What's new

General thoughts about using a safety razor; 3 months on.

Good afternoon all.

Just a few general thoughts I wanted to share after using a safety razor 3 months on (from my Beautytrack to my 39c Sledgehammer).

NOTE: The Beautytrack is no longer in use for shaving, but I still use it to trim this and that after using my electric clipper on my head.

My skin condition has noticeably improved after swapping my Mach 3 for my two safety razors. I am getting MUCH LESS rash and bumps on my neck now. Not only that I find the 'ritual' much rewarding than using my Mach 3. And obviously this is a great forum to be on; its almost like a second home if you see what I mean.

Just a curiosity question, do any actual meet-ups take place in the London area? I wouldn't mind coming along to one if they do.

Jason.

Congratulations on your progress and on your improved skin!! :a14::a14:

Wish I could help with your question but I don’t live in the London area.

Glad it is working out for you! You'll continue to get better shaves as you improve your technique and dial in what works best for you.

My skin condition has noticeably improved after swapping my Mach 3 for my two safety razors. I am getting MUCH LESS rash and bumps on my neck now. Not only that I find the 'ritual' much rewarding than using my Mach 3. And obviously this is a great forum to be on; its almost like a second home if you see what I mean.
Well done on your progress. There are many more rewarding discoveries awaiting you.

Your journey is similar to mine. After I got reached the point where I felt competent shaving with a safety razor, I noticed that I wasn't experiencing razor burn or bumps or ingrown hairs, my skin did not feel beat up, and my shaves were lasting longer (no 5 o'clock shadow showing up early).

My next discovery was that I could comfortably shave "against the grain" which I could never do before, resulting in an even closer shave.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks for the edification, @saj1985 ! To live in such a cultural hotbed and have ARKO! is inconceivable to me.

USA person, though.
Brother!

You of all people ain't dissin' on Arko?

This is definitely going to be brought before the "Knights of the Arko-table" my friend!

Anyway! Great thread @JasonJT ! Keep up the good work. If I ever make it to London I will look you up!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
You of all people ain't dissin' on Arko?

I wasn’t and won’t disrespect ARKO! soap.

Could you imagine the grandeur of living in the city where lots of the Industrial Revolution was started? Where Black Sabbath created the heavy metal of rock n roll? To be there — at the heart of it all — and starting or ending your day by lathering up with a stick ARKO! to shave on hallowed ground?

Describing how great that must feel, well, doing so would be blasphemy in most faiths and every secular philosophy worth its salt. The shave would be redemption, but speaking of its awesomeness a divine heresy.

Also, you picked my soap for tonight. Thank you!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I wasn’t and won’t disrespect ARKO! soap.

Could you imagine the grandeur of living in the city where lots of the Industrial Revolution was started? Where Black Sabbath created the heavy metal of rock n roll? To be there — at the heart of it all — and starting or ending your day by lathering up with a stick ARKO! to shave on hallowed ground?

Describing how great that must feel, well, doing so would be blasphemy in most faiths and every secular philosophy worth its salt. The shave would be redemption, but speaking of its awesomeness a divine heresy.

Also, you picked my soap for tonight. Thank you!
I OBVIOUSLY can't read, and am acting like I did 45+ years ago on a Friday night! Forgive me my friend!!!

Thanks for the edification, @saj1985 ! To live in such a cultural hotbed and have ARKO! is inconceivable to me.

USA person, though.
you know i dont know what soaps local barbers use as last time i went ages ago they used a shave gel i think off the top of my head for my head shave

its mostly turkish, arab and south asian barbers are around here,
ive noticed more turkish barbers popping up offering hot towel wet shaves,
tbf getting a shave done at the barber is relaxing and theraputic

btw the barbers seem to be using derby extra (green) and gillette yellow 7 o clock

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I thought you, @saj1985 , had ARKO! in your household.

I always think of think of just four countries when people mention South Asia: India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh. People get Nepal’d when I don’t mention Bhutan.

Top Bottom