What's new

I don't want a Muhle R41

Hi all,

I decided I want to get an aggressive razor, after some research. (Not an adjustable)

I don't want a R41. It's billed as the closest thing to a straight. But if I want a straight I'll just use a straight. I want a DE for when I need to shave quickly.

I currently have an edwin jagger with an Lord L6 head (it was more aggressive). But after using straights and shavettes it feels quite mild and I want something with more of an edge ;) since I don't have experience with more aggressive razors

The Fatip retro looks good as an aggressive option that is not so aggressive that it's no longer convinient.

Any other reccomendations. I guess I want an open comb since I haven't used one of those yet.

The Fatip retro looks good as an aggressive option that is not so aggressive that it's no longer convinient.
The Fatip is a good choice; maybe the open comb slant. Also consider the EJ 3ONE6 (cost £75 or $100), if that is within the budget. Open combs are not necessarily aggressive hence the 3ONE6 which has a large blade gap but negative blade exposure. The Muhle Rocca is similar.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Slant razors only require adaptation at the sideburns and work the same as any other DE everywhere else.

Any Fatip will meet what you‘ve requested. Hoping the Retro, FOCS, Grande, or Piccolo brings you the mix of comfort and efficiency you crave.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have no idea what an aggressive razor means. In fact, I think it a meaningless term unless it's defined in context. Is it one that bites, tears you up, irritates you, causes a lot of weepers, feels rough and harsh?

9-17-21.FOCS.ABC.Zenith3Band.640.JPG

10-1-21.R41GS.640.JPG

7-15-21.R95.CH2-Best.Vitos.640.JPG

The R41 has a reputation as "aggressive," so it's a good case in point. It's not a biter compared to many which are. It's smooth feeling on my skin albeit not as smooth feeling as the FOCS on its left. It's also not quite as smooth feeling as the R95 on its right, but it might be a tad more efficient.

All three of these razors are reasonably efficient, very effective razors.

The FOCS has one of the most delicious balances of qualities in any razor I know of. It's very easy to use, has about zero learning curve, doesn't bite (of course any razor can bite with user error), is very smooth feeling, and shaves very well considering how mild it is.

9-27-21.Wolfman1.15.Zenith3Band.Vitos.640.JPG

The Wolfman WR2 1.15 would also be hard to beat. Super smooth. Quite efficient.

The WR2 and the FOCS are in my hard to achieve, hard to beat Daily Driver category.

I've used the R41 daily for at least a couple of weeks as a daily driver. It does require a light touch and a steep angle and a little bit of careful attention (but not much). It has a learning curve, but steep is the secret.

The bad reputation R41 is the 2011 version which is just about impossible to find. The newer 2013 is a razor you might reconsider, but I'd get a FOSC first any day. BTW, all the Fatips are similar to the FOCS, but the FOCS is the top of the Fatip heap unless you can find a old Mk1 (and it's only tied for the top with the FOCS).

There you have my two cents. YMMV.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have no idea what an aggressive razor means. In fact, I think it a meaningless term unless it's defined in context. Is it one that bites, tears you up, irritates you, causes a lot of weepers, feels rough and harsh?

The R41 has a reputation as "aggressive," so it's a good case in point. It's not a biter compared to many which are. It's smooth feeling on my skin albeit not as smooth feeling as the FOCS on its left. It's also not quite as smooth feeling as the R95 on its right, but it might be a tad more efficient.

All three of these razors are reasonably efficient, very effective razors.

The FOCS has one of the most delicious balances of qualities in any razor I know of. It's very easy to use, has about zero learning curve, doesn't bite (of course any razor can bite with user error), is very smooth feeling, and shaves very well considering how mild it is.

View attachment 1341939

The Wolfman WR2 1.15 would also be hard to beat. Super smooth. Quite efficient.

The WR2 and the FOCS are in my hard to achieve, hard to beat Daily Driver category.

I've used the R41 for at lease a couple of weeks as a daily driver. It does require a light touch and a steep angle and a little bit of careful attention (but not much).

The bad reputation R41 is the 2011 version which is just about impossible to find. The newer 2013 is a razor you might reconsider, but I'd get a FOSC first any day. BTW, all the Fatips are similar to the FOCS, but the FOCS is the top of the Fatip heap unless you can find a old Mk1 (and it's only tied for the top with the FOCS).

There you have my two cents. YMMV.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I agree with Jim. The R41 is really not that scary. It’s up there in efficiency, but there are other razors more aggressive. I own one (well actually two!) Wolfman, which is my daily driver, but I still like the R41 quite a bit.

It seems that the Fatip Open Comb Slant would meet your requirements. It's also made of solid brass and reasonably priced. You just need to choose the larger or smaller handle and the finish (chrome or gold).

Hi all,

I decided I want to get an aggressive razor, after some research. (Not an adjustable)

I don't want a R41. It's billed as the closest thing to a straight. But if I want a straight I'll just use a straight. I want a DE for when I need to shave quickly.

I currently have an edwin jagger with an Lord L6 head (it was more aggressive). But after using straights and shavettes it feels quite mild and I want something with more of an edge ;) since I don't have experience with more aggressive razors

Any other reccomendations. I guess I want an open comb since I haven't used one of those yet.
I shave just as quickly with my R41 as with any other razor and it gives me a very close shave! It's the only razor I used now. It might be worth trying but it's up to you.

I accidentally ended up with one when I purchased a vintage Star off the 'bay. The pictures had a blade in it and I did not pay close enough attention to notice the lack of a guard. No mention of it in the description. Oh well, $1.98 + shipping wiser. I wondered how I did not get outbid in the last 60 seconds. No, I have not tried to use it yet, but I did eventually find a complete bottom plate.

I reckon a OC Fatip grande or piccolo would be a good choice I've got the R41 but can only use on +3 days of growth VERY efficient but aggressive in my book, the Fatips are efficient but way more useable for the record my most used DE is the Lupo SS 95 which is another great option for me its the perfect balance between efficient and smooth

I would consider (in no particular order): Blackbird, Rocca, Tatara Nodachi, Lupo 95, EJ 3one6

All of these razors are very efficient while maintaining a smooth, comfortable shave.

Top Bottom