What's new

Best Shave Ever with new Tatara Masamune

So I just had what is clearly the best (face) shave of my life. I’ve been wet shaving for just over a year, but still, was extremely impressed by this shave. It was my very first shave with my new razor.

Razor: Tatara Masamune with solid bar. I obtained it primarily due to Sharpologist’s recommendation of it as his favorite “mild” DE razor.

Blade: Feather

Creme/Soap. Headblade HeadSlick applied by hand. This is just what I happened to have most handy. This is the first time I’ve used it in several months, since am now experimenting with using a brush with hard soaps. But this stuff definitely performs well! I’d compare it with Cremo tubes, which are much more readily available (and less expensive), though I think that this product is slightly better than Cremo in a way that I am unable to express.

This first use of my new Masamune razor blew me away regards how easy it was to get an incredible BBS. Virtually no razor burn. Just two small weepers.

Eric

A few months ago, I bought the longer handle Masamune Nodachi (in the combination that is sold with both an open and closed comb) and found a safety razor that - with its positive blade exposure and generous blade gap - for once could match a straight razor, a feat that even the Mühle R41 could not achieve.

I also found that the results of the open and close comb heads are for all practical purposes indistinguishable.
As blade exposure and blade gap of the two heads is the same, I now believe that the closeness of a shave is more a function of these two parameters, rather than whether the head is an open or closed comb design.

Some people will probably find it hard to let go of the old notion that an open comb razor by itself provides a closer shave, but that is what I found.

As good as this razor is, one thing the Masamune Nodachi could not do, however, is permanently wane my off my straight razors. :straight:

B.

Last edited:
A few months ago, I bought the longer handle Masamune Nodachi (in the combination that is sold with both an open and closed comb) and found a safety razor that - with its positive blade exposure and generous blade gap - for once could match a straight razor, a feat that even the Mühle R41 could not achieve.

I also found that the results of the open and close comb heads are for all practical purposes indistinguishable.
As blade exposure and blade gap of the two heads is the same, I now believe that the closeness of a shave is more a function of these two parameters, rather than whether the head is an open or closed comb design.

Some people will probably find it hard to let go of the old notion that an open comb razor by itself provides a closer shave, but that is what I found.

As good as this razor is, one thing the Masamune Nodachi could not do, however, is permanently wane my off my straight razors. :straight:

B.

Lesson #564,338: Never type when lying in bed.

Of course it should read: wean me off my straight razors. :straight:

Great razor that produces great shaves...:thumbup:

I have the Masamune handle with Nodachi base and cap...a very fine razor indeed.

And yet another bit of info steers me away from the Karve F plate. I prefer my straights as well, but would like a machined DE for old times sake/bad hand days. It's been down to these 2 makes for a while.

So I just had what is clearly the best (face) shave of my life. I’ve been wet shaving for just over a year, but still, was extremely impressed by this shave. It was my very first shave with my new razor.

Razor: Tatara Masamune with solid bar. I obtained it primarily due to Sharpologist’s recommendation of it as his favorite “mild” DE razor.

Blade: Feather

Creme/Soap. Headblade HeadSlick applied by hand. This is just what I happened to have most handy. This is the first time I’ve used it in several months, since am now experimenting with using a brush with hard soaps. But this stuff definitely performs well! I’d compare it with Cremo tubes, which are much more readily available (and less expensive), though I think that this product is slightly better than Cremo in a way that I am unable to express.

This first use of my new Masamune razor blew me away regards how easy it was to get an incredible BBS. Virtually no razor burn. Just two small weepers.

Eric
This is a good razor, and as you say efficient even with the mildest configuration. My preferred option is the Masamune with the Nodachi base plate. I find the Nodachi top cap a little to much for daily shaving. I have tried all possible configurations with this razor, with three different handles. The mini Masamune handle turned out to be to small for me, but fun. I think the Masamune is even better then my adjustable Muramasa.

Top Bottom