What's new

Great Classic Fragrances

I am starting to think the very best fragrances are often those that have been selected by time to have deserved to endure. And there would be some logic to that.

Acqua di Parma Colonia is, I have come to realise, the greatest scent in the world. If the world and everything in it smelled of AdP Colonia it would be a truly wonderful place and I am sure there could be no war in such a world. This thought inspired me (semi-seriously) to pick up a bottle of Old Spice aftershave from the local supermarket the other day and, by opening my mind and ignoring the connotations of incontinent decrepitude that I always assumed it to evoke, and the low price, I find it is also an excellent scent which I consider now to be superior to most new and expensive fragrances.

So now I seek help and opinions. What other long-enduring, classic fragrances should we all be reconsidering? What else represents under-appreciated greatness, and what is horridly outdated and unfitting to the modern world? Of course you can disagree with the whole premise too, and I won’t even be offended if you detest AdP Colonia.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Great question, and I like the way you think. ADP Colonia and Old Spice are worlds apart in price, but both classics, and you recognize you like them both regardless of price. I'm of the opinion that in scents, price and 'quality' of the scent are pretty much not related.

Recognizing this is a hugely subjective thing, here are some classic scents I think you may want to investigate.

Pinaud Clubman aftershave, barbershop classic

Floid The Original, new re-release of the classic

Creed scents are timeless and enduring, but ridiculously expensive, I mean stratospheric. But their two most classic scents, Aventus, and Green Irish Tweed, have many artisans creating homages to those scents that are, if not spot-on, close enough for government work given their price points. Stirling makes Executive Man (Aventus) and Sharp Dressed Man (Green Irish Tweed) I think in both A/S splashes and EDTs. Others will chime in with other makers, as well. If $130-$180 don't phase you for 3-4 oz of men's cologne, then get the Creed.

Eau Savage has already been mentioned

Aramis is one of my favorites.

If you like citrusy, Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet is terrific, but up there in the $160 range for 3 Ounces. I think this was made for Winston Churchill, but I could be wrong. I love the shaving cream.

There's a start for you. What a wonderful rabbit hole to go down into! :lol:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Just wait. You don't know what you're in for with this thread! You're about to be overwhelmed, if I don't miss my guess. :lol:

But one of those Creed scents (maybe both, I lean toward GIT) will likely rock your world.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Lordy, how could I forget this???? @luvmysuper will be along shortly to chastise me, I'm sure. But you simply must try

proxy.php

Perhaps the single most controversial scent on the planet. But nobody can argue it is not a classic that has withstood the test of time. Phil is the historian, but I believe it was created in the 1880's or thereabouts? And a bottle was in John Wayne's dopp kit when he died. True story.

Love it, hate it, it's a "classic scent", no argument there. I love it. Perhaps you, too, are chosen??

I doubt that you will be overwhelmed, but the proffered task is kind of overwhelming!

Classic, time-tested scents that are not out dated or unfitting to a modern world. I am thinking you are looking for something that is relatively easily accessible. Based on the latter, I think I would take Knize Ten and C&S 88 off the list, although I would say they fit the other criteria. I think leathers in general come off the list for the same reason. And I do not think I am going to take a short at underappreciated greatness.

Guerlain Vetiver fits, I would say. I think all the one's named, except I do not know Avon scents well enough and Lilac Vegetal is too controversial. C&S Oxford and Cambridge. Polo Green, especially the vintage version. Azarro Pour Homme. Terre d’Hermès. Floris Special No 127 and No. 89. The latter may be outdated, I suppose. 4711 except that it has no legs at all. There must be a hundred more.

Some would say Acqua Di Gio By Giorgio Armani, but it's time has sort of passed to my mind. I think I would say the same about Sauvage by Christian Dior, which is very different from Eau Savage, and about Le Male, but whoever makes that one. Same for even Chanel Bleu de Chanel. All of the foregoing were highly influential colognes. Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme, same. I would say the same about Aramis, frankly, especially the current formulation.

Based on your liking AdP, I would propose Byblos Uomo and Minotaure by Paloma Picasso.
My memories of both of these is of heavenly citrus-inspired delight.
I can't speak of the current formulations though, I haven't tried them in over 25 years.

Thanks to everyone for all the great responses and suggestions so far. That is already a wealth of things to research and try and will keep me occupied for a long time. I definitely want to get some Fabergé Brut - never smelled it but it’s one of those things that were prominently advertised from my childhood and I’m glad someone brought it up.

As a first step I have a bottle of Creed Green Irish Tweed on the way. I gather this is worn by Prince Charles, which I decided should not put me off (although his taste in…everything…is catastrophically bad and his association with the fragrance cannot have been helpful for Creed). I also picked up some Fine Green Vetiver, which I understand to be a copy of the Guerlain Vetiver.

Pinaud Lilac Vegetal is sitting in my basket with one retailer for whenever my next purchase is. I’m intrigued.

Some of the others mentioned I have had for years and know well. Chanel Bleu, L’Eau d’Issey, Terre d’Hermes.

Top Bottom