What's new

Non-gold plated Gillette Aristocrat 1934?

The ‘34 is a really special razor. At the time, it was advertised as being made ‘to watchmakers’ standards.’ The slim head design makes it a very nimble TTO. The ‘36 is a great shaver, just a tad less nimble.
I agree wholeheartedly with Dan's assessment of the two razors. The replate devalues the razor from a collectors standpoint, but you have a wonderful razor to use & enjoy! And with the replating, it should provide quality shaves for many decades to come. Congratulations on your acquisition, sir!

I agree wholeheartedly with Dan's assessment of the two razors. The replate devalues the razor from a collectors standpoint, but you have a wonderful razor to use & enjoy! And with the replating, it should provide quality shaves for many decades to come. Congratulations on your acquisition, sir!

In fact I like it original and replating feels like cheating to me. Just my own opinion. I think I will let the razor go to hands appreciating it more than I do. I didn't use it so far... Not even once.

In fact I like it original and replating feels like cheating to me. Just my own opinion. I think I will let the razor go to hands appreciating it more than I do. I didn't use it so far... Not even once.
I can understand your thinking. You shouldn't have any trouble selling it on the BST. You might even want to link this thread to your BST listing.

A big vote of thanks to Sami for parting with such a beautiful razor. It is going to be a very welcome addition to my modest collection. Much appreciated Sami…

Dear Paul,

I am pleased to know that the razor is in good hands. The razor has come a long way to you, across 2 continents. Who knows what other exciting other stories the razor has experienced in the many decades before...

Communicating with you was an honor and a pleasure for me. My best wishes for the new year!

Sami

I don't fully agree that replating a razor will always ''ruin'' it and make it less valuable. Unlike coins and other collectible things, razors are actually being used and obviously when a razor is being used you can't expect it to be in mint/NOS condition. While I agree that a razor in mint/NOS or ''nearly perfect'' condition will always cost more than replated razor, but the same razor in good, meh, or poor condition will never have the same value as a replated razor and I don't think anyone would send his perfect or near perfect razor to be replated. I mean, isn't that the whole point of replating your razor in first place (common sense.exe)?

The only razors I would ever consider replacing or at least send them for a tune-up service are the OC TTO's. It's very hard to find an user grade TTO OC razor with perfect blade alignment, nothing loose and with the original blade gap. I have two first gen. British Aristocrats and while both are in very good condition, both shave very different and because their blade gaps are slightly different.

I've also seen replated Aristocats with and without cases sold on a couple of shaving websites as well as on the bay and some of which were going a bit more than usual and all of them are now gone, so don't believe the whole - ''but that razor is replaced and therefore it should cost much less argument''. The really dedicated collectors only care about mint/NOS or ''nearly perfect'' user grade razors, so you really have nothing to worry about or believe that you've lost any money.

I don't fully agree that replating a razor will always ''ruin'' it and make it less valuable. Unlike coins and other collectible things, razors are actually being used and obviously when a razor is being used you can't expect it to be in mint/NOS condition. While I agree that a razor in mint/NOS or ''nearly perfect'' condition will always cost more than replated razor, but the same razor in good, meh, or poor condition will never have the same value as a replated razor and I don't think anyone would send his perfect or near perfect razor to be replated. I mean, isn't that the whole point of replating your razor in first place (common sense.exe)?

The only razors I would ever consider replacing or at least send them for a tune-up service are the OC TTO's. It's very hard to find an user grade TTO OC razor with perfect blade alignment, nothing loose and with the original blade gap. I have two first gen. British Aristocrats and while both are in very good condition, both shave very different and because their blade gaps are slightly different.

I've also seen replated Aristocats with and without cases sold on a couple of shaving websites as well as on the bay and some of which were going a bit more than usual and all of them are now gone, so don't believe the whole - ''but that razor is replaced and therefore it should cost much less argument''. The really dedicated collectors only care about mint/NOS or ''nearly perfect'' user grade razors, so you really have nothing to worry about or believe that you've lost any money.
I understand your point. Nothing is wrong with replating a user grade razor. I would leave a razor as it is as long there is not an obvious damage. I don't care about patina and traces of use. I have them too on my face.

Replating is like doing makeup on a woman's face. It will not make an ugly (damaged) razor look/shave better as long as the damage is not removed.

I understand your point. Nothing is wrong with replating a user grade razor. I would leave a razor as it is as long there is not an obvious damage. I don't care about patina and traces of use. I have them too on my face.

Replating is like doing makeup on a woman's face. It will not make an ugly (damaged) razor look/shave better as long as the damage is not removed.

Absolutely. I wouldn't consider replating or even repairing a badly damaged razor, unless we're talking about a family heirloom or an incredible rare razor. I was talking about razors in perfect mechanical condition without any deep scratches, dents or anything broken, but with decent or bad plating as well as some adjustment, since some of oldest TTO razors get a bit loose over time and that affects the doors, which may lead to blade misalignments and/or incorrect blade gap.

Absolutely. I wouldn't consider replating or even repairing a badly damaged razor, unless we're talking about a family heirloom or an incredible rare razor. I was talking about razors in perfect mechanical condition without any deep scratches, dents or anything broken, but with decent or bad plating as well as some adjustment, since some of oldest TTO razors get a bit loose over time and that affects the doors, which may lead to blade misalignments and/or incorrect blade gap.
I really like repairing damaged razors. The older the razor is the more fun and fascinating for me. My aim is not to make it to look like new. It will never be like new. But to make it work properly to use it with its patina showing its age. That's why I never send a razor to a plating service.

Nothing wrong with replating. It's just a different approach. For me replated razors hide there history, do not show what they have seen...

I am very lucky this one is still 100% original it was never used

new_razor_aristrocrat2.jpg

new_razor_aristrocrat (1).jpg

Top Bottom