What's new

RazoRock blemish

Yesterday my RazoRock SLOC has arrived and I'm looking forward to try it.
The strange thing happened when I tried to clean it for a pic for the unpacking discussion, it was catching on my t-shirt and pulled out a thread. When I went through the top plate surface with my fingers I felt nothing but when I did it with my nail, it was the catching again. I don't have 20/20 vision so I grabbed my jeweller loupe and find a tiny blemish on the plated surface. It is protruding and most likely the plating itself had microsopic irregularity not the underlying metal. Felels like the plating is very thick and sturdy
Now if I glide my finger from the top of the top plate towards the comb I feel it but not the other way round. Interesting.

I'm going to try this razor anyway, first without blade to see whether it is scratching my face or not, if not, I don't mind it, if it does than I'll contact the Italian Barber, maybe they replace the top plate. I didn't try to remove this bit as I don't want to ruin the plating. (I found other minor plating burrs(?) but those are at no skin contact places so I don't care)

razorock.jpg
razorock2.jpeg

Sorry for the pictures I hope it shows, I was juggling the loupe and my phone to find focus.

Please note I have no intention to badmouthing RazoRock or The Italian Barber, no hard feelings or disappointment or anything.

Yesterday my RazoRock SLOC has arrived and I'm looking forward to try it.
The strange thing happened when I tried to clean it for a pic for the unpacking discussion, it was catching on my t-shirt and pulled out a thread. When I went through the top plate surface with my fingers I felt nothing but when I did it with my nail, it was the catching again. I don't have 20/20 vision so I grabbed my jeweller loupe and find a tiny blemish on the plated surface. It is protruding and most likely the plating itself had microsopic irregularity not the underlying metal. Felels like the plating is very thick and sturdy
Now if I glide my finger from the top of the top plate towards the comb I feel it but not the other way round. Interesting.

I'm going to try this razor anyway, first without blade to see whether it is scratching my face or not, if not, I don't mind it, if it does than I'll contact the Italian Barber, maybe they replace the top plate. I didn't try to remove this bit as I don't want to ruin the plating. (I found other minor plating burrs(?) but those are at no skin contact places so I don't care)

View attachment 1344535View attachment 1344541

Sorry for the pictures I hope it shows, I was juggling the loupe and my phone to find focus.

Please note I have no intention to badmouthing RazoRock or The Italian Barber, no hard feelings or disappointment or anything.
Your pictures are good. I've had my SLOC for quite a while so I pulled it out to see if mine had it too. I inspected the top cap and base plate both. There's nothing like this on mine . I would send your story with the pictures to Italian Barber. They should make it good for you and they need to know if there is a problem because of other customers too.

Your pictures are good. I've had my SLOC for quite a while so I pulled it out to see if mine had it too. I inspected the top cap and base plate both. There's nothing like this on mine . I would send your story with the pictures to Italian Barber. They should make it good for you and they need to know if there is a problem because of other customers too.

Thanks very much, I followed your advice and sent a mail to The Italian Barber. I'll report back.

Scratching your face is not the problem. The head is made of zinc alloy, and that break in the plating ultimately dooms it. It needs to be replaced.
cratching IS the problem, the plating is intact and as far as I can examine it, covers the zinc alloy continuously. the problem is the extra bit of plating on top of the plating, it's like a bit of solder frozen to a point after you moved the soldering iron. except this is not made of a soft metal

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would as previously suggested contact the seller and let them know your concerns. Will be interested to see what they have to say.

According to their answer (which was prompt and polite) this is within tolerance and not a defect and I used very high magnification for the pictures. (I used 10x mag.) They offered me the return process.

I replied them that I was expecting something like a replacement top plate as easiest solution and that I don't intend to return the razor. (took a month and half the price of the razor, there's no reason to send this over the ocean again which would benefit nobody tbh)
I wouldn't even have complained if that was an aesthetic problem or the spiky thing would be somewhere where it's not coming to contact with my skin.

There was no answer since, that's because the time difference between NZ and Canada.

btw the razor still beautiful, no catastrophy, wasted more money on more silly things in my life :)

best scenario: they send me a replacement top cap (it's clearly a manufacturing defect which happens)
worst scenario: I bought the amazing super knurl handle for $22 instead of $15 and my slant won't be from this manufacturer

(I'm not sure they are selling the SLOC head separately or not, the complete razor was $22 the handle is being sold for $15, go figure.)

cratching IS the problem, the plating is intact and as far as I can examine it, covers the zinc alloy continuously. the problem is the extra bit of plating on top of the plating, it's like a bit of solder frozen to a point after you moved the soldering iron. except this is not made of a soft metal
Your razor, but - from the enlarged photo there appears to be a hole in the plate, and even if not visible, the defect and scuffing on the plate around the raised defect indicate that the plate may have lost its integrity. It might actually last quite a while, and even if compromised there could be a thin layer of chrome protecting the underlying Zamak. But the defect is on a relatively thin part, which will degrade faster, and it's a new razor, presumably free of defects. Again, your call, but it sounds like the manufacturer may make it right.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Let us know how the return turns out. Razorock make great razors, but I had rather mixed experiences with their customer service.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I can understand that they do not provide the option of "Send new cap separately".

Because this razor was not designed/manufactured by razorock, but they imported it from yaqi, China; therefore, they will not have extra parts, and a complete razor must be disassembled if the cap is sent.

Only stainless steel and aluminum parts are manufactured by themselves, and they are more likely to support separate after-sales service.

Last edited:
I can understand that they do not provide the option of "Send new cap separately".

Because this razor was not designed/manufactured by razorock, but they imported it from yaqi, China; therefore, they will not have extra parts, and a complete razor must be disassembled if the cap is sent.
not for the argument but I bought a Razorock brand something don't really care who manufactured it... I can accept if they don't or can't send a separate cap but I find a bit questionable to blame me and my loupe's magnification for a manufacturing defect. But this is their business decision, and I'm gonna make my own regarding the return and their products in the future. I understand it's a low value item with all of the consequences come with it.

We may know more tomorrow if they get back to me. If they don't, that is an answer on its own right.

I'm sure if I would be able to walk in the shop, the gentleman I am corresponding with would simply have a look and replace it but this way it's different. This product is available here in a brick and mortar shop but would cost roughly 3 times more and the shop is not even open because of the current covid restrictions, it's online too.

According to their answer (which was prompt and polite) this is within tolerance and not a defect and I used very high magnification for the pictures. (I used 10x mag.) They offered me the return process.

I replied them that I was expecting something like a replacement top plate as easiest solution and that I don't intend to return the razor. (took a month and half the price of the razor, there's no reason to send this over the ocean again which would benefit nobody tbh)
I wouldn't even have complained if that was an aesthetic problem or the spiky thing would be somewhere where it's not coming to contact with my skin.

There was no answer since, that's because the time difference between NZ and Canada.

btw the razor still beautiful, no catastrophy, wasted more money on more silly things in my life :)

best scenario: they send me a replacement top cap (it's clearly a manufacturing defect which happens)
worst scenario: I bought the amazing super knurl handle for $22 instead of $15 and my slant won't be from this manufacturer

(I'm not sure they are selling the SLOC head separately or not, the complete razor was $22 the handle is being sold for $15, go figure.)

I don't understand how this is "within tolerance." It's a manufacturing defect pure and simple. IB should make good on it and either provide you with a new cap or razor.

If I'm reading this correctly they told you there is no defect, which would alleviate them from having to pay for return shipping (out of country?) and put them in position where they're just being nice with no strings attached.

I think you're absolutely being played and I don't like that, personally. I'm with @Scaramouche , That's a defect and potentially exposed. They've been in the business long enough to understand zamak, it's vulnerability, etc.. Shame on them. It should have never shipped in that condition. One could even go as far as to say they intentionally chose that specific one to send out of country, knowing how difficult the return would be, and betting they get away with clearing it from their inventory. Just saying... It's possible.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
What I see is that they have provided you with a return process.
It may be better to return it. If you are not satisfied with RR's service, you should not let them make the money.

Happy shave :)

(it's clearly a manufacturing defect which happens)
No, it is not. It is the reason I don't care for Zamak, zinc alloy, etc.
That razor could've looked perfect coming off the line.
Imagine you have a liquid alloy, it's like soda pop with bubbles, impurities, etc. It's the nature of alloy.
Those impurities "bubble up" to the surface, immediately, eventually, never.
I've got vintage Zamak Gillette's that have a couple spots, no spots, or disintegrating in front of your eyes.
I've got newish (couple years old?) Muhle that looked perfect when brand new, and now the base plate is a mess.
YMMV, but no more zinc alloy anything for me. Stainless, brass, or stainless/brass plated only.

When busines hours have started in Canada I got back an answer to my latest mail. It's basically the same like before, the size of the blemish is common occurrence with plating, also it's location does not affect the blade alignment. I wasn't arguing these things, my only concern was that this surface irregularity would scratch my face which is straight in the alley of affecting the usability of the product. Repairing hard plating at home is out of the question.

That is basically the end of the story, the seller does not acknowledge it as defect, so my only option is to send it back and got refunded (as it is not a defect I might have to pay 15% restocking fee). Also postal operations ceased between CAN and AU/NZ since I ordered this thing a month ago, that would mean further and to be honest, pointless complications.

I ordered a cheap product and did not win on the gamble this time. I got an option to return the item I'm not entirely happy with. Did not expect the BS but that's that.

side notes:
1. there is a slim chance it won't scratch my face or at least one side will still be useful or I can bin the head and keep the stainless handle and use it with other heads. Positive thinking, eh?

2. out of curiosity I checked under the same loupe my EJ89 razor head with similar plating and it's flawless. Different tolerances maybe or western QC? Slightly more expensive than the sloc, tho.

3. I let it go now, this experience will influence my future purchases (I want an OC and a slant, one less brand to research)

4. thanks everyone for their input and opinion, I appreciate them all

5. Probably my emotions are stronger as I was waiting for this item for a month to deliver (which has nothing to do with IB, they shipped it next day I ordered it) and had great expectations and when finally it has arrived... whatever

Have a happy shave!

When busines hours have started in Canada I got back an answer to my latest mail. It's basically the same like before, the size of the blemish is common occurrence with plating, also it's location does not affect the blade alignment. I wasn't arguing these things, my only concern was that this surface irregularity would scratch my face which is straight in the alley of affecting the usability of the product. Repairing hard plating at home is out of the question.

That is basically the end of the story, the seller does not acknowledge it as defect, so my only option is to send it back and got refunded (as it is not a defect I might have to pay 15% restocking fee). Also postal operations ceased between CAN and AU/NZ since I ordered this thing a month ago, that would mean further and to be honest, pointless complications.

I ordered a cheap product and did not win on the gamble this time. I got an option to return the item I'm not entirely happy with. Did not expect the BS but that's that.

side notes:
1. there is a slim chance it won't scratch my face or at least one side will still be useful or I can bin the head and keep the stainless handle and use it with other heads. Positive thinking, eh?

2. out of curiosity I checked under the same loupe my EJ89 razor head with similar plating and it's flawless. Different tolerances maybe or western QC? Slightly more expensive than the sloc, tho.

3. I let it go now, this experience will influence my future purchases (I want an OC and a slant, one less brand to research)

4. thanks everyone for their input and opinion, I appreciate them all

5. Probably my emotions are stronger as I was waiting for this item for a month to deliver (which has nothing to do with IB, they shipped it next day I ordered it) and had great expectations and when finally it has arrived... whatever

Have a happy shave!
I'm very glad to hear you have a cheery disposition. I absolutely applaud your glass half full approach.

That said, I'm also glad to see that you will heed the warning and avoid this vendor in the future. I refuse to believe they had no idea It looked like that, nor they had any idea that this is an actual problem. Italian Barber has been in business for a looooong time.

I hope you can salvage some shaves out of it, or at least the handle. Thanks for sharing your experience. Have a good evening.

Top Bottom