What's new

Sorry I haven't been on here as much. Work is too hectic at the moment!

Good evening all fellow shavers.

I haven't been on here as much as I like but thats because life at work is ever so hectic at the moment with lockdown lifting and all that. But rest assured that this forum is never far from my thoughts. I know I only have one razor (my 39c Sledgehammer) and one soap so I can't 'mix and match' just yet, but I still have loads of different blades to try and when I try a different brand of blade, my verdict will be posted accordingly. I always check the threads to pick up tips on how to improve my shave and my shave keeps getting better and better.

There is still room for improvement for my techniques when I use my 39c Sledgehammer, but even so; the shaves are FAR better than my Mach3. My skin condition has started to improve since using the Sledgehammer so that is definitely a plus point. Still got the soap I got for my birthday to finish off!! All I need is a good cologne to compliment my shaves.

My Beautytrack razor which I still have; it is only used to neaten up the back and sides when I shave my head with my electric clipper. That is a task my wife carries out.

Anyway stay safe all fellow shavers and happy shaving!

Jason.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Always better to be too busy at work than have amazing amounts of time on one’s hands. Please share which colognes you’ve tried and your and your bride’s reactions to them when you have more time.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Not a problem! Without encouraging too much reflection just yet, I'll simply note that the 39 should be an excellent head shaver just like the 37 is.

How often do you shave your head? When I first started, my wife would simply run the horse clippers over my scalp once a week. Then I started using my old Norelco 3-head to clean up the stubble after that. Wasn't using it for anything else, since at that point I'd had a beard for 5 or 6 years. After a while of feast-and-famine shaving once a week I hit on shaving my head three times a week, which is the schedule I still pretty much stick to 27 years later.

O.H.

Always better to be too busy at work than have amazing amounts of time on one’s hands. Please share which colognes you’ve tried and your and your bride’s reactions to them when you have more time.
I haven't tried any colognes yet. However my wife likes the more 'masculine' fragrances (such as some aftershaves which I have like Calvin Klein, Boss or Prada) that make me scent more of a man. Any recommendations based on my post will be most welcome.

Jason.

Life happens. Good to have you back! :thumbup1::thumbup1:
I have never 'left' this forum! Its just hard to shoehorn some time into this forum when I have so much other stuff going on in my life! But rest assured, this forum is always in my mind!

Jason.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Any recommendations based on my post will be most welcome.

I can only guess George F Trumper Spanish Leather would be the winning cologne.

I use a homemade aftershave of grain alcohol and dissol menthol crystals. As a night shaver and possessor of sensitive skin, strong scents are my enemy.

I haven't tried any colognes yet. However my wife likes the more 'masculine' fragrances (such as some aftershaves which I have like Calvin Klein, Boss or Prada) that make me scent more of a man. Any recommendations based on my post will be most welcome.

Jason.
If you have a Lidl market near you, their two aftershaves are modern, masculine, lasting, and quite inexpensive. They also have EDT, but I have not tried them; I stop at AS.

If you have a Lidl market near you, their two aftershaves are modern, masculine, lasting, and quite inexpensive. They also have EDT, but I have not tried them; I stop at AS.
There is a Lidl just around the corner from where I live. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Jason.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Boy, Jason, scents. Wow. Such a broad and YMMV area. What does your wife think is masculine? Probably your best bet is to go to a large department store with several higher-end department stores, and fragrance-only shops and spend a half day sniffing stuff. But, here is a thread on just that topic that could keep you quite busy.

The Creed offerings, Aventus and Green Irish Tweed are some favorites for many, but wow, they are spendy! :eek2: Luckily there are some artisans who come close to the scents at reasonable price points. Stirling has Sharp Dressed Man and Executive Man, for example, knockoffs of GIT and Aventus. They may not be exact matches, but with the price of Creed, who cares? Some think Aspen by Coty is a GIT type, as well. These things are so very subjective, but those are scents which seem to perennially poll as "masculine".

My son-in-law turned me on to a scent I really love, Mr. Burberry. It's not the $12 cheapie Aspen is, but it's not the $445 Creed, either, can be found around $99.

Aramis has been a long-time masculine scent, reasonably priced, too. I know you are in England, but I only know U.S. pricing. I've used it since High School (1970's). Aramis makes a range of scents, but I've always just purchased the one simply named Aramis. In the thread I linked, though, one poster correctly noted it was perhaps THE biggest scent around that time, and people my age will instantly recognize it. Same with Brut, or English Leather, I think. That may be a downside to you, I don't know.

In the Mr. Burberry price range, Armani Code, while not my personal favorite (it's very good though), it drives SWMBO to absolute distraction, so it's a permanent fixture in my den. I need all the help with the boss I can get. :lol1:

Polo Green is popular, and described as "outdoorsy", but certainly masculine. Reasonably priced. The Lauren fragrance simply named Polo is popular, too.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene is ridiculously cheap, but I love it, and so does SWMBO. It's a bit off the beaten path for some reason, too, so I don't think people will find it very recognizable.

There are a lot more in that thread, but I only posted the ones I've actually used in bold here. Have fun!

Jason.
One doesn't necessarily need yo buy those expensive brands. Quite a lot of cheaper masculine aftershaves. You just need to buy them.

Top Bottom