What's new

Vise / Anvil

I grew up with a vise bolted to the workbench in our basement - used the thing all the time. I would now like to buy a simple bench vise with an anvil for general use and for pinning straights.

Anyone have any experience with the 3 and 4 inch swivel vises with anvils from Harbor Freight?

The 3 inch weighs over 12 pounds and the anvil section seems quite spacious - see 3 in. Swivel Vise with Anvil - https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-swivel-vise-with-anvil-61329.html - and you can't beat the price.

1633798783821.png

I grew up with a vise bolted to the workbench in our basement - used the thing all the time. I would now like to buy a simple bench vise with an anvil for general use and for pinning straights.

Anyone have any experience with the 3 and 4 inch swivel vises with anvils from Harbor Freight?

The 3 inch weighs over 12 pounds and the anvil section seems quite spacious - see 3 in. Swivel Vise with Anvil - https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-swivel-vise-with-anvil-61329.html - and you can't beat the price.

View attachment 1342667
That looks pretty decent. I have a smaller one that clamps on a table lip. The only good thing about it is it's portable. I had to spend some time sanding down the anvil because it was rough enough that it would scratch the scales. If I had a dedicated workbench (currently in an apartment) I would have gotten the HF version like that.
20210811_185717.jpg

I was also thinking about trying to find a piece of railroad track, but I haven't had time to complete the research. I do see people selling railroad track anvils on eBay and Etsy.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Mine is exactly the same as @Darth Scandalous' vice. I still need to smooth the anvil section. I got mine with plastic jaw covers to protect while clamping.

IMG20210921123606.jpg
I find its size ideal for SR work. From memory, it was about USD 14 including shipping. It is small enough that I can take it with me when I move from country to country.

Mine is exactly the same as @Darth Scandalous' vice. I still need to smooth the anvil section. I got mine with plastic jaw covers to protect while clamping.

I find its size ideal for SR work. From memory, it was about USD 14 including shipping.
I have those jaw covers somewhere. They're cheap and don't stay on well but they're good enough. The anvil is soft enough that it was easy to drill a couple different sized dimples for peening.

Yes. It holds the pin so you can get a good start on a peen. This way when you put it in the scale hole with collars you only need to trim and peen one side. Makes the job much easier IMO.

There are also so tuny diviots and holes drilled in the RR track to help with pinning snd such.

I use a 5lb weight from an old balance scale, flat top, sort of a cylinder shape. I also have a small hobby vice that clamps onto my bench. I use that to hold the pin when I mushroom one side to start the process. But the pinning gets done on the weight.

View attachment 1343438View attachment 1343439
Spend a few hours polishing and they look nice.
Sorry it took so long to post a pic.

Now not saying this is your fault but I awoke this morning with a need for a piece of railway track for an anvil:)
A quick search found one in a town close by this morning so off I went.
Spent about 1.5 hours making it nice. I always wanted a nice anvil but can't justify it in a woodworking shop.
Track is the way to go. Carbon steel - not cast like a cheapie.
Close to 30lbs, I think it scratched the itch, thank you.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom