let me preface this by saying I haven't used a LOT of blades. Astra, Derby Extra and the current 100 that I'm using which are Parkers. Every other page in the sub forum is filled with a thread about Feathers. How sharp they are, the closeness of the shave, efficiency etc. I also read how they are a blood bath for some people.

I did a cursory check on Amazon. Parker, 12.99 per 100 and I rarely cut myself shaving daily. Feather 39.99 per 100. Gillette yellows 14.99

Are they really worth it? I can get a BBS 2-3 pass shave, comfortable no nick. with a Parker and 3 times less the price? Would love to hear others feedback on why they would pay such a premium, other than your mileage may vary.

It's all personal. I don't like Feathers in any of my razors but I value smoothness over sharpness. I have pretty much settled on Kai as my favourite as it seems to give the best balance between the two for me. I am not concerned with cost so I don't mind paying extra for them.

The only way to know is to try. I did a lot of sampling from tryablade.com before I settled on Kai and pulled the plug on a large order.

Most of the Feather fans that I know of are using mild to mid aggressive razors and they love these blades. Not that you can't use a very aggressive and efficient razor with a Feather, but very few people like using that combo for an every day use. About the price, it's all subjective like with everything else. Feather blades are still much cheaper compared to cartridge blades, so it's not that bad. Personally, I consider Feather blades to be great and amongst my favorite blades, but not the most favorite of them all, which is why I haven't stocked with them, but if they were my top blade, I would have (probably) stocked up when they go cheaper from time to time.

I find Nacet Stainless to be my overall best blade in both more mild and very efficient and aggressive razors, because it can be tamed even in the most blood thirsty razors and can be adjusted to its aggresivnes, while Feathers can't and you can't just mindlessly shave on a auto-pilot.

For me, it comes down to the fact that Feather ship in plastic, whereas other blades that I enjoy as much are in cardboard tucks. Granted, there may be a slight qualitative difference in the shave (and I'm not convinced that isn't entirely the result of Feather's reputation alone), but on the balance, I'm happier with less plastic in my life.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I really wanted to like feathers but for me they were just to rough. I found that nacets and ASPs were better suited for my skin. I've just had my first shave with a GSB and if the second shave is better than the first as @FarmerTan as said i may just have found another favourite blade.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I really wanted to like feathers but for me they were just to rough. I found that nacets and ASPs were better suited for my skin. I've just had my first shave with a GSB and if the second shave is better than the first as @FarmerTan as said i may just have found another favourite blade.
I absolutely guarantee it. Or double the money back that I paid you to say it!

Feather are absolutely fantastic blades due to their sharpness and performance. They are expensive compared to other blades. I prefer Kai over Feather but still Kai is expensive. There are plenty of other blades that deliver great shaves at a much lower price. So it comes down to personal preference.

I only used a Feather blade twice and both times I cut myself. Sure they are very sharp but not as smooth as other blades. I also value a blade's smoothness over sharpness. I don't mind going over an area twice if I am not going to cut myself. Enjoy the shave. No rush. Buy samples and test out what blades work for you. This hobby can be frustrating/fun at the same time as we are always searching for the perfect shave and you need deep pockets to dial it in.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I still have a few hundred Feather blades that I got for $27.99/100, shipped. So I will probably only buy more as a hedge against someday running out before I die. If I see a good deal, I will buy them, even if I don’t need them.

When you find your favorite blade you might understand. For some people they never will, because they get great shaves with a 10 cent blade. You can’t blame them for not understanding, as blades are nearly all the same to them.

However! If you love them, then nothing else compares. I think those of us, especially redheads, who have fairly sensitive skin but extremely tough whiskers, like copper wire, find that there is a significant improvement over other blades.

Let’s compare it to an automobile. Perhaps you only need to drive three miles each way to work every day in an urban setting with relatively slow speed limits and you never haul more than a friend or a few bags of groceries. Nearly any good priced vehicle that gets good mileage will suffice. On the other hand, if your needs are more extensive, maybe a van or pickup truck would be better. The larger and more powerful vehicle could still be used for the first scenario, but the extra expense would be lost. That’s how I see the Feather conundrum. Take a five pack for a test drive and if they are not an improvement for you then forget about them. It’s really that simple.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I bought a tuck of Feather DE blades many months ago. Not cheap as they were well over USD 1 per blade. I find them to be the best for use in my shavette, giving me a close comfortable shave every time without any blood or irritation. I shave with a shavette so often (about 6 times per year, just to keep my hand in) that that tuck should last me many years 😊.

It's not just hype, they really are sharper than most blades. Best suited to milder razors. The mild razor + very sharp blade combo works well for many people. The best thing is to try them for yourself.

Feather blades can be had on sale at times which brings the price down (mine were $20/100). They don't stay sharp for as long as some other blades. Still, for many people they are worth the extra cost.

There are blades that are nearly as sharp that cost less. Blades only need to be sharp enough to do the job. Comfort and smoothness are also important.

Well, with all the hype about them, I had to give them a try. They really are sharp, but I'd say the Personna Med Prep is equivalent or just very close to equivalent. Anyway, I stopped using my Feathers in preference to using the Med Prep. Because the Feathers come in the shrink-wrapped tucks, I have given away quite a few of them to a new shaver in the family as gifts. Being a U.S. ciitizen, I prefer to buy U.S. made blades, so the forty Feathers I have left are likely all I'll ever have, unless they move production to the USA. Now, wouldn't that be nice.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I bought a tuck of Feather DE blades many months ago. Not cheap as they were well over USD 1 per blade. I find them to be the best for use in my shavette, giving me a close comfortable shave every time without any blood or irritation. I shave with a shavette so often (about 6 times per year, just to keep my hand in) that that tuck should last me many years 😊.
I think I'm gonna start pickin' through your garbage... Is that illegal in the Philippines? They don't use the cane on offenders, do they?

You've probably thrown out perfectly usable straight razors my friend! "Bored with the color...gone!.... Second Tuesday in my 7 day set....gone!"

Top Bottom