What's new

OCtober 2021

October 18
Fatip Gold Grande/Feather/single use
Saponificio Varesino Cosmo
Zenith B-27 Chubby Scrubby Boar

I can’t remember the last four day shave I’ve had. Five too seven day shaves have been my norm. Skin recovery and skin health dictated shave intervals. Since switching to vegan based products my skin is healthier, with improved comfort. I won’t have enough whisker growth for the Hunter’s Moon after today’s shave, but I can still howl.

DAC70470-D2EE-46F9-A988-AFCA5A80AD90.jpeg

First Cosmo shave Lathering

The puck was very loose in the container. I used my thumbs and kneaded the top edge of the puck firmly up against the container wall. This seals off a large empty area and reduces the amount of water needed for the bloom. I did this with the Tundra and it worked out perfectly.
Three shaves with Felce and I tried my variations for lather development and brush load. SV instructions were followed for the Tundra with excellent results. I will continue to follow the SV instructions. Hot water to cover the soap skin for ten to fifteen minutes. Pour bloom water into a fully hydrated damp brush.

The Cosmo lather took a few seconds longer to develop than either the Felce or Tundra both of which are
beta 4.3. Felce & Tundra were more lather like in terms of foam. Cosmo 4.2 beta formula was more cream like than foam. The development to slick for the brush load felt the same. The lather was very cream like on application and I went with it for my face shave. The cream like lather did not rinse as cleanly from the Grande teeth. I decided to do a little reload and thin it out for my head shave. It did thin out but with no performance advantage or improvement. Wasn’t worth the effort. Cosmo is my third favourite for lathering, I like lather a little more foamy. I need to have longer whiskers, four day whiskers are too short for the shave I want. I may try warm water lather in my cold water shave. To see if water temperature makes a difference with Cosmo. The Felce and Tundra gave me what I wanted in lather using cold water. The fragrance is mild same as Tundra pleasant enough, Felce is my favourite scent and bath bar was used for my shower.

Shave

I can now try a five, and six day shave interval to find my best length for my ATG Single Pass Shave. I know the seven was excellent. Even my wife said you just shaved, yeah four days ago honey. This shave suffered the same issue as my last shave, but a different reason. The combination of shorter whiskers and slow creamy lather. Slowed the shave strokes down and increased buffing was required for a BBS. The four day shave is now an option because of improved skin. I will be using a longer interval though. Both face and head shaves finished to a nice BBS. There was a slight alum warmth both face and head extra buffing the reason. Cosmo aftershave. Light nice fragrance was a three second tingle and a cool refreshing finish to a fine shave. Five day shave on the docket.

A real smooth shave this evening. The PAA Ascension is no pretender providing solid efficient shaves with equal comfort and smoothness. Not much talk about this razor but, make no mistake about it, it’s a player in the whisker reducing ring.

Great shaves to all…..

PAA Ascension SS/Gillette SP’s (Black Ninjas)-Maggard 30mm Tux-Ethos Grooming Vanilla Safi soap-Nivea Vanilla & Bourbon a/s Lotion-Yves Saint Laurent Y eau de Parfum
37D05B67-8499-491B-859C-B38DDB9A111C.jpeg

Last night, I had shave #33 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. Again, the blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Piccolo in nickel.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made just about just as good a lather as I could with it. It was slick and cushiony.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. After I shook my brush to remove some water and picked up the soap puck in my left hand, I began swirling my brush across the top of the soap for a minute before scooping up all the protolather left on the puck and transferring it to the shaving bowl. Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in an empty cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the shaving bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I did not feel my blade; this is how I like it. I wound up with a very smooth BBS shave. That said, I wound up with a tiny weeper that disappeared on its own during some buffing (after the first pass) under my nose.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Van der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm). I felt a tiny bit of sting from t he alum block (where the weeper had been. The sting was about a 1/10. Afterward, I also felt a small sting from the alcohol in the splash.

This was my first time using the VDH balm. I saw it on sale for $3.00 at my local TJ Maxx and figured I'd give it a whirl. I used a pea sized amount of the balm and spread it across my cheeks, chin, etc. The balm was greasier on the skin than Nivea and took longer to dry down/absorb into the skin. This might be a good balm for the winter months when chapping and dry skin become more problematic. Alternatively, this could be a travel after shave balm, since it's only 3.4 oz. (96g.).

All in all, I would give this shave a 98.5/100.

36C84993-1AF3-43BF-BC75-DD380FCBBBD5.jpeg

OCtober Tues 19 SOTD
Soap OSP Bayrum
Brush Yaqi 24mm Aqua Tuxedo
Razor Gillette Single Ring
Blade Gillette Silver Blue 3rd use
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Aqua Velva Ice Blue
This is a wonderful soap! Lovely bayrum scent, rich creamy and very slick lather...
A great shave with the antique razor paired with the excellent blade! Crisp, smooth, and comfortable in 3passes for a bbs finish without any issues.
20211019_102234.jpg

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
33E61963-F677-495D-921C-18E70DBFCD84.jpeg
PrePAA Cube 2.0 USA 🇺🇸
SoapSalt Lake Amalfi, Australia 🇦🇺
BrushBGB Synthesis G6 Badger, Australia 🇦🇺
RazorTimeless Slim OC, USA 🇺🇸
BladeShark Super Chrome, Egypt 🇪🇬
Post ShaveProraso Alum, Italy 🇮🇹, Thayers Witch Hazel, USA 🇺🇸
FragrancePAA Honeysuckle, USA 🇺🇸
Rating8.5/10

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-Series (1)
Ω10048 boar brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: hot shower
Pre-shave: refined shea butter
Lather: Stirling Naked and Smooth
Post-shave: alum block
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: refined shea butter

My ball end travel Tech weighed in at 43g. Solid handle vs hollow (?) on the Milady.
The Milady handle is hollow and is suffers from the same Old Type handle cracks from the press fit ends that the longer handles do. The weight difference between it and a travel tech is probably the brass cap and larger brass ball at the end which is quite a bit larger than a travel tech. The odd thing is that I bought it last winter at an antique store when a vendor asked if I wanted to take a look at the razors she had that she hadn't put out yet. I went through all of the MMOCs, Clog Prufs and Old Types, TTOs and Adjustables and this one; letting her know what they were, when they were made and the average pricing. I initially mistook it for a frankenrazor of an Old Type that someone shortened the handle or a travel razor--I wasn't thinking Milady because the handle didn't have the long fluted top thread. She asked me if I would take it for $5 and I mulled it over, but for the price I figured why not, besides I'd saved her quite a bit of time and effort pricing the others. It wasn't til I got home (no cell service at the time) to look at the Mr. Razor site to see it was a 1927 Milady which indeed looks different than the 1917ish models (it doesn't show real well, but the handle and head came silver plated and the ball-ends were left bare brass. It's a very well balanced razor for its size though, and I seem to get really good shaves from it.

Last edited:
A real smooth shave this evening. The PAA Ascension is no pretender providing solid efficient shaves with equal comfort and smoothness. Not much talk about this razor but, make no mistake about it, it’s a player in the whisker reducing ring.

Great shaves to all…..

PAA Ascension SS/Gillette SP’s (Black Ninjas)-Maggard 30mm Tux-Ethos Grooming Vanilla Safi soap-Nivea Vanilla & Bourbon a/s Lotion-Yves Saint Laurent Y eau de Parfum
View attachment 1348028

The Ascensions are absolutely incredible razors. You are absolutely right, they don't get mentioned enough. Have two of them, one stainless the other copper.

Top Bottom