What's new

Smoked Boston Butt

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I was at Sam's Club looking for meat to smoke for today on my Traeger pellet grill. I picked up a 10 lb Boston Butt to make pulled pork. At $1.58 a pound it is one of the few meats I can afford. I got going kind of late but I trimmed the outer fat (these cuts have so much fat marbling It doesn't hurt a thing). I put a good coating of Meat Church Honey Hog seasoning on it and let it sweat while I cleaned the grill.

View attachment 1343284

After letting it smoke for two hours I spritzed it with apple juice and closed it back up.

View attachment 1343286

The plan is to let it smoke for six hours total and spritz with apple juice every two hours. At six hours I will put the meat into an aluminum steamer pan and top it with pats of butter and brown sugar. Then I will cover the pan with aluminum foil and continue to grill it until the internal temp reaches 205.

Great pictures to start a thread, brother!!!! You set it off so right! Looks delicious!

Great pictures to start a thread, brother!!!! You set it off so right! Looks delicious!
Thank you. It is delicious! My wife keeps going into the fridge and sneaking pieces of the pulled pork when she thinks that I am not looking. We will be eating it for several days still and no one here is complaining. I do need to go to Walmart for some more King's Hawaiian Slider Buns though. I should have bought more.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thank you. It is delicious! My wife keeps going into the fridge and sneaking pieces of the pulled pork when she thinks that I am not looking. We will be eating it for several days still and no one here is complaining. I do need to go to Walmart for some more King's Hawaiian Slider Buns though. I should have bought more.
Don’t forget to make a really good pulled pork taco. Make you some fresh salsa and add a little bit of shredded cabbage.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just stepped away from the table and my belly is full. Here it is after pulling it from the smoker and letting it sit covered for 45 minutes. Lot's of broth or Au Jus if you will cooked out. I poured the juice into glass measuring cups to let the fat separate.
View attachment 1343473

At this point my wife took over and using her claws she pulled the pork. I separated the fat from the juice and my wife added some juice while sprinkling a little Meat Church Honey Hog seasoning over the meat. She did this in layers and then mixed it all with her hands. Once she had it tasting the way she wanted it was time for all of us to enjoy.

View attachment 1343476

We bought some King's Hawaiian Slider Buns and made mini sandwiches. My wife made some Cole Slaw and she ate hers Carolina style with the Cole Slaw on the bottom of the sandwich. I had mine separately. Yum!!! No BBQ sauce needed or wanted on this pulled pork!
I basically used this method from Meat Church Pulled Pork except that I smoked the meat at 225 degrees and I didn't raise the temp until after 6 hours when I moved the meat to the half steamer pan and covered with foil. This reduces the mess in my Traeger pellet grill and also allows me to use the Super Smoke setting to get a better flavor on the meat.
Have you ever tried putting the slaw on the sandwich? I thought it was weird until I tried it. I won’t eat pulled pork any other way now.

Have you ever tried putting the slaw on the sandwich? I thought it was weird until I tried it. I won’t eat pulled pork any other way now.
I have and my wife likes to eat her pulled pork sandwiches like that. I prefer to eat the slaw and pork separately. It is mostly a mental thing having to do with different textures I think. I know Costco used to serve their BBQ sandwiches like that but I don’t know if they still serve them,

This is pretty close to how I do it as well. I get to the point where I’m happy with the bark which is normally in the 3 to 4 hour range on the smoker. Then I do just as you suggested which is pats of butter and maybe a little brown sugar or honey inside an aluminum pan covered with foil. But I don’t stick it back on the pit or smoker I put it in the oven. That saves me buchu dollars on wood costs. Great job and I bet it was very tasty.
I just want to say that for all of the convenience of a pellet grill, a stick burner does a better job of imparting smoke flavor to the meat. When I was younger and living in Texas I had an offset stick burner and that’s what I used for smoking meat. It does require more attention and babysitting but the results are better. Smoking longer at a lower temp is required to get almost stick burner results from a pellet grill..

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have and my wife likes to eat her pulled pork sandwiches like that. I prefer to eat the slaw and pork separately. It is mostly a mental thing having to do with different textures I think. I know Costco used to serve their BBQ sandwiches like that but I don’t know if they still serve them,
I can appreciate that. Texture is the main reason, I think, that I hate mushrooms.

Top Bottom