What's new

Cartoons you watched as a kid/favorite/watch now

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Growing up we didn't even have a TV until I was in Middle or High School. That was still pretty common and the only thing to watch on TV were the two or three local stations. There were a few Syndicated shows, Captain Kangaroo, Kukla, Fran and Ollie and once I was in High School there was the absolutely MUST see 'Mickey Mouse Club' but pre-1960 TV was far different than today.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Does anyone else remember the really educational/entertaining cartoons that were shown on Thanksgiving day back in the 70's?
Usually with an historical bent?
I really enjoyed those.

Some of my favourites when I was a kid:
  • Bugs Bunny
  • Spiderman
  • Rocket Robin Hood
  • Huckleberry Hound
  • Touche Turtle
  • The Flintstones
  • The Jetsons
As an adult, I've watched The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad. These are ones that I don't watch any more.

But I do watch F is for Family and Archer now.

I forgot about Justice League. And as an adult I watched Beavis and Butthead, The Simpsons, King of the Hill, and Futurama.
If you liked Justice League, try Justice League Unlimited and Young Justice. They're both also really good.

Oh! I forgot I've also watched (and really enjoy) the new-ish HBO series Harley Quinn.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As an adult, I've watched The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad. These are ones that I don't watch any more.

And as an adult I watched Beavis and Butthead, The Simpsons, King of the Hill, and Futurama.
As an adult, I used to watch Family Guy but don't much care for it anymore.
I was never too much into American Dad or Bobs Burgers and I could watch Beavis and Butthead for about 10 minutes or so at a time.
King of the Hill and Simpsons were good but I would never stop what I was doing to watch it.
Futurama was a real favorite and still is.

My earliest cartoon favorites on TV were:

Winky Dink and You. Very early 50's interactive TV. My mom ordered the plastic film that stuck to our 12" b&w tv. It came with 4 crayons, as I remember. Winky would have you draw directly on the tv. Something like: " Ok kids, take the yellow crayon and draw a line to make a bridge so Winky can get across". I think the show got cancelled because parents didn't order the plastic film and kids were drawing directly on the tv screen.

My other favorite from the early 50s was Crusader Rabbit, the more crudely drawn forerunner of Rocky and Bullwinkle. I actually found a dvd collection of old Crusader Rabbit episodes and watch them occasionally.

Betty Boop was also another cartoon I liked back then, as well as Looney Tunes and Popeye.

I can't think of any modern cartoons (post 50s/early 60s) that I watch.

FarmerTan

My earliest cartoon favorites on TV were:

Winky Dink and You. Very early 50's interactive TV. My mom ordered the plastic film that stuck to our 12" b&w tv. It came with 4 crayons, as I remember. Winky would have you draw directly on the tv. " Ok kids, take the yellow crayon and draw a line to make a bridge so Winky can get across". I think the show got cancelled because parents didn't order the plastic film and kids were drawing directly on the tv screen.

My other favorite from the early 50s was Crusader Rabbit, the more crudely drawn forerunner of Rocky and Bullwinkle. I actually found a dvd collection of old Crusader Rabbit episodes and watch them occasionally.

Betty Boop was also another cartoon I liked back then, as well as Looney Tunes and Popeye.

I can't think of any cartoons I watch now.
I always loved Popeye.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
+1!!!

Johnny Quest
Speed Racer
Loony Tunes (Mel Blanc era)
Flintstones
Jetsons
The Pink Panther
Veggie Tales
The Simpsons
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Thought of another: Schoolhouse Rock. Among favorite episodes: “Conjunction Junction,” “I’m Just a Bill on Capitol Hill,” and “Zero the Hero.”

59745072-C080-425E-B4FA-5AE43250F1A0.jpeg

FarmerTan

I haven't been able to watch a Popeye cartoon, or a Robin Williams/Shelley Duvall movie, since that awful 1980 Popeye film.
Live-action cartoons ruin the experience and need to be banned.
Exactly what I was thinking as I posted! He also did a movie where he played Captain Hook that ruined me for ANY Peter Pan thing, LOL!

FarmerTan

Warner Brothers - Bugs Bunny etc and some 1930’s and 1940’s stuff was still shown - no longer PC enough to be shown but find on YouTube occasionally.
Foghorn Leghorn and that frog that sang ONLY when his "owner" was alone with him were and STILL are able to stop me in my tracks and waste HOURS of my time.

Those characters and Yosemite Sam probably say A LOT about my mental health....

Top Bottom