What's new

Are long handles worth it?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I studied this closely this morning. Because of the tilting of your head to look in the mirror at either side of the mirror, I believe that the gravitational benefit of weight as a way to apply pressure works across and against as well as with the grain and is enhanced by moving out on the handle. So much of what we do is unconscious and the product of muscle memory.

The long handle makes sense for a razor with a pivoting head,
otherwise, not so much.
I dont know about that. I think that hand size plays a role. If you have bigger hands, a long handled may allow you to rest your pinkie under the handle while a short handle may not.
I personally prefer a short handle but long handles have a place.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I dont know about that. I think that hand size plays a role. If you have bigger hands, a long handled may allow you to rest your pinkie under the handle while a short handle may not.
I personally prefer a short handle but long handles have a place.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This is 100% true. I have long, skinny fingers combined with some mobility issues which make using a short handle fairly difficult for me. It’s not impossible but longer handles make it much easier.

I studied this closely this morning. Because of the tilting of your head to look in the mirror at either side of the mirror, I believe that the gravitational benefit of weight as a way to apply pressure works across and against as well as with the grain and is enhanced by moving out on the handle. So much of what we do is unconscious and the product of muscle memory.
+1
Agreed. But to each their own. Use what works best for you. Today I put my West Coast Shaving 79S handle ($15) on my Winning razor and the razor performed much better for me. The 79S is a bit longer at nearly 4" and provides better grip than the stock handle on the Winning razor.

Winning Wiz Heather.jpg

+1
Agreed. But to each their own. Use what works best for you. Today I put my West Coast Shaving 79S handle ($15) on my Winning razor and the razor performed much better for me. The 79S is a bit longer at nearly 4" and provides better grip than the stock handle on the Winning razor.

View attachment 1342741
I have a WCS 79BR that took over handle position for me with most razors. Prior to that, my favorite handle (in my very limited collection) had been the WCS 88S. 🙂

I like short handles :) 5’11” 175lbs but large strong hands to me its like anything so personal
I prefer to choke up on the handles though
my yates has that stock skinny long handle I hate it :) I think I hate skinny more than long and I have seen some of those super thick chunky handles I want to try
Rex Ambassador has the best handle ever but cant use it on anything else :)

My first DE was a Merkur 23C with the longish handle. It worked fine for me as I learned. When I bought my Slim I gave the 23C to my lady friend. Recently she brought it over to ask how to clean it; she'd let it get a little scummed up, and I polished it up neatly. It occurred to me just how oddly long that handle is, now that I've been using vintage Gillettes, my Merkur Progress with the shorter handle, and my Fatip Open Comb Slant.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My father gave me a merkur 34c ten years ago. Since then I've used derby, persona, and feather. Derby and persona don't cut as well for me, but feather was my favorite until I tried the astra blades. Cheaper, yet cut great. Lately I've wanted to try a longer handle, but not sure what to try, as both I am interested in are, for me, at the top of my budget. One's the merkur 38c and the other is the merkur 39c with the angle. I'm not sure how the angle would benefit or detract from my shave.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

- Twitchy
38c is my daily driver . . . same one I bought in 2008. I have no hate for shorter handles but I do feel more comfort from the longer handle.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
IMO, long handles are good for someone who is just starting out and is used to the longer handle of a cartidge razor. Beyond that, I dont think it really matters much one way or another.
That’s what I was thinking when I purchased my first DE, a 38C with a slightly longer handle that I’m familiar with. It’s a nicely balanced razor, not overly long, with a solid feel to it. A smart looking, functional razor. As with many things I was curious about shorter lighter handles and settled on the Super Speed as favourite. Try a few to find that sweet spot.

Totally personal preference IMO. I have a Weber SS long handle and the Bulldog. I switch them out with the head, or another head from a three piece razor and see myself trending more towards the longer handle.

I just received a Muhle R41 head and am anxiously awaiting how it will pair with a short or long handle.

Uu
ou also could go with the handle only route, purchasing a long stainless handle from any number of retailers. That would also likely be the most economic option.
Does anyone know where I can purchase a long handle for my vintage Gillette 3 piece razors? I thought I liked shorter handles, but I recently tried a Schick TTO I had laying around and discovered that I had improved control/stability over the chin. The thin head is the other positive factor. I have done internet searches, and so far I can’t locate someone selling long handles for older Gillettes.

Top Bottom