What's new

Artist Club Razor Maneuverability

A question for the fine, knowledgeable folks of B&B about AC razors fitting into tight spaces. I am very thin for reasons beyond my control and have a thin neck. I used to be a normal weight and had some fat on my neck. I never had an issue under my jawline but now have almost negative space where large razors don’t seem to fit well.

When I look at an AC razor it looks like the head would be much too wide to fit in an area like that. That doesn’t mean I don’t have an interest in trying one but probably won’t if I’m not reasonably sure I can use it.

So, what do you folks think? Have you thought about this at all? I’d appreciate whatever experience you have with this. Thanks!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’ve been using an AC-blade safety razor; the RazoRock Hawk V3OC; for a few weeks now and the trick with the neck (and everywhere else, really) is to not even try to use the whole blade the whole time. Same with the same blade in a barber razor like a Feather Artist Club AC.

AC razors are wider, but they’re not that wide. Most DE heads are ~42mm in total width while ACs are typically 50mm. That’s 1.65” and 1.97”, respectively. It’s not a massive difference, but it could be too large for you. So I’d just cut a skewer or something down to 2” and place it in the area you’re concerned about as a quick prototype.

It’s worth noting that while DEs are ~42mm from tab to tab, the cutting edge is only about 37mm, compared to the ~49mm cutting edge of the AC.

I enjoy using AC razors, and as @thombrogan said, you often may not use the full width of the blade. For example, I shave across the grain on my upper lip, and even with a double edge razor that requires using only part of the blade. That said, I do find the AC razor noticeably wider and for your specific issue that may make it a less than ideal choice. Perhaps you might want to enter into the single edge realm using a GEM style razor instead.

Big advantage of most ac is that they are not so deep compared to a de which head is 1/3 sometimes even 1/2 deeper. Which is a headache under your nose.

If it needs to be nimble an se wins
Ac Yaqi Excalibur / raster
Half de Yaqi katana, leaf twig, focus dynamic r48.

That's where skin stretching comes in ! You drag un-reachable place where yo can reach it !
Got it. I've not really had to do much of that. I'll have to practice and see how it goes. It will help to do even with DE and non-AC SEs. Thanks!

I’ve been using an AC-blade safety razor; the RazoRock Hawk V3OC; for a few weeks now and the trick with the neck (and everywhere else, really) is to not even try to use the whole blade the whole time. Same with the same blade in a barber razor like a Feather Artist Club AC.
Good point. I was just thinking that because of the width that even if I am only using part of it that it would still be tough to get that part onto the right area. It looks like a combination of skin stretching and using part of the blade is most likely the answer.

AC razors are wider, but they’re not that wide. Most DE heads are ~42mm in total width while ACs are typically 50mm. That’s 1.65” and 1.97”, respectively. It’s not a massive difference, but it could be too large for you. So I’d just cut a skewer or something down to 2” and place it in the area you’re concerned about as a quick prototype.

It’s worth noting that while DEs are ~42mm from tab to tab, the cutting edge is only about 37mm, compared to the ~49mm cutting edge of the AC.
This is excellent information. I appreciate you passing it along. I will definitely make a quick prototype to see how it fits.

I enjoy using AC razors, and as @thombrogan said, you often may not use the full width of the blade. For example, I shave across the grain on my upper lip, and even with a double edge razor that requires using only part of the blade. That said, I do find the AC razor noticeably wider and for your specific issue that may make it a less than ideal choice. Perhaps you might want to enter into the single edge realm using a GEM style razor instead.
I just recently got a GEM Featherweight and need to spend some more time with it. With the head being so square I wonder if an AC might work even a bit better based on the solutions recommended here.

Straight razor users get around the jawline by skin-stretching: place your fingers on your cheek and then pull the skin upwards.
I'm completely ignorant of SR shaving so I think that's why it never occurred to me. Thanks for pointing it out!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Got it. I've not really had to do much of that. I'll have to practice and see how it goes. It will help to do even with DE and non-AC SEs. Thanks!

Good point. I was just thinking that because of the width that even if I am only using part of it that it would still be tough to get that part onto the right area. It looks like a combination of skin stretching and using part of the blade is most likely the answer.

This is excellent information. I appreciate you passing it along. I will definitely make a quick prototype to see how it fits.

I just recently got a GEM Featherweight and need to spend some more time with it. With the head being so square I wonder if an AC might work even a bit better based on the solutions recommended here.

I'm completely ignorant of SR shaving so I think that's why it never occurred to me. Thanks for pointing it out!
My AC razor preference runs to small, nimble and maneuverable heads. My #1 AC razor (and #1 overall razor) is the Blackland Razors Vector. My #2 AC razor is the Colonial Razors The General. :)

I've just not found the slightly greater width of AC blades over DEs to be a problem at all. I had a slight feeling it might be before I acquired my first AC razor, a Razoroick Hawk V1, but I found it just worked, without me even needing to change my technique to any significant degree.
As mentioned above, the slimmer head of AC razors, from back to front, actually makes them more nimble than DE razors. But even comparative monsters like the Mongoose aren't difficult to use.

18538C2B-0219-4F78-BB81-7A384C0B1EFB.jpeg
I have areas of my neck that have to be shaved with something narrower than an AC blade. Try using the Gillette Slide technique, which effectively narrows the width by turning the razor diagonally.

My AC razor preference runs to small, nimble and maneuverable heads. My #1 AC razor (and #1 overall razor) is the Blackland Razors Vector. My #2 AC razor is the Colonial Razors The General. :)
Those are absolutely beautiful razors, no doubt! I’m going to probably start with a RazoRock or Yaqi to test the waters.

I've just not found the slightly greater width of AC blades over DEs to be a problem at all. I had a slight feeling it might be before I acquired my first AC razor, a Razoroick Hawk V1, but I found it just worked, without me even needing to change my technique to any significant degree.
As mentioned above, the slimmer head of AC razors, from back to front, actually makes them more nimble than DE razors. But even comparative monsters like the Mongoose aren't difficult to use.
There’s something appealing about the v2 Hawks so I’m guessing I’ll end up with one of them.

View attachment 1345117I have areas of my neck that have to be shaved with something narrower than an AC blade. Try using the Gillette Slide technique, which effectively narrows the width by turning the razor diagonally.
Excellent idea, thanks! That would fit the blade into much smaller spaces.

Something like the Vector would be pretty nimble and gets into all the tight spots like my cleft chin (or "face butt" as my youngest calls it). It's easily the tight spaces king of my den. Beats out every DE and SE tried over the last decade plus. Only thing that came close was the iKon El Jefe, but that one craved blood (at least in my hands).

Something like the Vector would be pretty nimble and gets into all the tight spots like my cleft chin (or "face butt" as my youngest calls it). It's easily the tight spaces king of my den. Beats out every DE and SE tried over the last decade plus. Only thing that came close was the iKon El Jefe, but that one craved blood (at least in my hands).
The Vector threatens to replace everything in my shave den.

While vector is nimble, the wider head can be an issue with a thin neck at certain spots. I have these narrow "wells" in the regoin of carotid artery on both sides and a narrower blade makes shaving these recesses easier. That being said, I can now manage these areas with the vector by pulling skin laterally outward. Pulling up or down vertically does not help.

Getting the Vector really opened my eyes to how maneuverable a wider blade can be. It is MUCH easier to move around my facial nooks and crannies than a DE razor. Also because the blade goes edge to edge with no overhang, I find it even easier to get right up under the nostril area using the corners of the blade.

It's easily the tight spaces king of my den.
Fascinating. I’m impressed that it beats out everything else.

While vector is nimble, the wider head can be an issue with a thin neck at certain spots. I have these narrow "wells" in the regoin of carotid artery on both sides and a narrower blade makes shaving these recesses easier. That being said, I can now manage these areas with the vector by pulling skin laterally outward. Pulling up or down vertically does not help.
I have these exact same spots. Thanks for the tip!

Getting the Vector really opened my eyes to how maneuverable a wider blade can be. It is MUCH easier to move around my facial nooks and crannies than a DE razor. Also because the blade goes edge to edge with no overhang, I find it even easier to get right up under the nostril area using the corners of the blade.
So the conclusion I’m drawing is that any AC razor should work but the Vector surpasses everything, including other SEs and DEs for maneuverability. Perhaps rather than trying other AC razors I should save my pennies for a Vector.

Fascinating. I’m impressed that it beats out everything else.

I have these exact same spots. Thanks for the tip!

So the conclusion I’m drawing is that any AC razor should work but the Vector surpasses everything, including other SEs and DEs for maneuverability. Perhaps rather than trying other AC razors I should save my pennies for a Vector.
In terms of comfort and quality of shave, it goes toe-to-toe with my co-favorite aluminum Colonial General. Vector wins when it comes to tight spots.

Top Bottom