What's new

Looking for recommendations on cheap new brush

Badger brush - I paid around $25 U.S.

Attachments

• IMG_20200115_112153.jpg
    IMG_20200115_112153.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Hi, I'm relatively new to DE shaving, but I've used brushes for a long time. Well, I used a single brush for decades that fell apart this morning. It was a boar bristle, pretty stiff, but I don't mind.
I'd just run up to the store and pick up a new brush, but I discovered that everywhere that sold them before (Walgreens, Meijer, Sally Beauty Supply, Fred Meyer) stopped selling them in recent years. So now I have to actually seek out a brush online.
Can anyone recommend a cheap but surprisingly good brush? I like boar but would do synthetic.
Hi!
Hi, I'm relatively new to DE shaving, but I've used brushes for a long time. Well, I used a single brush for decades that fell apart this morning. It was a boar bristle, pretty stiff, but I don't mind.
I'd just run up to the store and pick up a new brush, but I discovered that everywhere that sold them before (Walgreens, Meijer, Sally Beauty Supply, Fred Meyer) stopped selling them in recent years. So now I have to actually seek out a brush online.
Can anyone recommend a cheap but surprisingly good brush? I like boar but would do synthetic.
Hi I would look for a moderately priced Edwin Jagger synthetic. I have the Edwin Jagger synthetic faux horn, synthetic badger. $48 us dollars. I see you shop at meijer's so I assume you're from the Midwest, I used to live in Michigan. I had a Omega high brush synthetic but the handle cracked shortly after I bought it and they would not fix it. So I would steer away from that. You work hard for your money and want good service. I also have a vie Long red handle horse but you might not like the initial horse hair smell. But it has became one of my favorites. Enjoy this wonderful hobby! Kind regards Ron

So I’ve had a chance to use the brush a couple times and I think it’s going to work just fine. It’s nice and stiff and I’m sure it will get less stiff but I don’t care either way. There’s a roughness I like that tells me it’s mixing it up with me bristly stubble. No problem lathering and plenty of residual slickness to touch up after a pass. Plus it’s small! I didn’t know I wanted a smaller brush, but using it I appreciate its size, as I can avoid creating hills of lather in my ear or hair or chest.
The wood is a tiny bit slippery but it’s wood, so that will pass. All around I’m very happy. Thanks everyone!
Revisiting this thread to update how the brush is breaking in, which is beautifully! I didn’t really expect it to change much, expecting a stiff brush. And while it remains stiff (which I like), it has frayed out in a way that builds lather much better—denser and smoother, without big bubbles. Really happy with the brush!

Top Bottom