What's new

Silver Star blades. What are other shaver's opinions on these please?

Always preferred the L5 to the L6.
You have to buy an L5.
Did I say you have to buy an L5?
I know that razor, but I don't have it.
Still I was talking about buying an L5. And so was @Hak.1963 :lol:
Last time I checked it was $5.40 on Amazon.
It's incredible how much razor you can get for that little money.
Lord L5 is really Nice.
Starting tomorrow it's at least two weeks with Lord L5 and Silver Star 😎

I've been reading a lot about these blades and have always been curious how good are they. Can anyone compare them to blades like Nacet, Bolzano, Polsilver, BIC Chrome Platinum. If they are just as good as these blades or close to them, then I might grab some.

I've been reading a lot about these blades and have always been curious how good are they. Can anyone compare them to blades like Nacet, Bolzano, Polsilver, BIC Chrome Platinum. If they are just as good as these blades or close to them, then I might grab some.
They seem fairly similar to the Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows or Astra SS in sharpness to me. Very smooth, however. I can usually get 7+ shaves from one blade in a Fatip OC.

Last edited:
They seem fairly similar to the Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows or Astra SS in sharpness to me. Very smooth, however. I can usually get 7+ shaves from one blade in a Fatip OC.

I haven't tried the yellow Gillette, but from what i've heard recently in one of the local shaving groups that I follow on Facebook is that most people don't find them to be very sharp. I do however have one Astra Stainless, which was given to me early this year along with a few other blades like Gillette Rubie, Rainbow and Gillette 365, which I totally forgot about and never tried.

I might give the Silver Star a try at some point, but if they are not as good as most of my favorite blades, they might end up in the drawer.

I haven't tried the yellow Gillette, but from what i've heard recently in one of the local shaving groups that I follow on Facebook is that most people don't find them to be very sharp. I do however have one Astra Stainless, which was given to me early this year along with a few other blades like Gillette Rubie, Rainbow and Gillette 365, which I totally forgot about and never tried.

I might give the Silver Star a try at some point, but if they are not as good as most of my favorite blades, they might end up in the drawer.
If you take that approach, you will never discover anything new! You should try a tuck and see what you think. Don't forget we have the Great Blade Exchange here with @dmshaver at the controls.

Silver Stars are quite sharp, just not at the BIC/Feather level.

If you take that approach, you will never discover anything new! You should try a tuck and see what you think. Don't forget we have the Great Blade Exchange here with @dmshaver at the controls.

I do like trying new stuff, but being impulsive and buying everything that I see isn't very wise either, which is why i'm asking questions to have some basic understanding of how a blade is going to perform based on my previous experience with other blades.

You'd be surprised how much you can learn about someone from just knowing what blades and razors he prefers. There are at least 5 people on the forum with whom I share nearly identical preferences when it comes to razors and blades and if they find some new blade or a razor that they like, the chances are that I would probably like it as well.

If I could get my hands on the blades right now I would definitely try them, but I really hate buying a single pack of blades, because with the shipping I have to pay around 15$, while I can get 100 Nacets at that price. The blade exchange is a great thing, though most of them are for the US only and i'm from Europe :D.

Reactions: Anu
I do like trying new stuff, but being impulsive and buying everything that I see isn't very wise either, which is why i'm asking questions to have some basic understanding of how a blade is going to perform based on my previous experience with other blades.

You'd be surprised how much you can learn about someone from just knowing what blades and razors he prefers. There are at least 5 people on the forum with whom I share nearly identical preferences when it comes to razors and blades and if they find some new blade or a razor that they like, the chances are that I would probably like it as well.

If I could get my hands on the blades right now I would definitely try them, but I really hate buying a single pack of blades, because with the shipping I have to pay around 15$, while I can get 100 Nacets at that price. The blade exchange is a great thing, though most of them are for the US only and i'm from Europe :D.
Well, I see what you mean. One of the appeals of the Silver Stars is they only cost $8/100 with free shipping for us. They work well for me in a Fatip OC; very smooth and they last for a week. I might prefer to use a Feather, Nacet, etc. in a R89 type razor.

On a related note, I find blade reviews borderline useless due to the YMMV factor, so nothing takes the place of first-hand experience for me.

Well, I see what you mean. One of the appeals of the Silver Stars is they only cost $8/100 with free shipping for us. They work well for me in a Fatip OC; very smooth and they last for a week. I might prefer to use a Feather, Nacet, etc. in a R89 type razor.

On a related note, I find blade reviews borderline useless due to the YMMV factor, so nothing takes the place of first-hand experience for me.

Trying blades and razors yourself definitely helps you make up your mind whatever you're using is good for you or not and it is true that almost everyone has different whiskers, skin, unique way of using the razor and much more, but i'm sure you've also noticed that some members of this and maybe other forums and groups like certain razors and blades which you like as well and it can't be all a coincidence.

The other way around is also true. For instance, I would never take an advice from a person who thinks that Rockwell 6S/6C or finds Gillette Tech razors in general great or fantastic. While I wouldn't call those razors bad or terrible, I wouldn't call them the great for me either, since I find them way too mild for my whiskers and getting the BBS how I like it, it would take more time than usual and it wouldn't be as pleasant.

Got a great shave this morning with a fresh Silver Star blade in a Schone OC razor. Very smooth and close to BBS. Cost of the blade: 8 cents. Difficult to go wrong here.

Thank you for bringing me in on this conversation.

@Medivh, if you're wanting to try some different blades & want to participate in the Great BLade Exchange, send me a PM. I'm not going to let a little extra postage keep you from trying some different blades. If you'll get the blades to me to exchange, I'll take care of getting the ones you want to try back to you. And don't be surprised if I send you some extras from my own supply so you can try even more. I can get a lot of blades safely packaged in an envelope & still keep the weight down.

Thank you for bringing me in on this conversation.

@Medivh, if you're wanting to try some different blades & want to participate in the Great BLade Exchange, send me a PM. I'm not going to let a little extra postage keep you from trying some different blades. If you'll get the blades to me to exchange, I'll take care of getting the ones you want to try back to you. And don't be surprised if I send you some extras from my own supply so you can try even more. I can get a lot of blades safely packaged in an envelope & still keep the weight down.

Thanks! I will make a list of the blades that I would like try and another one with the blades I have available for a trade.

Reactions: Anu
I used a Silver Star Tuesday, Thursday and today. I had some nice shaves. No complaints. I don't think they have the sharpness that @Medivh is looking for. For my beard they work great, more similar to a Personna Israeli Red than a Nacet or Bic.

Top Bottom