What's new

Merkur 38c vs Rockwell 6s

I bought a Rockwell 6s a couple months ago, been experimenting with the various plates and leftover blades from my sampler.

Some conclusions: blades that I didn't like in the 38C I also don't like in the Rockwell.

I think maybe the R3 plate is the best plate for me. If I skip a couple days, the R4 or R5 work better. I definitely can't use R5 2 days in a row, the 2nd day leaves me irritated. I probably shouldn't use the R4 2 days in a row either. R3 is smooth enough to use every day, but also not very efficient. R1 and R2 are very inefficient but eventually gets the job done.

Overall, I'm not 100% satisfied with the 6s. The 38c seems to me to have found the better compromise between smoothness and efficiency.

First, I’m also a big fan of the LL stories from Heinlein.

Second, I acquired both a 6s and a Rex Ambassador (to add to my small collection of vintage Gillettes). I gave away my Merkur after using the 6s the third time. It now gets the most use out of my small stable.

I bought a Rockwell 6s a couple months ago, been experimenting with the various plates and leftover blades from my sampler.

Some conclusions: blades that I didn't like in the 38C I also don't like in the Rockwell.

I think maybe the R3 plate is the best plate for me. If I skip a couple days, the R4 or R5 work better. I definitely can't use R5 2 days in a row, the 2nd day leaves me irritated. I probably shouldn't use the R4 2 days in a row either. R3 is smooth enough to use every day, but also not very efficient. R1 and R2 are very inefficient but eventually gets the job done.

Overall, I'm not 100% satisfied with the 6s. The 38c seems to me to have found the better compromise between smoothness and efficiency.

Which plate in the Rockwell would you compare the 38C head to in terms of aggressiveness?

For instance, I use the R3 plate (I have the 2C not the 6C) and it's "okay" but I think I need something SLIGHTY more aggressive for some blades. Would you compare the 38C to, say, the Rockwell R4 plate, or is it closer to the R3 or the R5?

Which plate in the Rockwell would you compare the 38C head to in terms of aggressiveness?

For instance, I use the R3 plate (I have the 2C not the 6C) and it's "okay" but I think I need something SLIGHTY more aggressive for some blades. Would you compare the 38C to, say, the Rockwell R4 plate, or is it closer to the R3 or the R5?
I've used plates 1 - 5.

Plates 1-3 are smoother but less effective. R3 is close though. R4 and R5 is more effective but also more irritating. The R4 plate too many days in a row gets me feeling a bit raw, R5 more so. I haven't tried R6.

I think one issue is it takes an extra pass with the Rockwell to get to the same point as the Merkur, which can leave me more irritated even though it is smoother pass for pass.

I can use the Merkur every day without issue, although I typically skip a day here and there.

I've used plates 1 - 5.

Plates 1-3 are smoother but less effective. R3 is close though. R4 and R5 is more effective but also more irritating. The R4 plate too many days in a row gets me feeling a bit raw, R5 more so. I haven't tried R6.

I think one issue is it takes an extra pass with the Rockwell to get to the same point as the Merkur, which can leave me more irritated even though it is smoother pass for pass.

I can use the Merkur every day without issue, although I typically skip a day here and there.

Apparently you avoid the more aggressive razors like me? The 2/4 plate is on the way and I plan to try it out with a Derby Extra in "4", since that is one of the least sharp blades and I have a lot of them. The "4" plate will represent my most aggressive razor so the Derby's may be perfect for it? (They can be TOO mild in the other razors I have)

Apparently you avoid the more aggressive razors like me? The 2/4 plate is on the way and I plan to try it out with a Derby Extra in "4", since that is one of the least sharp blades and I have a lot of them. The "4" plate will represent my most aggressive razor so the Derby's may be perfect for it? (They can be TOO mild in the other razors I have)

I shaved this morning using the R4 plate, I was surprised with the closest, most comfortable shave in a while. I think the R4 plate is the sweet spot for me. aggressive enough to get good results, but seems to be smooth enough. Not sure why today was so much better.

I put a new Treet Classic blade in it yesterday, and as I experiment I dunked the head in mineral oil afterwards to hopefully avoid rust. Maybe the mineral oil added some extra lube/protection?

My conclusion:
plates 1, 2 are very ineffective, it takes a lot of passes to get the job done.
plate 3 is getting there
plate 4 is a little more effective than the 38C. I notice the improvement at the jaw line under the chin, which is tough for me to get close without getting very irritated.
plate 5 is more aggressive than I need.
plate 6 is unused so far. Maybe I'll skip a couple days and see how it does.

I skip back and forth between the Rockwell and the 38C, both are great razors. One of the reasons I got the Rockwell was I thought I should get a "good" non-zinc razor.

I shaved this morning using the R4 plate, I was surprised with the closest, most comfortable shave in a while. I think the R4 plate is the sweet spot for me. aggressive enough to get good results, but seems to be smooth enough. Not sure why today was so much better.

I put a new Treet Classic blade in it yesterday, and as I experiment I dunked the head in mineral oil afterwards to hopefully avoid rust. Maybe the mineral oil added some extra lube/protection?

My conclusion:
plates 1, 2 are very ineffective, it takes a lot of passes to get the job done.
plate 3 is getting there
plate 4 is a little more effective than the 38C. I notice the improvement at the jaw line under the chin, which is tough for me to get close without getting very irritated.
plate 5 is more aggressive than I need.
plate 6 is unused so far. Maybe I'll skip a couple days and see how it does.

I skip back and forth between the Rockwell and the 38C, both are great razors. One of the reasons I got the Rockwell was I thought I should get a "good" non-zinc razor.

I think we may be on the same wavelength? R1 sort of worked but it felt like there was no blade in the razor. Just kind of awkward. R3 I have been using and it does the job but is too mild for the duller blades like Derby Extra. I'm waiting for the 2/4 plate to come today (?) and hopefully I can just designate that razor and plate R4 for the Derby's.

I have a 38c but it hasn't seen much use since I got my 6s dialed in. After bouncing around between plates 3 through 5 with different blades, I settled on plate 4. Plates 1 and 2 were just ridiculously mild for me, requiring too many passes and actually caused irritation. Plate 3 would probably be my go-to if I shaved every day, but as an EOD shaver, plate 4 is my happy place, using Gillette Platinum blades.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I might sound like a broken record today, but the Game Changer .84P with a safety bar does everything the Rockwell 6S or Merkur 34/38 (difference is only handle length) do, but better. With CNC machining compared to MI(M) molding or zamak. I would take the Superknurl handle.

It's still a medium aggressive razor. There are other options of course, but this one might be the most readily available for you.

Also a good option: Alpha Shaving Outlaw, but more aggressive.

Premium options: Timeless SB razors, Blackland Blackbird (SB, the OC is quite a beast), RR Wunderbar.

The more I look at them, the more I want to try a Timeless.

But, I’m still very happy with my Rex Ambassador, Rockwell 6s, and my 1964 Slim.

Ok then. I always found the 6S to be a large, clunky, and generally inelegant razor. That's just me. I have a medium beard, as far as coarseness is concerned, but have always found the Henson razors to be exceptional in daily, semi-daily shaving. Not sure if that helps but I have knocked down my collection to 5 razors, from a collection of 250+ at one point.

I guess I'm confused by the many statements that the 6S is large and clunky. It is true the head is thicker than the 38C head. but the extra thickness is beneath the blade and due to the double sided plate. There is no extra thickness to at the top, or between the blade and cap. That extra thickness is irrelevent.

I will admit that I am a bit intrigued by the GC. Since I now have 2 closed comb razors, I'm tempted by GC .68 OC (I think that is the more mild one?).

Prices on the Timeless/Rex are way up there though. Maybe someday...

But I think I may be on to something with the mineral oil. Another very comfortable shave today with plate R4. The last couple days I just dry the razor head with the blade still in it and then dunk it in a cup with just enough mineral oil to fully submerge the head, and then just leave it there until the next shave.

I guess I'm confused by the many statements that the 6S is large and clunky. It is true the head is thicker than the 38C head. but the extra thickness is beneath the blade and due to the double sided plate. There is no extra thickness to at the top, or between the blade and cap. That extra thickness is irrelevent.

I will admit that I am a bit intrigued by the GC. Since I now have 2 closed comb razors, I'm tempted by GC .68 OC (I think that is the more mild one?).

Prices on the Timeless/Rex are way up there though. Maybe someday...

But I think I may be on to something with the mineral oil. Another very comfortable shave today with plate R4. The last couple days I just dry the razor head with the blade still in it and then dunk it in a cup with just enough mineral oil to fully submerge the head, and then just leave it there until the next shave.

I find the 2C TOP heavy, but it doesn't bother me...

I guess I've found the sweet spot. Plate 4 in the Rockwell 6S with a Nacet, Perma-Sharp, Gillette 7 O'clock, or Polsilver is my sweet spot. I can shave daily and get a smooth, comfortable shave. If I have more than a three day beard growth, I bump that up to plate 5.

Top Bottom