What's new

Brushes: what sparked your obsession?

For me it's like food. One day you want to eat a steak with salads. The following a good lasagna. What dish is better?
Same happen with brushes. One day you want to enjoy a superb shaving cream and choose a two band badger brush. The following, a nice hard soap, and you choose a boar brush. Both offer different nice experiences, not comparable in between, like a steak and lasagna.

For me it's like food. One day you want to eat a steak with salads. The following a good lasagna. What dish is better?
Same happen with brushes. One day you want to enjoy a superb shaving cream and choose a two band badger brush. The following, a nice hard soap, and you choose a boar brush. Both offer different nice experiences, not comparable in between, like a steak and lasagna.

I do not mind eating leftovers, but I refuse to eat them the day following the first meal. I follow a similar procedure with soaps and brushes. I never use the same ones two days in a row. Variety is good.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Is it possible to have an anti-obsession? If so, that is what I have with brushes.

They are a begrudging purchase for me. I don't want them all to be varied, but they are. I don't vary them often, but when I do, it's not always through need or boredom, but annoyance of owning something that's not being used. I don't give away the extras, as I do want a scrubby brush in case I get an ingrown hair that needs freeing, or feel my face needs a deeper clean to shift build up from previous products. I also want that spare brush in case either of my primary two bites the dust for any reason, as well as that one in the travel case, so I don't risk leaving any of my other brushes at home.

I like varying my blades, but not my razor. I like varying my soaps, but begrudge the fact that different brushes might get the best results from each one. If I could wave a magic wand, I would love it if every brush ever made was identical, so I don't have to entertain the thought that maybe my lather would have been better today, had I used a different brush. However, as I do know that brushes make a difference, I do have to find out which of my brushes work best with that particular product. I also cannot just go to one brush, because I'd be wondering which of the brushes I got rid of, I should have kept instead, to get the best results with each new soap I try.

See what I mean about anti-obsession? I only used to have one, and knew no better. Now I have multiples, I have discovered there is one more variable than I want, but still want to manage that variable as best I can. Brushes are for me, the least enjoyable part of the shave kit. Until I actually need that really scrubby brush to fix up a problem, then they are wonderful. However, I don't want that level of scrub every shave....

At least I have something that I can palm some blame onto, if I start using a new soap, and don't get the results I want straight away :p

My first high-end badger. I'd owned several lower end silvertips, and none of them came close to my synthetics. Then I got an Oumo Manchurian and all bets were off. Along with a Maggards SHD and Declaration B9A+, I'm now done. Synthetics work just as well as high-end badgers, but aren't as luxurious

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I thought I'd resurrect a thread rather than start a new one.

I showed up on B&B with one brush I really liked. I just read "new posts" to start with... getting acclimated to a new forums site. I was already content with my razor but looked around to see what others were using in the SOTD threads. I had one synth brush that I liked a lot but thought, I might add a couple other synths just for fun. I didn't like any of them and got into a bit of a panic, as several people noted and they weren't wrong. I even went so far as to buy a duplicate of the one brush I did like.

Jim (Chan Eil Whiskers) sort of gently calmed me down. He didn't call me stupid or foolish (though several other people did), just said, he didn't think he'd buy a duplicate brush just because he thought he'd never find another one he liked. He casually mentioned he liked his Omega Evo. I ended up buying one and liked it immediately.... Synth fears abated.

This takes me up to May.....I started reading Mistura May Madness. When you start reading threads outside of your own paradigm it is interesting. You have a couple choices. You can lose interest or decide to make a purchase to expand or alter your paradigm. I ended up buying a pair of Semogue Owner's Club Misturas. That changed my conceptions about shaving brushes.

I'm sure had I stayed with the two synth brushes I really liked, I would have been fine and/or satisfied with their performance. The thing is, I really enjoyed the different feel of natural fibers on my face. During that month of May, lots of people shared their experiences with their brushes. You know how threads go: they take on a life of their own and the thread winds like a river on its way to the sea. People discussed their mixed bristle brushes, of course.... but also their badger, synth and boar brushes.

I ended up reading the entire December Boar month thread too. That was fun and I ended up buying a few boar brushes for fun. Most of them are relatively inexpensive. Along the way, I ended seeing the Zenith Manchurian badger brushes recommended in several posts and decided to buy one. Mine felt nice from the first shave, though I did it put through a couple wet/dry cycles before I used it.

Tomorrow will mark my 4th month here. My gear acquisition phase is winding down. Early on, I was able to select a few soaps/creams that work for me. I'm not fond of strong scents which is a good thing, since it turns out, my skin reacts to them. I added a few nice, titanium handles to my razors which made them more maneuverable. I tried all the AC blades available with a couple exceptions. I have a very nice brush collection now, including 4 very fine badgers. I'm working on my skin, finding what works best to keep it clear. The recommendations for that have been better than what the dermatologist prescribed for me a few days ago, at least, so far.

I've had a very engaging 4 months. It's been a ton of fun and I've made some friends along the way. I don't know what the next 4 months will bring. I'm pretty sure the friendships I've made will continue to deepen, at least, I hope they do. I don't want to make predictions so I won't. I'm sure I'll add this or that to my gear, but I believe the foundation is set. It's sort of an odd feeling at the moment. I'm not quite sure how to describe it.. on the one hand, there is that let down when you reach the end of frenzied activity. On the other, a sense of contentment is beginning to emerge. All along the way, I've been enjoying my shaves more and more... sort of parallel path, if you will. Just using one razor for 4 months has assisted in that, I think. I've gotten to know my face in ways I never did when I was using a Gillette Fusion Power.

Anyway, if you read this far and haven't moved on... thx for reading this very long post. I didn't intend it to be this long... or involved.

Thanks to all of you who have participated in my initial journey into traditional wet shaving. Feel free to comment, make your own predictions about the next 4 months or so for me.... etc.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
First year or two I had 2 real cheap Chinese synthetics(testing synthetics) and a Omega boar that I did not enjoy breaking it in(Greenhorn experimenting) but I progressed to Razorock Plissoft synthetic brush and really noticed a huge difference in quality of lather and face feel. Bought another RR Plissoft and was content and then folks where amazed by these new tuxedo knots and so I bought a Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo knot and was impressed. Then bought a Yaqi 24mm synthetic Cashmere knot with defective handle and was very happy also and since then never looked back.
I always buy sales if possible and have one of the finest brush collections in my den. Mostly Yaqi & Razorock brushes and find them of good quality + affordable. I was content with synthetics but then Yaqi had some big sales on badger brushes and find them excellent brushes also + I enjoy my boar brushes by learning how to break in a boar brush quicker also( Now I have 5 boar).
Yes, I have more brushes then is needed but 5 years ago the 2&3 generation synthetic brushes where just coming out that were in reach for budget minded folks like myself. Then affordable good mid range quality badger brushes I thought I would like were also with in reach and then also bought some more boar brushes that where affordable and of reasonable quality. That is how I accumulated a lot of great brushes over 5 year period with out breaking my bank.
Newbie's right now have so much shaving eye candy that the temptation is great for budget minded and luxury items IMO.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
First year or two I had 2 real cheap Chinese synthetics(testing synthetics) and a Omega boar that I did not enjoy breaking it in(Greenhorn experimenting) but I progressed to Razorock Plissoft synthetic brush and really noticed a huge difference in quality of lather and face feel. Bought another RR Plissoft and was content and then folks where amazed by these new tuxedo knots and so I bought a Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo knot and was impressed. Then bought a Yaqi 24mm synthetic Cashmere knot with defective handle and was very happy also and since then never looked back.
I always buy sales if possible and have one of the finest brush collections in my den. Mostly Yaqi & Razorock brushes and find them of good quality + affordable. I was content with synthetics but then Yaqi had some big sales on badger brushes and find them excellent brushes also + I enjoy my boar brushes by learning how to break in a boar brush quicker also( Now I have 5 boar).
Yes, I have more brushes then is needed but 5 years ago the 2&3 generation synthetic brushes where just coming out that were in reach for budget minded folks like myself. Then affordable good mid range quality badger brushes I thought I would like were also with in reach and then also bought some more boar brushes that where affordable and of reasonable quality. That is how I accumulated a lot of great brushes over 5 year period with out breaking my bank.
Newbie's right now have so much shaving eye candy that the temptation is great for budget minded and luxury items IMO.
I think being a newbie right now is outstanding. The synth brushes have matured so they don't feel like plastic sticking into your skin. The Misturas are amazing now, even the non Limited Edition ones are great. There are many mid prices badger brushes too. I started with a Zenith M23 copper handle. (these are often referred to as the 506 handles as well. It depends where you purchase them). I just love the handle. It feels like magic in my hand... and the knot is excellent. At least, mine is.... My other badgers are quite expensive but I found one I love, thanks to Jim/Chan Eil Whiskers and have a two of them in hand... and a couple more on order. My brush collection is complete.... for now. One never knows what will pop up.

I have enough boars to have a nice run during December Boar month. I'm looking forward to that.

I looked a Yaqi. I could never seem to find the handle I liked with the right diameter. I tend to like the 26mm brushes. The handles I love are 24mm max... at least, at this point. But they sure are priced right.

I know I've spent more money than I would have had I not stumbled across B&B, but it was all planned. I had some extra cash around so I didn't take anything away from the family budget. The people here have experimented with every shaving variation possible and that wealth of knowledge has kept me from making many mistakes. I've made a few because I didn't quite get things researched thoroughly but they've been inexpensive. I just chalk that up to the learning experience.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have no problems with brush handles and quite enjoy most of my Yaqi & Razorock handled brushes. Artisan Brush makers will make any brush you want nowadays it seems.
I just saw a video Sig Solo had a razor handle custom made 6" long, way to long for me but he has huge hands he claims and orders all his handles 4 inches or longer if possible.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have no problems with brush handles and quite enjoy most of my Yaqi & Razorock handled brushes. Artisan Brush makers will make any brush you want nowadays it seems.
I just saw a video Sig Solo had a razor handle custom made 6" long, way to long for me but he has huge hands he claims and orders all his handles 4 inches or longer if possible.
I was referring to the colors.. not the handle shapes. I have quite a few different handle designs and like all of them with two exceptions.... I didn't do well with the two PAA brushes I purchased... both used quite a bit here so I thought they were a safe purchase.

I had no idea when I showed up on B&B that shaving was so subjective. Coming from cartridge razors and canned goo, I didn't realize this world existed.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think being a newbie right now is outstanding. The synth brushes have matured so they don't feel like plastic sticking into your skin. The Misturas are amazing now, even the non Limited Edition ones are great. There are many mid prices badger brushes too. I started with a Zenith M23 copper handle. (these are often referred to as the 506 handles as well. It depends where you purchase them). I just love the handle. It feels like magic in my hand... and the knot is excellent. At least, mine is.... My other badgers are quite expensive but I found one I love, thanks to Jim/Chan Eil Whiskers and have a two of them in hand... and a couple more on order. My brush collection is complete.... for now. One never knows what will pop up.

I have enough boars to have a nice run during December Boar month. I'm looking forward to that.

I looked a Yaqi. I could never seem to find the handle I liked with the right diameter. I tend to like the 26mm brushes. The handles I love are 24mm max... at least, at this point. But they sure are priced right.

I know I've spent more money than I would have had I not stumbled across B&B, but it was all planned. I had some extra cash around so I didn't take anything away from the family budget. The people here have experimented with every shaving variation possible and that wealth of knowledge has kept me from making many mistakes. I've made a few because I didn't quite get things researched thoroughly but they've been inexpensive. I just chalk that up to the learning experience.
Correction: Well, sort of.... I'm actually correcting something I posted a few minutes ago.... Zenith makes a variety of 506 handles... with a variety of knots in them. Sorry in advance for the very long link but here are images of the 506 handles:

Last edited:
Top Bottom