What's new

Muhle R41 compared to Gillette old type

I recently received a 1914 Gillette pocket razor open comb. I shaved with it last night and I really, really liked it. It was smooth and efficient. Compared to my Gillette heritage, it is a night and day difference.

I am wondering how this compares to something like a muhle R41 in terms of aggressiveness. I own mostly antique DE and straight razors, but if I were to add a newer one to the collection I would want something comparable to that Gillette.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20211020_161921682.jpg
    IMG_20211020_161921682.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 33
The Muhle R41 isn't as smooth IMHO, blade rigidity on the old type is far better and it's noticeable.

If you want something modern that's relatively close, I'd look at the Fatip's - like the Old type, you'll have to fiddle to align the blade, but it's rigid, smooth and like the Old, has no blade gap.

If you're into vintage, make sure you try a New short-comb.
In my opinion it's the best open comb Gillette ever made and better than everything modern I've personally tried - they're really special.

Yes the R41 is more aggressive than the Old type. And doesn't hold the blade as rigid as the Gillette. But I prefer the R41 to the Old type any day. Gives me better shaves and I can even use milder blades in it. If I use them in the Gillette I won't even get DFS. For me the R41 is the smoother razor, but then again that mostly depends on the blade used.

Both the Old Type and the R41 are very good razors, but I prefer the Old Type - especially with a contemporary handle like Charcoal Goods or TiBam.

The Old Type has much better blade support than the R41.
I don't think I'm going to make a point to seek out an R41 then. I really like my old type, so I will continue to use that when I need to change things up from my straight razor. Thanks!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The old type looks like it gives a Fatip type bend and clamp to the blade. If that is true, I'm almost cerain I would prefer the R41.

I recently received a 1914 Gillette pocket razor open comb...

I am wondering how this compares to something like a muhle R41 in terms of aggressiveness....
The closest modern razor is probably one of the Fatips. The designs have a lot in common. Fatips are all-brass, like the vintage Gillettes. The smoothest Fatip might be the Lo Storo Originale, an open comb slant razor.

1636698629035.png

I am wondering how this compares to something like a muhle R41 in terms of aggressiveness. I own mostly antique DE and straight razors, but if I were to add a newer one to the collection I would want something comparable to that Gillette.

Thoughts?
One other thought, @Jbird45. You can inexpensively convert your Gillette Heritage to an open comb using a Pearl OC baseplate. I have this combo and it works well. There's somewhat less aggressiveness than the R41, but a very close shave with a sharp blade.

The Pearl OC baseplate is available from a reliable Ebay vendor and costs around $8 including shipping. Just try replacing the Gillette Heritage base plate with this and you may be surprised.

Top Bottom