What's new

Is it just me, or...

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
is the Nib running kind of sluggish this week? Not much action. Hope that means you guys are all busily writing in your journals and letters and birthday cards and Great American Novels and whatnot.

I haven't posted much either because, as it turns out, there's like shaving stuff on this website too and wouldn't you know it, I'm getting pretty wrapped up in OCtober. In other shaving news I missed hiding out in the Nib, did you guys know that Tabac reformulated to veggie soap?! :eek: First the 3Ts, then Haslinger, now this. Dang! Pretty sure that's one of the Signs of the Apocalypse in Revelations. When MWF goes veg, we're done for. I think I'll write that in my journal.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm just rounding off a bout of nib related exploration. A few new pens which I'm happily settling in with, and numerous inks that I haven't got around to trying yet. Currently thinking of starting a few ink comparison sheets, so I can keep track of how different inks look in different pens.

I hope this forum hasn't gone quiet out of disgust for my wayward perspectives, and the cheap pens that I've been enjoying :lol1:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
is the Nib running kind of sluggish this week? Not much action. Hope that means you guys are all busily writing in your journals and letters and birthday cards and Great American Novels and whatnot.

I haven't posted much either because, as it turns out, there's like shaving stuff on this website too and wouldn't you know it, I'm getting pretty wrapped up in OCtober. In other shaving news I missed hiding out in the Nib, did you guys know that Tabac reformulated to veggie soap?! :eek: First the 3Ts, then Haslinger, now this. Dang! Pretty sure that's one of the Signs of the Apocalypse in Revelations. When MWF goes veg, we're done for. I think I'll write that in my journal.
I am not happy about the Tabac reformulation.
So I'll talk about what made me very happy the other day. I wanted a permanent ink, and have been researching different inks for a couple of weeks. I wanted to find a nice permanent darker shade of blue ink, but I went with Noodler's Heart of Darkness black. I absolutely love this ink!
This ink is very black and very waterproof (I tested it). I also like that it doesn't seem to fade into some dull gray/teal color like some other darker inks (Parker blue black). The Heart of Darkness flows wonderfully in my pens, and works great on cheap paper, Rhodia, and my Black n' Red journals.

The free Charlie pen that's included with this ink was a nice gesture by Noodler ink, and I liked it at first, but to make a long story short, the pen should have arrived at the landfill by now. 😉

No need for concern. My Lamy 2000 is running hot as I try to perfect my Palmer Business Writting technique.

In other news, I have my first Nakaya on order. A 40th birthday present from my other half. A Portable Writer in Midori-tamenuri with a medium gold nib. This will be my third and likely last fountain pen. It might be a while until I see it but it’s something to look forward to.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The Nib forum has always run hot and cold, John. I've seen weeks where it seemed like over half of the "what's in your pocket today" posts were mine.

:001_unsur It'll pick up again (hopefully).

There is a new Pelikan M200 special edition scheduled to be released next month.
Not a fan of sparkly finishes or transparent bodies so it's a pass here.

@tankerjohn the Golden Beryl

proxy.php

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Yeah, I’m not into the current clear pen trend. I like an ink window, but clear pens just don’t do it for me.

This pen makes me look like a hypocrite.

20211008_014938.jpg

I'm not really a fan of demonstrators... but I like this one.

Neither am I a fan of pens with threaded sections ... and yet I like this one.

I really don't like the look of Lamy style nibs, but ... you can probably see the pattern emerging by now.

I don't like plastic fountain pens, and guess what...

I always go for a medium nib, yet this is a fine nibbled pen, and it sees a lot of use.

Despite all the above, I liked them enough to buy another three of them, and then stuck a stub nib on one... but I never use that one. Only this one with the fine nib. :letterk1:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
This pen makes me look like a hypocrite.

View attachment 1341743

I'm not really a fan of demonstrators... but I like this one.

Neither am I a fan of pens with threaded sections ... and yet I like this one.

I really don't like the look of Lamy style nibs, but ... you can probably see the pattern emerging by now.

I don't like plastic fountain pens, and guess what...

I always go for a medium nib, yet this is a fine nibbled pen, and it sees a lot of use.

Despite all the above, I liked them enough to buy another three of them, and then stuck a stub nib on one... but I never use that one. Only this one with the fine nib. :letterk1:
I'm curious, what is that pen?

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Nothing wrong with demonstrators, or cheap pens either, IMHO. 😁

20211007_214454_kindlephoto-103901615.jpg

I misspelled Noodler's, it was a quick note LOL.

Last edited:

tankerjohn

Hmmm, yeah, not diggin' that Pelikan Special Edition. Definitely not my style.

I am also not a fan of demonstrator pens, which I believe I have chronicled in these digital spaces before. I could, perhaps, be converted with the right pen like I was with the Lamy 2000. Sometimes pens exceed expectations or you find a use for a pen with a finer or broader nib than you would ordinarily prefer. All part of the fun of this hobby.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Hmmm, yeah, not diggin' that Pelikan Special Edition. Definitely not my style.

I am also not a fan of demonstrator pens, which I believe I have chronicled in these digital spaces before. I could, perhaps, be converted with the right pen like I was with the Lamy 2000. Sometimes pens exceed expectations or you find a use for a pen with a finer or broader nib than you would ordinarily prefer. All part of the fun of this hobby.
I was giving the Lamy 2000 some serious consideration after I purchased my Pilot Custom 912, but the Pilot 912 with a Waverly nib is just so perfect for me that I decided to hold off on getting another higher end pen. The Pilot 912 is so comfortable to hold and write with. I also find the weight of the pen is also perfect to me, and adds to the comfort of writing.
The grip section of the Lamy 2000 looks like it may be more narrow than the Pilot, so I probably wouldn't like it as much. I think my next pen some time in the future will probably be the Pilot 823, but for now I'm pretty much set for pens.

By the way, it was your review of the Pilot 912 that led me to research and buy this pen, so a big thank you to you! 😁

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Sometimes pens exceed expectations or you find a use for a pen with a finer or broader nib than you would ordinarily prefer. All part of the fun of this hobby.

One thing I have learned recently, is where my nib preferences lie. A fine nib might not feel smooth enough for me to enjoy it, and also might not show enough ink to yield the benefit of my ink colour choice. The fine nib on my demonstrator is "just enough" in both regards. Possibly because of refinements I did when I got it.

Conversely, by the time I've refined a medium nib to my liking, it may be starting to approach bold territory, and make my writing look a little... clumsier than normal. Not quite to the point where a lower case "e" looks like a large reversed comma, but enough to lead me to write slightly larger than my standard hand for clarity and proportion.

Over the last couple of days, I've been tempted to have a go at thinning one of the nibs I currently have in use. Not by much, just enough to get it back in that sweet spot of having colour impact and personality, but still leave enough "air" in my lettering.

Bold nibs and stubs, simply aren't useful to me as day to day writing tools, and not worth inking up for the sake of the occasional greetings card. Also, if I need to write smaller for any reason, I'd rather reach for a ballpoint instead.

I seem to have a distinct zone that I want my fountain pens to fall into.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
One thing I have learned recently, is where my nib preferences lie. A fine nib might not feel smooth enough for me to enjoy it, and also might not show enough ink to yield the benefit of my ink colour choice. The fine nib on my demonstrator is "just enough" in both regards. Possibly because of refinements I did when I got it.

Conversely, by the time I've refined a medium nib to my liking, it may be starting to approach bold territory, and make my writing look a little... clumsier than normal. Not quite to the point where a lower case "e" looks like a large reversed comma, but enough to lead me to write slightly larger than my standard hand for clarity and proportion.

Over the last couple of days, I've been tempted to have a go at thinning one of the nibs I currently have in use. Not by much, just enough to get it back in that sweet spot of having colour impact and personality, but still leave enough "air" in my lettering.

Bold nibs and stubs, simply aren't useful to me as day to day writing tools, and not worth inking up for the sake of the occasional greetings card. Also, if I need to write smaller for any reason, I'd rather reach for a ballpoint instead.

I seem to have a distinct zone that I want my fountain pens to fall into.
I just got a LAMY 1.1 stub and am loving it. I swapped out a 1.5 which was just too broad for my tastes. I wish LAMY would offer a good flex nib. In my other LAMY I have a left hand medium which works well but I prefer the stub effect.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I just got a LAMY 1.1 stub and am loving it. I swapped out a 1.5 which was just too broad for my tastes. I wish LAMY would offer a good flex nib. In my other LAMY I have a left hand medium which works well but I prefer the stub effect.

I'm not sure what size the Lamy nib is on the modified demonstrator. Large enough to not be tipped. 1.8mm maybe? Definitely a "novelty" pen now.

I don't feel confident enough in my grinding to try and chisel tip the nibs I want to narrow. I'll just stone the sides down a bit. I don't think they're standard fittings, so buying a cheap pre-ground stub probably isn't a viable option either. Besides, I'd rather have the satisfaction of tweaking it myself. :biggrin1:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I bought two pens not long after joining B&B and thought I might be destined to end up with more but since then I have had no further signs of pen acquisition disorder. I have a Cross Apogee medium with a converter, and a Pelikan Souverain M600 fine, and both are currently inked with Cross Blue/Black ink although I am considering blue for one of them. I use both pens every day although I prefer the Pelikan for the fine nib and the lighter weight. To ensure I persevere with my penmanship with both pens I use the Cross in the morning and the Pelikan in the afternoon.

pens.jpg

Last edited:

tankerjohn

I was giving the Lamy 2000 some serious consideration after I purchased my Pilot Custom 912, but the Pilot 912 with a Waverly nib is just so perfect for me that I decided to hold off on getting another higher end pen. The Pilot 912 is so comfortable to hold and write with. I also find the weight of the pen is also perfect to me, and adds to the comfort of writing.
The grip section of the Lamy 2000 looks like it may be more narrow than the Pilot, so I probably wouldn't like it as much. I think my next pen some time in the future will probably be the Pilot 823, but for now I'm pretty much set for pens.

By the way, it was your review of the Pilot 912 that led me to research and buy this pen, so a big thank you to you! 😁
You’re very welcome. That’s kind of you to say. I agree that the 912 is a wonderfully comfortable pen to hold. The thing about the Lamy 2000 is that because of the hooded nib, you actually grip it further back than it looks. Also, since it doesn’t have threads, the section is effectively the entire front half of the pen and you can grip it wherever the width is most comfortable. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the Pilot Custom 823. That’s a great choice too.

...did you guys know that Tabac reformulated to veggie soap?! :eek: First the 3Ts, then Haslinger, now this. Dang! Pretty sure that's one of the Signs of the Apocalypse in Revelations. When MWF goes veg, we're done for. I think I'll write that in my journal.
Speick has also gone vegan. There's still time to get some of the classic soap if you want it.

Top Bottom