What's new

If you could choose any razor…

Only one! Can't choose between the RR Lupo SS 95 and the Rockwell 6S with an honorable mention to my merkur progress

I've seen this movie before, and I have a drawer full of quality souvenirs to prove it... I would probably want one of those Wolfman WR1 razors that I hear guys like @BigJ sing about. I'd get it, admire it, load it with a blade, use it for 7 or 8 consecutive fantastic shaves, then put it the drawer and load a new blade into my Super Speed. That's just how I roll.

You should see that drawer, however...
I'm with you. And I always go back to my Merkur Futur,

What DE, SE, or SR razor would you most want to get if you had a free choice of specifications, materials, etc.? Maybe something that isn’t currently offered but could be made, or something from the past that you would like to see resurrected and/or improved. Or maybe something that is completely different from anything out there.

For me, I would love to have a Blackland Tradere OC in brass. Would be a heavy but rather magnificent version of my favourite razor. Maybe I’m not imaginative enough but I wouldn’t change anything else about it. I know everyone seeks after titanium these days (and that would be very nice too) but I just think brass would be more special on this razor.
I've been de shaving about a year and other then it takes much longer to shave seem to cut myself to shreds and I own about 20 razors. I don't think it's the razor as much as the blade. The easiest shape I have so far is with an inexpensive new Gillette King C. Maybe we should go back to a multi blade system. I guessed to each their own.

For me. it would be a new version of a GEM bullet-tipped micromatic. What a razor! i love my Gillettes and Merkurs and etc.but there is something about a single edge shave. it’s the next best thing to a straigh, but without all the complication.

I'd want a Gillette Red Tip with a barberpole knurling pattern on the handle and a dark blue tip. A Merkur Progress made with brass would also be nice.

Reactions: Anu

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Gillette Red Tip, just the way it is. I feel like Gillette made it just for me. Its like an adjustable razor always set to PERFECT.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For practical simplicity and enjoyment I would pick a Gem junior 1912 parade (mid range) with the tapered baton handle, easy to work the face and a joy to use & no stand needed because they are designed to self stand.
If I lost it I would seriously consider the Razorock 2nd Gen Lupo.72(mid range) as a backup because blades are easier to find and might even be cheaper than Gem blades cost/per shave.($.02-.04/per shave) It's like a moving target with myself because I have so many great razors.
#1 Gem Junior Parade with the tapered baton handle.............backup Razorock Lupo .72
Gem JR Parade Mfg 1943 variant (3).jpg
Razorock Lupo .72, 2021 #2 Gen.jpg

Have some great shaves.

New Razor & Blades.jpg

For me it is my King C Gillette razor. Regardless of which blade I use, the razor yields great shaves. My only gripe is that the knurling doesn't extend down entire handle.

Reactions: Anu

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I recently came across an image of Winston Churchill's Lemania chronograph wristwatch. It captured my attention, and I began thinking of all the events it saw. Oh, the stories it could tell. There are few things so personal as a man's watch. Or his razor.

170411145825-winston-churchill-lemania-watch-sothebys-3.jpg

My choice is to travel back in time to meet someone I greatly admire, and to receive as a gift his personal double-edged safety razor. This narrows the possibilities to those who lived between 1900 to today. Several inspirational men quickly come to mind: Winston Churchill, Oskar Schindler, Mahatma Ghandi, Franz Stigler, Christy Mathewson. However, I'd pass on them all to spend just a few more hours with my father. It would be reminiscent of the scene from Field of Dreams where father and son meet and finally play catch. I would seek answers to questions long neglected: how he met mom, his regrets, his favorite memories, his thoughts from the day he died, his description of heaven.

Fortunately dad did pass along to me his Gillette Slim Adjustable (below, left). I used it until just recently, when I passed it along to my son. So, I guess I've had the razor of my choice. But it is time with it's original owner for which I yearn most.

I think I'll call my son tonight and just spend a few hours talking.

822E5D76-BF37-4BFA-B406-371AAE48F8A6.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've seen this movie before, and I have a drawer full of quality souvenirs to prove it... I would probably want one of those Wolfman WR1 razors that I hear guys like @BigJ sing about. I'd get it, admire it, load it with a blade, use it for 7 or 8 consecutive fantastic shaves, then put it the drawer and load a new blade into my Super Speed. That's just how I roll.

You should see that drawer, however...
I'd like to try a true clone of the Gillette New Long Comb in stainless. But it would have to be exactly like the 100 year old original in it's specs.

Any idea the difference in weight?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I recently came across an image of Winston Churchill's Lemania chronograph wristwatch. It captured my attention, and I began thinking of all the events it saw. Oh, the stories it could tell. There are few things so personal as a man's watch. Or his razor.

View attachment 1345554

My choice is to travel back in time to meet someone I greatly admire, and to receive as a gift his personal double-edged safety razor. This narrows the possibilities to those who lived between 1900 to today. Several inspirational men quickly come to mind: Winston Churchill, Oskar Schindler, Mahatma Ghandi, Franz Stigler, Christy Mathewson. However, I'd pass on them all to spend just a few more hours with my father. It would be reminiscent of the scene from Field of Dreams where father and son meet and finally play catch. I would seek answers to questions long neglected: how he met mom, his regrets, his favorite memories, his thoughts from the day he died, his description of heaven.

Fortunately dad did pass along to me his Gillette Slim Adjustable (below, left). I used it until just recently, when I passed it along to my son. So, I guess I've had the razor of my choice. But it is time with it's original owner for which I yearn most.

View attachment 1345521
Perfect description of what I'd like. Miss my Dad. I'll see him soon enough in the grand scheme of things.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I've really heard great things about that RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72. But...in Titanium!

You see what I did there...?

View attachment 1345554

View attachment 1345521
I’m not crying, it’s allergies.

Thank you very much for your wonderful and thoughtful post.

Another day fishing and talking with my Dad would be the greatest gift/wish.

I hope you and your son had that chance to talk. Those memories will be priceless for both of you.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I’m not crying, it’s allergies.

Thank you very much for your wonderful and thoughtful post.

Another day fishing and talking with my Dad would be the greatest gift/wish.

I hope you and your son had that chance to talk. Those memories will be priceless for both of you.
Thanks for your kind words, and yes, he and I had a delightful conversation following that rambling post.

Also, I thank you for your service. My life has been enriched by family that serve/served our nation. Your signature line reminded me of my father-in-law, who when I playfully refer to him as a former Marine, would gruffly respond, "There's no such thing as a former Marine. Once a Marine, always a Marine." Oorah!

Top Bottom