What's new

Are long handles worth it?

My father gave me a merkur 34c ten years ago. Since then I've used derby, persona, and feather. Derby and persona don't cut as well for me, but feather was my favorite until I tried the astra blades. Cheaper, yet cut great. Lately I've wanted to try a longer handle, but not sure what to try, as both I am interested in are, for me, at the top of my budget. One's the merkur 38c and the other is the merkur 39c with the angle. I'm not sure how the angle would benefit or detract from my shave.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

- Twitchy

I have large, skinny hands so I find a longer handle much easier to use than a short one. I can use short handles but some angles are much more difficult to reach. It's all about the position of the handle in your hand and the angle of the razor head. I'd say see if you can maybe borrow a razor or get something that isn't expensive to try. It's likely that because you are so used to shaving with a short handle that a longer one won't suit you.

I have a four piece Merkur 933CL travel razor which has a two piece screw together handle. I obtained an additional short solid section of the handle to convert it to a longer handled razor when at home and not conserving weight whilst travelling light. I slightly prefer the balance and performance with the longer handle.

You also could go with the handle only route, purchasing a long stainless handle from any number of retailers. That would also likely be the most economic option.

I have large thick hands, I usually prefer shorter handles for whatever reason. Most everyone differs opinions on such a matter though.

Lately I've wanted to try a longer handle, but not sure what to try, as both I am interested in are, for me, at the top of my budget. One's the merkur 38c and the other is the merkur 39c with the angle. I'm not sure how the angle would benefit or detract from my shave.
Th slant razor is used the same as the 34/38 so will not detract from your shave. I don't think a long handle is beneficial and find the balance of the 34C just fine so the 38C will change that with the longer and therefore heavier handle. People with very large hands prefer the longer handles.
You also could go with the handle only route, purchasing a long stainless handle from any number of retailers. That would also likely be the most economic option.
The Merkur 34C, 38C, 37C and 39C are two piece razors so there is no handle only change option with them.

Th slant razor is used the same as the 34/38 so will not detract from your shave. I don't think a long handle is beneficial and find the balance of the 34C just fine so the 38C will change that with the longer and therefore heavier handle. People with very large hands prefer the longer handles.

The Merkur 34C, 38C, 37C and 39C are two piece razors so there is no handle only change option with them.
I've been on this forum for a number of years now and I did not know that, wow. I guess you can tell I've never owned a merkur.

There's no harm in trying something different. I can understand getting bored and wanting to try another DE. I've tried many in the past 12+ years. I like my pinky resting under the handle, so the shorter handle DE's like SuperSpeed, adjustables, Merker 34G, and Gillette Heritage were always the most comfortable for me to hold. I once bought a longer EJ Chatsworth Barley. It was a beautiful DE, but being old, and a creature of habit, I could not adjust to the length and sold it. I even used a slightly-longer GameChanger .68 for over a year before switching back to a shorter Heritage.

There's no harm in trying something different. I can understand getting bored and wanting to try another DE. I've tried many in the past 12+ years. I like my pinky resting under the handle, so the shorter handle DE's like SuperSpeed, adjustables, Merker 34G, and Gillette Heritage were always the most comfortable for me to hold. I once bought a longer EJ Chatsworth Barley. It was a beautiful DE, but being old, and a creature of habit, I could not adjust to the length and sold it. I even used a slightly-longer GameChanger .68 for over a year before switching back to a shorter Heritage.
I also rest my pinky under the base of the handle. The longer 100mm handles fit just right in my hand. Horses for courses.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I shifted from 76.2 to 88.9. I hold both the same way, near the head, but extra stainless steel means extra weight. I am big on using a heavy setup and letting the weight of it provide the pressure. For buffing and getting under the jawline I hold farther out on the handle to make it easier to get the desired angle.

I use the same grip. I prefer longer handled razors.
I discovered how much I enjoyed longer handles when I purchased the Timeless SS .68 SB razor that you recommended. @Hannah's Dad sold me a nice 100mm Wolfman handle to go with the Wolfman razor head that I purchased from him. That handle is the best I own. Like @Tirvine, I also like heavy handles as well. Having a nice heavy razor applying the only pressure gets me a close and comfortable shave. I do feel that I am in the minority here when it comes to razor heft and length though. To the OP, you can buy inexpensive long handles to try at many sites like WCS.

I believe he meant you could buy a third-party handle, not necessarily a Merkur one. For instance, I have three West Coast Shaving handles I really like, a 88S, 84BL, and a 79BR. The lengths of those handles vary from about 3.25" to 4".

Keep in mind, changing the handle length (and weight) can affect the balance on a razor. Some times, that works out and makes for a better shave, other times, it makes for a worse shave. Also, because shaving is so subjective, a well-balanced razor for one person may not be so for another.

In any case, good luck and I hope you find something that provides you excellent shaves!

My father gave me a merkur 34c ten years ago. Since then I've used derby, persona, and feather. Derby and persona don't cut as well for me, but feather was my favorite until I tried the astra blades. Cheaper, yet cut great. Lately I've wanted to try a longer handle, but not sure what to try, as both I am interested in are, for me, at the top of my budget. One's the merkur 38c and the other is the merkur 39c with the angle. I'm not sure how the angle would benefit or detract from my shave.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

- Twitchy
IMO, long handles are good for someone who is just starting out and is used to the longer handle of a cartidge razor. Beyond that, I dont think it really matters much one way or another.

I hold the SuperSpeed with the end of the handle hitting the center of my palm.

There is a constriction at the neck of the handle
which is where I pinch it between my thumb and index fingers.

I'm pretty sure that's the way that the SuperSpeed handle was intended to be held.

I had to shop around, to find my idea of perfect handles.

Heavy handles are great for N - S, but a dead weight for S - N, which is where I need precise control.

84mm (~ 3¼") is long enough to give a secure grip and short enough to be agile. I got an 84mm x 13mm aluminium one, 23g, and the maker's same model in titanium, 39g.

The Ti one gives my Rockwell 6S a welcome 25% weight reduction.

Your choices will be different, but getting the right handle makes a great difference to razor usability, so don't settle for a default, unless you're 100% happy with it.

Left: Rockwell 6S + Windrose RA3 Ti, 88g , was 118g with stock handle.
Right: Game Changer + RA3 in Al, 52g, was 103g with stock RR Bulldog handle.

DSCN4818_shrunk.JPG

Last edited:
I prefer to use short handled razors but don’t really mind using a long handled one. It’s the razor head itself that is important to me. I’m planning on getting an Edwin Jagger DE86 with a long handle, it’s meant for ladies I suppose but the handle is a heather color. I will be purchasing it in the near future. It’s the color that really intrigues me.

I prefer to use short handled razors but don’t really mind using a long handled one. It’s the razor head itself that is important to me. I’m planning on getting an Edwin Jagger DE86 with a long handle, it’s meant for ladies I suppose but the handle is a heather color. I will be purchasing it in the near future. It’s the color that really intrigues me.
What color is heather? The only thing I know about heathers is it was an 80s movie. 😁

Top Bottom