What's new

New, non-tallow Tabac reviews go in here

I'm having a difficult time finding the new vegan version. I was just sent the old tallow version after I told the merchant I want vegan only. Any stateside vendors with the new Tabac with bowl?
No guarantees, but Amazon might be your ticket.

The new Tabac? So far, I'd describe it as "Underwhelming". I find the lather to be thin and bubbly regardless of brush selection or how much is loaded on the brush. Slickness is just meh.

I have soft water.

The scent is reminiscent of the old formula and lingers for a couple of hours.

I'm not giving up on it yet, it doesn't seem to have the performance of the old stuff.

I posted the above in another thread. I'm not having a very good time with the new stuff. The scent is just fine, but I'm struggling with everything else.

First off just want to say that I was dissapointed that at this point, <320 posts in, roughly 5% of this thread has relavent info on the OP's title. I debated as to write this or not but decided to go for it. What's one more post not really adding to the conversation.

I'm one that loved the old Tabac.

It's scent reminds me of great reliable shaves, the post shave may have been the best amongst non artisan brands and the way it grew in it's bowl through regular use was more fun than sea monkeys. (I was sure I had a pet soap that was considering escape)

I'm sure the new Tabac is here to stay and I, like most of you, found this thread to see if Tabac still retains it's unique charm. From the few posts that gave us some insight I don't hold a lot of hope... but you never know and YMMV.

Btw of my last 4 soaps 2 tallow & 2 veggie the veggie soaps kicked the snot out of the Tallow.

You left out the only relevant information you could have included in your post. What are the two Vegan soaps that "kicked the snot out of the Tallow"?
:biggrin1:

Oh yeah!

Caties bubbles & Haslinger-v beat (for me) Mystic Water and Turtlship Grooming.

Haslinger-v is case and point. I'm sure plenty of people will say with tallow was soooo much better but the veggie one is always a contender.

Luckily I never tried the tallow so I can remain happily oblivious.

Ignorance is bliss after all. It applies to me, when it comes to shaving, as there are so many products I, sometimes on purpose, try to avoid.

As to what Haslinger truly is, in my opinion, is nothing more than an exception.
But I agree, the new Haslinger soaps are great.

Since on Jan 1, 2022, I will be stepping out of the sabbatical cage, I will put one "Caties and Bubbles" on my "try next" list. Promise.

Please. New stuff reviews only, not a million posts about how great the old stuff was. The "Where's the Tallow" thread has gone to 26 pages, so nobody will cruise through that looking for reviews. The one I did spot was not complimentary, but hey, it could be wonderful stuff.

So-- If you have the New Formula Tabac, write it up here, please. If you don't know what I mean, please see this thread.

Thank you!
17 pages and only a few reviews. After the OP repeatedly pleaded to keep the conversation on track. I miss high literacy rates

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Tabac is non-tallow now? :shocked: Wow, I must be living under a rock. Can't say the reviews for the new stuff look promising, though I don't mourn the loss of the old lady's handbag smell. Still, no thanks. Hate to lose another classic, but there's too many good fatted soaps to lose any sleep over it.

Ok. I may need to recant my previous review. Initially, I was having a very hard time with the new formula. I tried a number of different brushes with no success.

Earlier this week, I was digging deep into the recesses of my forgotten shave den items and found a brush I made a long time ago. It was an old brush with a brass handle. I purchased a very expensive badger knot from The Golden Nib and replaced the knot. I liked the knot, but never cared for the handle and tossed it aside never to see the light of day again.

Or so I thought.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to try this very expensive knot with the new Tabac formulation as nothing else is working. After soaking the brush and the soap, I loaded with a decent amount of soap. The resulting lather was explosive, full-bodied and fluffy. The shave was smooth and irritation free. Superb performance.

So Tabac was a bust with my synthetics, boars and cheaper badgers, but a home run with the High Mountain White badger knot. Hoping I get similar results when I shave with it tomorrow.

Ok. I may need to recant my previous review. Initially, I was having a very hard time with the new formula. I tried a number of different brushes with no success.

Earlier this week, I was digging deep into the recesses of my forgotten shave den items and found a brush I made a long time ago. It was an old brush with a brass handle. I purchased a very expensive badger knot from The Golden Nib and replaced the knot. I liked the knot, but never cared for the handle and tossed it aside never to see the light of day again.

Or so I thought.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to try this very expensive knot with the new Tabac formulation as nothing else is working. After soaking the brush and the soap, I loaded with a decent amount of soap. The resulting lather was explosive, full-bodied and fluffy. The shave was smooth and irritation free. Superb performance.

So Tabac was a bust with my synthetics, boars and cheaper badgers, but a home run with the High Mountain White badger knot. Hoping I get similar results when I shave with it tomorrow.
Odd that it's been so brush specific, but glad to hear you're finally getting better results. I wonder if maybe the issue came down to loading enough soap (??, just a thought).

I've used the new formula quite a bit over the past couple of months, mostly with great success. Based on my own fairly positive experiences, it's been surprising to hear that some folks are having such difficulty with it.

Or so I thought.

I wonder if the new non-tallow version requires blooming. I know the tallow version doesn't require much (if any) blooming. Maybe the non-tallow version is thirstier and needs the additional water to help load a brush? I know some of my triple milled soaps (e.g., TOBS) need to be bloomed before loading.

Last edited:
Odd that it's been so brush specific, but glad to hear you're finally getting better results. I wonder if maybe the issue came down to loading enough soap (??, just a thought).

I've used the new formula quite a bit over the past couple of months, mostly with great success. Based on my own fairly positive experiences, it's been surprising to hear that some folks are having such difficulty with it.

I wonder if the new non-tallow version requires blooming. I know the tallow version doesn't require much (if any) blooming. Maybe the non-tallow version is thirstier and needs the additional water to help load a brush? I know some of my triple milled soaps (e.g., TOBS) need to be bloomed before loading.
Great questions.

No other variable changed other than the brush.

I added plenty of water to the puck and allowed it to bloom for several minutes in previous attempts. Likewise, the brushes were well saturated and loaded with plenty of soap.

Great questions.

No other variable changed other than the brush.

I added plenty of water to the puck and allowed it to bloom for several minutes in previous attempts. Likewise, the brushes were well saturated and loaded with plenty of soap.
How long do you bloom your soaps? Or rather, I guess the pertinent question isn't a matter of time as much as the appearance of the bloom water. I've found that my triple milled soaps are ready to be loaded when the bloom water turns filmy and more opaque than not.

I also bloom my thirstier soaps differently than most people (I imagine). I pour just enough water to cover the tops of the ridges at the bottom of my Captain's Choice bowl, then I place the puck face down in the bowl. This wets the face of the puck and lets me see how far along the blooming process has come. I do this right before I step into the shower; usually, by the time I'm done showering, the soap is ready to be used to make lather. 🙂

I'm lazy. I just pour hot water on top and let it sit for several minutes. The top of the puck is typically creamy before I dump the excess water.
I do that with my tallow Tabac. I've noticed the amount of water left on the puck after soaking is less than what I initially poured on the puck. If I didn't know better, I'd say my puck of tallow Tabac drank the water! 😁

Top Bottom