What's new

Long hair - Thoughts, Opinions, & Styles?

Good afternoon, folks

I'm looking to pick people's brains in the community about their opinions on long hair, formal styles of long hair, and how to generally not look like a muppet while having long hair. Bit of background - I'm tall with longhair & joined the forum to discuss shaving & related topics with likeminded folk. What sort of styles would you recommend for a formal / smart casual setting?
Cordially,
Budgie

As someone who has been shaving his head for roughly 30 years, I find long hair on a guy disconcerting. I was a metal-head growing up, and had long hair down to my shoulders, like everybody else. Then I joined the Reserves and it's been high & tight, or bald ever since. I interviewed for a job last week and the GM was rocking long hair in his late 40s. Just strikes me as odd . . . and I recognize that this is my personal foible. I think I only have one friend with "long" hair.

I'd say that anything bar a mullet would be acceptable providing it is kept neat.

I’ve had long hair on and off throughout my life. I’m 44 now, cut it off last October and I think I’m done growing it long. I’ve thankfully still got a good head of hair, but starting to thin just a tad bit. Thin and long is not a winning combination in my opinion. If it wasn’t for that I’m sure I’d grow it out again. If you got it, GO FOR IT!! 😎🖖🏼

I'm not sure formal long hair (for men) is really anything other than an oxymoron in the modern world. Maybe a long haired powdered wig could be considered formal in a courtroom setting in the UK (or a commonwealth country). Short of that, I'm not sure long hair on a man is anything other than informal and/or casual, even if it is neatly combed and maintained.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I just end up wearing a hat all the time to keep the hair out of my eyes/face when my hair is long, so I generally keep it in a longish crew cut. Or shortish, since I cut it myself.
And put some kind of styling gel in it.

But I say it's your hair, keep it how you like it. Life's too long to not be as happy as possible.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’m not sure long hair lends itself to looking formal on a man. Women have more options, braids, pony’s, clips and accessories etc. Guys with long hair rock a natural look, some may say unkept, I don’t. Keep long hair looking clean and well cared for. The most formal Ive done is pulled back in a loose pony. I’ve sported short in the past, it’s just not my preference. My daughter used to do a thick braid on me once in a while, for kicks. That’s about as formal as I’m going to get.

Very few men look good with long hair. I think you have to be someone with real gravitas to pull it off. And none of us has enough of that. You’ve got to be Robert Plant or Billy Connolly - the sort of person who walks into a room and everyone stops to hear what they will say.

Back when I had hair I kept it long until I started working. Even before work I was aware that my hair looked ridiculous, but I liked it regardless and I wasn’t too concerned about the deficit of attention from females as a result of having long hair. But I cut it when I finished university and I only went shorter with my hair as the years went on. The shorter and tidier your hair, the better you will look. And in the workplace nobody ever thinks the guy with long hair is interesting or creative - they think he is immature and isn’t serious about his career.

And women feel the same about it. Women are driven mainly by one thing - to feel secure. The man with long hair is not of interest to women because he can’t give them security - he will not earn enough money and he is not mature enough to be relied on.

Sorry, man. You’ve got to cut it off. I know it’s disappointing.

I I used to have very long hair for many years . It was the style for many guys in the 70s and 80s . I used to look like the rock singer Meat Loaf . I cut it about 8 or 10 years ago . It is starting to thin out and grey . I keep it buzzed close to my scalp .
when I had long hair , I was working as a musician. I used to play many formal events where I was in a tux. I would have my hair in a pony taI’ll when I was play at such functions.

Attachments

• A64FF3C1-7534-42DE-A761-36C584CB0E40.jpeg
    A64FF3C1-7534-42DE-A761-36C584CB0E40.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Formal and long hair are mutually exclusive of each other.

I’ve also found that men with very short hair are extremely intolerant of men with long hair. It can even be seen in this thread.

Buns have no gender. You either have a bun or you don’t. It makes no difference what the gender of the wearer is.

Here’s what it comes down to: How does it make YOU feel?

The shorter your hair, the narrower your options. The longer your hair, the more options you have for length, style, products, etc.

When it’s all said and done, when you look in the mirror do you feel confident in your look? That’s all that matters.

I second the motion.
Mystery to me as well and I know guys that have them. Seems odd these days. I will say that one of them has done quite well in his career - it has not gotten in the way.

Like many things, I think it comes down to can you pull it off? Or does it look like you are trying too hard. Worse yet, does it look like you don't give a rip. If you don't care then you better be good at what you do so that you get hired in spite of your grooming habits or lack thereof.

These guys sure could pull it off with no effort at all. They were the real deal and long hair fit with the times and their music. It all just came together and all was right with the world.

allman-brothers.jpg

When I was in my mid 20s (early 1970s), I had it down to my shoulders. I was in the Army Reserves at the time, so that was a hassle because I had to have a barber buzz around the ears so I could tuck the rest up under a wig for drills. Most of my working life, I wore it mid ear, but that was also a hassle because my hair was naturally curly & wavy. In order for it to look good I had to have it styled, then wash and blow-dry it every morning so it wouldn't curl or frizz up. After two shoulder surgeries in the late 90s, I starting getting a #6 buzz with a fade to the ears because I couldn't hold the hair dryer. I loved the no-hassle of a buzz, and have gone shorter and shorter since then. For years my barber did a 1-1.5 depending on season. Since Covid I've been buzzing it myself. I'm now down to a .5. I love short hair. No hassles-no care needed. It's wash and forget.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Long hair and I doubt it has any style. Usually just wear a bandanna BUT...

a few years ago I was in the neighborhood Walgreen's and there was a mother and daughter in the school supplies aisle picking out the absolutely essential things for the soon to begin school year. The daughter was picking out pencils and matching notebook covers and pencil cases and folders and those big erasers that have funny animal shapes and ...

It was back and forth between the cart and the shelves and hands on hips and putting things side by side and then back on the shelves to try a different selection. She was really serious and every time she turned it was a swirl and her waist length ponytail raced to keep up with her.

I kinda chuckled a said "Boy I wish I knew how to make a pony tail like that!"

Another swirl and eyes looking up at me in astonishment and hands on hips and "Even a second grader knows how to make a ponytail!"

The mother admonished her and told her not to be rude but all mom got was "But it's the truth!"

I said all was fine and ask the young lady if she could teach me how.

So there I was, in Walgreen's, kneeling down with a very mature maybe third or fourth grader behind me, mom trying had not to laugh as the little devil grabbed my hair and pulled so hard I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to close my eyes again.

"You've got skinny hair!"

"You know you're going bald?"

"Stay still!"

Again mom started to comment but once again the response "But it's the truth!"

From somewhere unseen she pulled out something like a cloth covered rubber band and suddenly I was released.

But I had a pony tail, and then a lesson on scuncis and bows and clips and bands and wraps and ties and ...

Mom couldn't stop laughing and the young lady couldn't stop teaching and I was still learning how to blink again but I did have a pony tail.

Top Bottom