What's new

Thinking of buying a new shaving soap on Saturday.

Good evening.

I am thinking of visiting the shaving shop on Saturday to buy an extra shaving soap to compliment the one I already have. I keep hearing of Wool Fat soaps I would like to try that. What is the lather/shave quality like with them? And I’m assuming they are suitable for sensitive skin as well?

Jason.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'll see if they have it in the shaving shop tomorrow. I'll be strictly there for shaving soap, nothing else (except maybe a cologne).

Jason.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Well if you're going back to Trumper's again I'd be sure to stay away from their own brand, the soaps have been sub-par since the latest reformulation. Get the Mitchell's.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'll see if they have it in the shaving shop tomorrow. I'll be strictly there for shaving soap, nothing else (except maybe a cologne).

Jason.

Great choice: MWF is a favorite around here, a true classic IMO!! :a29:

(I predict you may come back with a few more items.)

I must be very fortunate indeed. The shaving shop I am referring to is the Geo F Trumper in Jermyn Street which is off Lower Regent Street, Piccadilly Circus, Central London. I live near the Piccadilly Line so all I need is one train journey to get there. Takes me about 45 minutes to get there from my home.

The shaving bowl I have which the soap resides in is a stainless steel one, not ceramic. I am very happy with it so no need to change it. I think I'll hold off buying a soap for now until my existing soap runs out. I don't want to get too carried away if you see what I mean.

Soaps aside, I really haven't talked about the shaving brush I have so I'll do it now. I think its a basic synthetic hair brush; certainly not a luxury badger hair brush but it does the job well enough. As long as it applies my soap to my face in a nice even layer then I am happy with that.

Jason.

You are a much stronger man than I if you can walk into a brick and mortar shave store, and walk out with only one soap!
Dear tyoung.

I really respect you for that comment. Consider this when I was shopping for a razor last month.

As most of you would know, I have looked at several DE razors before deciding on the Sledgehammer or Progress. I compared the said razors side by side in front of my wife (she looked at them as well). We both much preferred the Sledgehammer over the Progress. My wife doesn't like the idea of several razors filling up the bathroom.

When it comes to soaps, my wife insisted that I only choose ONE soap that I really like. I somewhat agree with that; there is no point me owing several soaps if a particular one is going to get a lot more use than the others.

Right now my main focus is to find a blade that suits my skin perfectly. Once that mission is accomplished then I will turn my attention to a soap that will perfectly compliment it.

Jason.

Don't forget to buy your wife her own razor or gift her you sledgehammer and pickup that one up you have been eyeballing for yourself while your there to grab a soap. Maybe buy her a soap while your at it? Bunch of enablers around these parts! Lol Anyhow, I think MWF would be good choice. As mentioned above get the refill puck.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
MWF is a good choice e for sure...plenty slick...good protection...pleasant but unobtrusive scent. Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving creams are also good. A bit easier to lather than MWF.

Dear tyoung.

I really respect you for that comment. Consider this when I was shopping for a razor last month.

As most of you would know, I have looked at several DE razors before deciding on the Sledgehammer or Progress. I compared the said razors side by side in front of my wife (she looked at them as well). We both much preferred the Sledgehammer over the Progress. My wife doesn't like the idea of several razors filling up the bathroom.

When it comes to soaps, my wife insisted that I only choose ONE soap that I really like. I somewhat agree with that; there is no point me owing several soaps if a particular one is going to get a lot more use than the others.

Right now my main focus is to find a blade that suits my skin perfectly. Once that mission is accomplished then I will turn my attention to a soap that will perfectly compliment it.

Jason.
Ha! "my wife insisted that I only choose ONE soap".

That's similar to what my wife said about the number of razors that I have (though nowhere near the number that some of the other fine gents here on the forum have). Her words were "why so many razors? you only have one face!"

I haven’t used MWF in awhile but I find it to be an excellent soap and easy to use even though I have hard water. Though I prefer Stirling (also has lanolin) soaps over MWF. Stirling has an online retailer in the UK that sells their products though I can’t remember the name of it right now

Ha! "my wife insisted that I only choose ONE soap".

That's similar to what my wife said about the number of razors that I have (though nowhere near the number that some of the other fine gents here on the forum have). Her words were "why so many razors? you only have one face!"
Did you ask her why she has so many purses or shoes? If so, I hope your couch is comfortable! 😁

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
My OH often comments on the fact that I have considerably more products than she has, but I don't mind. The truth is I have more products than the rest of the family put together and there are seven of us.

Top Bottom