What's new

solid cologne

as someone who hates packing an expensive bottle of scent in my suitcase when travelling on holiday/vacation, I've been contemplating purchasing one(or two) of these solid colognes that i see appearing online these days, having never tried a solid cologne before, what I'm wondering is are they worth buying, are they any good, do they last, if travelling for a month using a couple of times a day, would 1 last or would i need to buy more than 1 etc, what's your thoughts on these solid colognes guys🤔, cheers Robert👍🏼

I've used a couple.

Pros:
-easy to carry on you for re-application if needed
-good longevity
-no alcohol base
-scents tend not to be as cloying
-you can make your own with relatively few ingredients
-body chemistry does not seem to affect scent as much

Cons:
-linear scent profile (this can also be a pro, in that you know what the scent is going to smell like for the duration)
-silage and projection can be limited; they tend to be geared more towards people in close proximity to you - more intimate scents, if you will
-you probably would not want to apply to clothing
-solid cologne can liquefy if it gets too warm (as in 85 F or higher. You don't want to store the tin in direct sunlight or really close to your skin.

One would easily last me a month, but I tend to be easy on the application. I find that applying on the inside of the wrists and the base of the throat tends to give me best performance. If you like to reapply often it cannot hurt to have a backup (or an alternative scent). I do find that I get better performance from them when it is warmer.

Overall, I have enjoyed using them while traveling. I have taken a small tin overseas with me and had no issues traveling with it. Closer silage meant no one around me was offended or blasted by my scent while in close contact.

Last edited:
PAA, accursed be thy name, has solid cologne. I have one and would recommend it. The big advantage is that you can order 20 samples and you can get a matching aftershave. It's strong, but not aggressively so. Probably because of the lack of alcohol.

are all solid colognes similar, or are there good ones and bad ones, what would be a recommended one for throwing in a suitcase for travel🤔

I carry Diptyque Philosykos solid whenever I travel and also in my medical bag in case I have to stay in the hospital. Unfortunately the cologne case is made out of stone and weighs something like 50 times the cologne. However, you can by the refills and carry them loose in a small airtight bag. It’s one of my favorite scents, but Diptyque makes quite a few other scents all available in solid format. Have a great day!

Attachments

• 1C2C6EB4-998C-40FB-B394-B7A69BA0390D.jpeg
    1C2C6EB4-998C-40FB-B394-B7A69BA0390D.jpeg
    16.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 6A11C93B-9F55-4E47-B6F6-5E114383EE8C.jpeg
    6A11C93B-9F55-4E47-B6F6-5E114383EE8C.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 13
I carry Diptyque Philosykos solid whenever I travel and also in my medical bag in case I have to stay in the hospital. Unfortunately the cologne case is made out of stone and weighs something like 50 times the cologne. However, you can by the refills and carry them loose in a small airtight bag. It’s one of my favorite scents, but Diptyque makes quite a few other scents all available in solid format. Have a great day!
I'll have a browse👍🏼😁

I've only used Duke Cannon's solid colognes and those were limited to Redwood, Naval Supremacy, Open Skies, and Oak Barrel. @SharptoothC pretty much nailed the pros/cons of solid colognes. That said, one thing he didn't mention is that some lighter scents (e.g., DC's Open Skies) pretty much disappear immediately after application. As a result, one needs to apply a large amount if these lighter/vanishing colognes in order to get any kind of performance out of them.

i would much prefer a solid cologne with a scent that lasts at least a couple of hours if there is such a thing😁don't mind paying a little more(within reason)for a decent one🙄

I'll have a browse👍🏼😁
I hope you like it. It isn’t a very popular scent. I was in Jackson Hole for a conference and one of my partners said, “hey, I turned around to talk to you because that scent of yours wafted by, and there was a person that wasn’t you. Imagine my surprise”. So the scent is pretty unique, but I get asked about it all the time. Give it a try! Hope you have a great day.

How long has solid cologne existed? I’ve never heard of it.
Here you go! Says ancient Egypt was the creator, but modern forms made their appearance in 1925 created by Molinard. Hope you have a great day.

Top Bottom