What's new

The mark of a great shave?

What for you is the mark of a great shave? So many of us refer to the superlative shave as one that achieves baby butt smoothness. Sure, who could argue with that? Especially amid the afterglow of an easy, pleasant, and irritation-free shaving experience. But what about longevity? Great shaves, for me at least, seem to last longer. That is, I seem to get an extra day or so before I feel that I'm ready to shave again. It can be argued that growth rates are largely immutable, but I have achieved BBS shaves that didn't seem to last long. So I guess what I'm asking is, are great shaves simply a matter of immediate gratification or are they a longer term satisfaction? Any thoughts?

What for you is the mark of a great shave?
Lipstick.

proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I love it when a shave comes together!

For me it is much as you described it friend @Hercule .... I would add that I really enjoy the gentlest of "burns" when the aftershave is applied: just enough to let me know I got as close to BBS as possible without hurting my incredibly handsome face, but also knowing that I have more to learn on the "wet shaving journey!"

A great shave is something that just happens and seems somehow outside of my control. This will sound weird but what I mean is that is seems like it’s happening to me instead of me making it happen. Somehow all the constituent parts come together in a way that feels effortless. That’s not to say that I can’t influence the outcome just that there’s a delicate balance between technique, preparation, and execution.

If you would have told me a few months ago that I would ever write something like that about shaving I’d think you were nuts. Funny hobby, this shaving thing.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
A great shave is something that just happens and seems somehow outside of my control. This will sound weird but what I mean is that is seems like it’s happening to me instead of me making it happen. Somehow all the constituent parts come together in a way that feels effortless. That’s not to say that I can’t influence the outcome just that there’s a delicate balance between technique, preparation, and execution.

If you would have told me a few months ago that I would ever write something like that about shaving I’d think you were nuts. Funny hobby, this shaving thing.
Well said! I can remember when my shaves started becoming close and comfortable, EFFORTLESSLY!

That was when I knew I was NOT going to be saving money over cartridge shaving systems, LOL!

For the past week, I've been having superb shaves, large badger brush, low to mid aggressive razor, and best lather ever with Proraso croap which I've only just discovered.

Great shave for me is a BBS that was effortless and very little sting with aftershave, an incredible BBS is when you add the fact that after shaving in the evening my face is still smooth the next morning.

Doug

I shave everyday and ,after my usual 5 minute 4 pass shave I get a total BBS.
Of course the next morning I need a shave again in order not to look like a hobo :)
That's what you get when you are a Mediterranean dude :)

Top Bottom