What's new

Edge-Ucator restoration, Advice needed

I just picked up this cool vintage hone/strop/carry case for $10. As a bonus, the seller didn't know about it also been a case, so I got a free razor in the bargain.

My questions is, how do I go about refurbishing it. The hone has some groves from improper use, there is a little rusty on the mounting for the hone, and the strop is missing a button cover. I also am not sure how to tell if this is a water or oil hone.

Any advise works be appreciated. Also, will storing a razor in here when traveling protect it is damage it?

Attachments

• 32-5.jpg
    32-5.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 32-4.jpg
    32-4.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 32-3.jpg
    32-3.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 32-2.jpg
    32-2.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 32-1.jpg
    32-1.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20211015_002203.jpg
    20211015_002203.jpg
    11.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20211015_002305.jpg
    20211015_002305.jpg
    11.5 MB · Views: 22
Is it a dry hone? Synthetic?

I think water would cause problems with at least the cushion and the snap areas.

I have a kind of similar strop/hone from droescher that doesnt come apart. Water or oil on it feels like it would be really inconvenient.

I meant synthetic vs something like slate.

As far as dry - hones, especially barbers hones, may be used dry, or with lather, oil, or water. Most barbers hone appear to be separate from strops so my thought is leathers are easily affected by too much water and oil. So probably i’d try it dry or a small bit of lather first. If you can control a bit of
Oil or honing solution on the top, perhaps it might work.. i would flatten with some wet/dry sand paper to flat and have a go, being careful not to get the hone slurry on the cushion

How can I tell if it is a dry hone or synthetic?
I meant synthetic vs something like slate.

As far as dry - hones, especially barbers hones, may be used dry, or with lather, oil, or water. Most barbers hone appear to be separate from strops so my thought is leathers are easily affected by too much water and oil. So probably i’d try it dry or a small bit of lather first. If you can control a bit of
Oil or honing solution on the top, perhaps it might work.. i would flatten with some wet/dry sand paper to flat and have a go, being careful not to get the hone slurry on the cushion
Thank you. I was reading that if it was a water stone you should soak it before sanding it, but I had no idea if it was a water stone.

Fortunately the leather unsnaps and can come off.

I dont think its a stone to soak

Top Bottom