What's new

random thoughts and questions - all things shaving

anyone used these atomisers for your colognes etc?

look quite handy so i just ordered it

I do and it works great with an aftershave!

Reactions: saj
for those of who're into manscaping don't you find it a bit strange and surreal that when you shave your bits and bobs you can use any de blade and it works but on your face/head it's a different ball game where you find certain blades work better then others?

I mean it's just weird as your bits and bobs are more sensitive then your face and head

yes it's a random thing I just posted but that's what this thread is all about lol 😅

p.s not sure but if it's a topic not allowed to chat about please delete post @mods/admin

for those of who're into manscaping don't you find it a bit strange and surreal that when you shave your bits and bobs you can use any de blade and it works but on your face/head it's a different ball game where you find certain blades work better then others?

I mean it's just weird as your bits and bobs are more sensitive then your face and head

yes it's a random thing I just posted but that's what this thread is all about lol 😅

p.s not sure but if it's a topic not allowed to chat about please delete post @mods/admin
Where I live now your post is downright traumatic for some. Tread carefully.

PS. Deleted emoji.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Not commenting directly on the bits and bobs but reading this did raise a question. Ever notice in the lower left hand corner after completing a post there’s a tab to file a “report”
Had anyone ever reported their own comment?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Not commenting directly on the bits and bobs but reading this did raise a question. Ever notice in the lower left hand corner after completing a post there’s a tab to file a “report”
Had anyone ever reported their own comment?
Yes and it was acted on swiftly by the moddies.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yes and it was acted on swiftly by the moddies.
Feeling bold I hit the report tab on your comment. It asks for a reason. I’m assuming reporting is always for a negative reason or rule violation. I’m also assuming that a Reason given, “the most insightful and informative comment ever” would annoy the mods.

Feeling bold I hit the report tab on your comment. It asks for a reason. I’m assuming reporting is always for a negative reason or rule violation. I’m also assuming that a Reason given, “the most insightful and informative comment ever” would annoy the mods.
Maybe it's good if you posted something and the edit option is no longer available so you ask a mod/admin to edit it for you?

any of you content and settled with one razor for good?

feeling content with the Rockwell 6s just after one use and I'm surprised tbh lool 🙀

Only thing is I feel like getting into kamisoris, straights and shavettes now lool 😂

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Keep your obsession for kamisoris, straight razors, and barber razors for your scalp and repurpose your Rockwell 6S for uses that require an ultrasonic cleaner and a defensive “don’t touch that!” when anyone is in the same room as it.

• Haha
might use the proraso shaving foam, just wondering how do you guys apply shaving foam?

Straight on the face with hands or onto a brush then onto the skin?

thombrogan

It’s your foam, use it however you want. Adding water; with or without the brush; works with regular foams. Haven’t tried Proraso, though.

just a quick one guys, how do I go around tightening my dovo shavette? seems a bit loose when it's open doesn't stay in place

got a few shavettes including dovo and Bluebeard revenge in a nice little case, just wanted to ask if this the right insert for standard SE blades in the attached pic?

IMG_20211104_133918.jpg
IMG_20211104_133859.jpg

thombrogan

I believe that’s an insert for both half-DE blades and so-called cabinet blades (Dovo and Tondeo are the brands that come to mind - they’re double-edged, but would never work in a DE safety razor).

A picture from Knifecenter:

1636039017131.jpeg

Looks like the cabinet blade would be split in two like the standard DE

follow on question, what's considered to be the best stropping safety razors out there? The rolls razor or wilkinson 7 day set?

Btw are there more out there?

I don't really know of any others tbh
I have two Rolls sets and four blades -- with that said I've restored one strop and case and came across two NOS hones and strop dressing which I've used one of. I've gotten one blade up to snuff to get a shave from, but it wasn't that good. Everyone seems to recommend honing outside the case as the hone that comes with the set is only good to about 6000 grit so I got some lapping film and maybe it was just the one blade that I've tried and tried to get shave ready or not, but I haven't had any success getting that one shave ready. Then before I went back to try and sharpen the other blades I have, I got side-tracked by straight razors and I got busy scratching that itch, but I'll return to the Rolls. The problem is that honing/stropping in the case is less than optimal, and honing outside the case, while easier, stropping is more of a challenge, even with making a jig to hold the blade. I will get a good shave and figure out the Rolls, but not now and not yet. The one good shave I got was very comfortable and easy and very reminiscent of a straight razor shave -- believe it or not, once you go so far as to get everything in line to hone/strop and use a straight, the Rolls seems a bit "fiddley" to deal with.

As for Bakelite razors, I have a Neilite 400 which has a base plate with a "mild" and an "agressive" side -- the mild side has less blade exposure and a scalloped edge with several small scallops, while the aggressive side has three large scallops and increased blade exposure. It is a very light razor and does give good shaves by using the aggressive side for the first pass and the mild side for subsequent passes. The challenge is that with it being so light, the tendency is to want to use pressure, but if you do that with the aggressive side, you will achieve "maximum exfoliation efficiency" without knowing it until after the shave, or when applying a good mentholated After Shave. With the exception of the brass screw set in the top cap and the matching brass nut in the handle, the whole razor is bakelite.

I also have a Simplex 7 bakelite razor that, from what I've been able to ascertain, was issued/available to GIs in the 40s. The Simplex 7 base and handle are bakelite and the top cap appears to be either aluminum or zamak. Both sides of the baseplate are the same (unlike the Neilite, no mild aggressive sides to the base plate), but during the first shave, one side seemed to be cutting better than the other. Close inspection revealed that on one side of the top cap, there is a slight ridge (much like when you set the bevel on only one side of a straight razor) that pushes/puts additional downward pressure on the blade/decreasing the blade gap/exposure (I don't want to have that distinction-discussion); essentially making that side more mild. The upside is that I found that a top cap from one of my Gillette NEWs (has to have the two shorter side bars underneath the top cap, the full-length bars won't work) fit the razor, increased the weight, changed the balance and evened out the gap/exposure and made it a much better, more predictable shave.

With all plastic/bakelite razors, you have to focus on your technique and fight the tendency to try and overcome it by adding pressure... which is bad. I have not looked to see if a top cap from another razor would fit on the Neilite baseplate -- mainly because the mild/aggressive nature of it works well as-is.

so I was wondering with de blades there's loads of brands out there but why are there like only so many of them that offer pre cut SE blades?

thombrogan

I think both pre-halved DEs and barber razors are more popular with people of Eastern and Southeastern Mediterranean ancestry, which might explain why Derby, Lord, Shark, and Permasharp seem easier to find pre-halved in British and American markets. Very superficial speculation on my part, but hopefully those whom actually know will storm in to correct my simple-minded outburst.

I‘ve read that halved Feather Hi-Stainless blades are the ones to beat in barber razors

Top Bottom