What's new

Vintage Gillette Razors most efficient help?

I've got the 1918 Old type with the thin 102 top cap, like it alot, very efficient.
Are there any vintage Gillette razors that are more efficient or just as efficient and smoother than this one because I really like it?
I really don't want to buy them all to try since there are so many guys that already know this.
Which one do I need to concentrate on, nothing less efficient though, at this time.

Found out recently a coworker was a wet shaver. Told him about all of my razors. He told me he just owned one, an Old Type. I told him that is all you need.

I got my first Old Type toward the end of my razor purchases and came to the conclusion that they got it right with the first.

Not trying to contribute to RAD but try and locate a WW1 era US Military kit. Most beautiful presentation of a razor I’ve ever seen.

Found out recently a coworker was a wet shaver. Told him about all of my razors. He told me he just owned one, an Old Type. I told him that is all you need.

I got my first Old Type toward the end of my razor purchases and came to the conclusion that they got it right with the first.

Not trying to contribute to RAD but try and locate a WW1 era US Military kit. Most beautiful presentation of a razor I’ve ever seen.
You know two hands for the modern razors second time I used the old type single ring I thought huh I can use this one instead.
The thing is it makes me wonder what else I'm missing in the most efficient ones only.
What does that WW1 kit razor go by, cuz I saw a bulldog somebody had the other day, I believe it's what that was called. Maybe I should say what style of head, years etc..

It is a nickel plated brass case, cool embossing. They made others for other countries, not sure how many countries but I know Canada was one. People like the Khakis from the era also.

I have 3 and they are thin caps.

They were available for one year I think. They are not military issue but nice kits which could be purchased by family members for soldiers.

It is a nickel plated brass case, cool embossing. They made others for other countries, not sure how many countries but I know Canada was one. People like the Khakis from the era also.

I have 3 and they are thin caps.

They were available for one year I think. They are not military issue but nice kits which could be purchased by family members for soldiers.
I'll see what you mean those are pretty nice to collect.
I'm trying to narrow out collecting sort through to the couple of most efficient Gillette vintage razors.

My Super 84 is my best razor, vintage and modern, hands down and I also own Gibbs razors. Smooth and efficient. I got mine NOS. The only issues with the Supers are the abuse they endured and finding one in good shape. It is a short handled Super Adjustable. They made the Super 109 with a longer handle. The 84s went away eventually and the 109s eventually acquired black nylon baseplates starting in 1977 I believe. They call the black nylon baseplate versions, black beauties. They made them, including later until the end of the run in 1988 with diamond knurling.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
New Deluxe is my favorite -- smoother than the Old Types but cuts stubble just as well or better.

Easier to find might be the New Improved that, to me, is a step above what you have as well.

New Deluxe has a flatter bottom with no posts.
full

My highest rated until last week were Gillette Toggle and Rocket HD 500. Toggle is adjustable which is always a plus since you can dial it in for your comfort level.

Years ago I tossed an Ol Type into te drawer. The handle was cracked, and solder & other repair methods just didn't work. Pulled it out orf the back of the drawer a couple of years back & decided to build my own handle. I salvaged the handle ends and nickeled a length of brass tubing. It shaves great with about any blade, ranging from Treet Black Beauty to Lab Blues. I've got many other glitzier vintage Gillettes, but this Old Type is forever the go-to for a great shave.
Old Type New Handle.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Years ago I tossed an Ol Type into te drawer. The handle was cracked, and solder & other repair methods just didn't work. Pulled it out orf the back of the drawer a couple of years back & decided to build my own handle. I salvaged the handle ends and nickeled a length of brass tubing. It shaves great with about any blade, ranging from Treet Black Beauty to Lab Blues. I've got many other glitzier vintage Gillettes, but this Old Type is forever the go-to for a great shave.
View attachment 1349874
That looks glorious.
I'd say the NEW Long Comb is right up there with the best of the vintage Gillettes. Not too difficult to find, either.
^^^^^^THIS^^^^^!

The metal embossed case US service sets weren't military issue, but are pretty neat.
OP check this recent thread out, some nice pics of a couple Gillette khaki sets (army issue), as well as the history.
Your 1918 old type is the same razor...
If you want earlier, classier, slightly more aggressive (imo), check out the ABC pocket edition sets.

My highest rated until last week were Gillette Toggle and Rocket HD 500. Toggle is adjustable which is always a plus since you can dial it in for your comfort level.
Sledge, you know I have to ask what happened last week?

View attachment 1349874
That's great, good job on that!

The metal embossed case US service sets weren't military issue, but are pretty neat.
OP check this recent thread out, some nice pics of a couple Gillette khaki sets (army issue), as well as the history.
Your 1918 old type is the same razor...
If you want earlier, classier, slightly more aggressive (imo), check out the ABC pocket edition sets.
American button company razors are really nice.
Edit: I didn't realize those were more aggressive or efficient razors, assumed they were the same but nicer looking.

G

Guest2023

For me, the most efficient doesn't mean the best. The most efficient Gillette razor for me is New Improved or New Deluxe. though they are not the best Gillette for me.

Top Bottom