What's new

anyone had cupping (hijamah) done?

hey so whos had cupping (hijamah in arabic) done before?

this is dry cupping

i've had both done before a fair few times but not with fire and glass cups and with plastic cups and suction guns, which is essentially the same theory behind it, its really helped with migraines before but im getting migraines again so im hoping to get it done soon again,
i did have it done on my head in a fair few different positions to help with migraines

honestly when you see all the blood coming out with wet cupping you think what the hell no way im getting that lol,
but honestly it doesnt really hurt, for me its relaxing but how find it a bit uncomfortable

i've noticed its growing in popularity a lot, with a lot of famous boxers and athletes getting it done too

Last edited by a moderator:
just booked a session to get it done again as my migraines
and general pains are very bad at the moment tbh, cant wait very excited tbh

Where I get physical therapy they do that cupping. An individual at the next table gets it done on his leg. I have no idea what it is used for. When I go later today I will ask my therapist.

Reactions: saj

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I don’t know about cupping. My shoulder was in pain, so I was sent to a physical therapist.

Where I get physical therapy they do that cupping. An individual at the next table gets it done on his leg. I have no idea what it is used for. When I go later today I will ask my therapist.
is it dry or wet cupping do you know?

honestly its so relaxing in such a surreal way

It is dry cupping. They have cups of all different sizes that they use. If I can, I will take a photo of the cups they use.

I don’t know about cupping. My shoulder was in pain, so I was sent to a physical therapist.
not sure where youre based but cupping (hijamah) is really trending at the momen as gaining popularity especially amongsts sports people like boxers, swimers etc, you mightve seen them with like circular purple patches on them lol

It is dry cupping. They have cups of all different sizes that they use. If I can, I will take a photo of the cups they use.
They also do glass cupping so instead of using the plastic disposable cups they use glasses and use a cotton ball of fire to create the suction

As much as I'd like to have glass cupping done to try it out don't think it's risk it especially in these covid times due to hygienic and sanitary issues tbh

These are glass cups that are sprayed with a sanitizer before and after each use. When the man gets done with it he looks like he has been attacked by an occupus!

These are glass cups that are sprayed with a sanitizer before and after each use. When the man gets done with it he looks like he has been attacked by an occupus!
lol yea can do

think dwayne johnson the rock got it done too all over his back, lots of bodybuilders and athletes doing it too

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It looks like snake oil and quackery to me but if it works for you then go for it. It is not a procedure that I will ever willingly experience; if only because the purple circles look ridiculous. To see a pseudo health benefit apparently become a fashion statement is a bit sad, no, very sad. YMMV 👍

OK, I just got home from PT. I spoke to my PT about the glass cups. She said it is used for muscle injuries. She said it lifts the tissue and heals juries faster. She said it was used for such things as hamstring pulls, muscle strains, back injuries, etc. She said that some bodybuilders use it because they think the "blood rush" builds muscles and speeds up recovery from workouts. She also said that some people have gotten skin infections if not done properly. She said the treatment is controversial with mixed opinions about it.

She said that the Clevland Clinic has a good description of it on their website.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I've had it done on my back and my right quad. When he did my back, he moved the first 2 cups up and down each side of my back while under vacuum and that honestly hurt, my guess it was the fascia layer pulling. Once he put the other cups it place it just felt tight. My wife's had it done 5 or 6 times, but I probably won't again I didn't see any benefit.

They also do glass cupping so instead of using the plastic disposable cups they use glasses and use a cotton ball of fire to create the suction

As much as I'd like to have glass cupping done to try it out don't think it's risk it especially in these covid times due to hygienic and sanitary issues tbh
Actually the nice thing of glass cups and a flame is that the cups are easily sterilized and the flame just before gives it an extra sterilization step.

Plastic pump cups are (overhere) not sold as disposable and contain a valve. Making them more difficult to clean and sterilize.
So if you see these used watch if they are individually packed disposable.

In tcm using a hot cup also has other energetic properties. Glass retains heat better which helps.

Cupping is not always done static you can also move them massage under vacuum

I would be nervous about infection with all the bloodletting going on. Particularly with shared equipment. Sterilization of surgical equipment in a hospital setting is very rigorous with autoclaves running at 270+ degrees F. Sometimes strong chemical sterilizers are also used. There's good reasons for that level of caution.

Plus, it always bothers me when people make claims about health treatments without being able to explain how they actually work.

Last edited:
Actually the nice thing of glass cups and a flame is that the cups are easily sterilized and the flame just before gives it an extra sterilization step.

Plastic pump cups are (overhere) not sold as disposable and contain a valve. Making them more difficult to clean and sterilize.
So if you see these used watch if they are individually packed disposable.

In tcm using a hot cup also has other energetic properties. Glass retains heat better which helps.

Cupping is not always done static you can also move them massage under vacuum
Yea one hijamah therapist I spoke to the other day said that with plastic cups you can control the suction pressure i.e more or less where ad with glasses you can't, didn't think of thatmyself before tbh

Top Bottom