What's new

Blades similar to Astra SP?

I just posted my brief experience with Astra SP blades here (though it was short lived).

What blades would you rate similar to Astra in smoothness and sharpness? If enough people reply maybe we'll see some kind of consensus.

I have many sample blades coming in shortly, so I want to know which blades to start with.
(I just received Voskhod, Personna Platinum, Rapira Stainless and Nacet blades, but I'm expecting many more brands soon).

I also have the same tough beard with sensitive skin combo as you, and I also find Astra SP to be outstanding blades. Give these a try, they work well for me:
  • Gillette Platinum
  • Bic Chrome Platinum
  • Gillette 7 O'clock Platinum (black package)
  • Personna Platinum (I can't tell any difference between Israeli Reds and German made ones)
Gillette Platinum never seems to get enough credit! They are outstanding blades and always seem to get overlooked.

I also have the same tough beard with sensitive skin combo as you, and I also find Astra SP to be outstanding blades. Give these a try, they work well for me:
  • Gillette Platinum
  • Bic Chrome Platinum
  • Personna Platinum (I can't tell any difference between Israeli Reds and German made ones)
Gillette Platinum never seems to get enough credit! They are outstanding blades and always seem to get overlooked.
@ Gillette Platinum - light blue or dark blue?
@ Bic yes I like them too (200 stocked)
@ Gillette 7 o’clock Platinum @hduty these are from India
@ Personna Platinums - same for me (200 stocked)

• Gillette Platinum
  • Bic Chrome Platinum
Awesome, I have all of them incoming :)

Sharpness wise, Gillette Rubie or Treet Platinum. They both might be smoother depending on your batch of ASPs.

• Love
Reactions: Anu
Try a blade is pretty good if you want more blades quickly or Razorblades Club if you have a list, want obscure blades or have more time to wait for shipping. Or do what most of us do, gamble on a 100 from The Bay :w00t:
Thanks, I actually ordered my sample blades from both of them, they just haven't arrived yet :)

Astra SP are an excellent blade. I also really like two other Gillette made in Russia blades, the Nacet & GSB (Gillette Silver Blue). I find the Nacet slightly sharper than the Astra SP but just as smooth. What I like about all three of these blades is I can easily get 6 - 10 shaves from a blade.

@ Gillette Platinum - light blue or dark blue?
@ Bic yes I like them too (200 stocked)
@ Gillette 7 o’clock Platinum @hduty these are from India
@ Personna Platinums - same for me (200 stocked)
Dark blue Gillette Platinum I believe. These ones:
B7AFBB66-9117-4E3D-8A8F-C97EB4F65D0C.jpeg

I have an incoming order from Razorbladesclub, they have 3 different types of Gillette Platinum listed so I ordered a tuck of each.

I was really surprised by the 7 o’clock platinum. I’ve haven’t had good luck with with blades from India but they are fantastic.

Derby Extra?
Currently evaluating Derby Extra, Premium and Usta. The Extra and Premium are a lot like Astra SP's. Smooth shave and I think they give up a closer shave on my usual 2 passes. Trying to finish the evaluations of all three before buying 100, almost pulled the trigger on the Extras though. Quite a surprise. One blade I did purchase 100 of was the Treet "Yellow" Carbon Steel blade.

OP; @dmshaver is the curator of the Great Blade Exchange. Very much worth the time to swap and sample if you haven't already.

Have fun and as always YMMV, especially with blades!

Top Bottom