What's new

Another noob thread! With a few questions...

If you're already looking at Smoking Pipes for your cobs, you might as well load up on one ounce samples. Get started going down rabbit ho- I mean finding what you like.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
@proslogion when you say “local shop” are you heading to an actual pipe shop, tobacco/cigar shop, or a discount tobacco type shop? I’ve found that most shops that sell mostly cigars don’t sell that much pipe tobacco so the selection is limited and who knows how old it is. A lot of them just dump bags of tobacco they buy into glass jars then charge more for it by the ounce. I’ve on more than one occasion been offered Lane 1Q by a different name for twice what SP sells it for.
The discount tobacco shops around here are hit and miss. Some have a few tubs of Codger blends and some cobs, others have nothing.
If you have a true pipe shop in your area you’re very lucky. They should be able to help you with any problems.
As others have mentioned, if you’re going to order cobs from SP might as well get some samples as well.

@proslogion when you say “local shop” are you heading to an actual pipe shop, tobacco/cigar shop, or a discount tobacco type shop? I’ve found that most shops that sell mostly cigars don’t sell that much pipe tobacco so the selection is limited and who knows how old it is. A lot of them just dump bags of tobacco they buy into glass jars then charge more for it by the ounce. I’ve on more than one occasion been offered Lane 1Q by a different name for twice what SP sells it for.
The discount tobacco shops around here are hit and miss. Some have a few tubs of Codger blends and some cobs, others have nothing.
If you have a true pipe shop in your area you’re very lucky. They should be able to help you with any problems.
As others have mentioned, if you’re going to order cobs from SP might as well get some samples as well.

I don't think I have a pipe specific shop anywhere near me... almost everything is cigars and pipes with likely more sales coming from cigars.

If I order from SP - what bulks should I order? I was kind of leaning towards just doing the Amphora sampler, but would definitely throw in a few more while I'm at it (or instead of) if I should!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I don't think I have a pipe specific shop anywhere near me... almost everything is cigars and pipes with likely more sales coming from cigars.

If I order from SP - what bulks should I order? I was kind of leaning towards just doing the Amphora sampler, but would definitely throw in a few more while I'm at it (or instead of) if I should!
The amphora sampler is a good start. If you have a Brown Leaf badge we can move this conversation to the stock exchange and discuss samples a little more.

As a relative noob myself, I did the same thing you did. Went to the shop, smelled different tobaccos, and bought what smelled good. Went home lit up, and couldn't taste anything like what I smelled. At first, I wrote this off as me being inexperienced and not smoking cool enough, or packing properly, or drying it out to the perfect humidity, so on and so on.

And then I realized after a while, and trying different, non aromatic blends, that I don't think I was the problem. I have been enjoying blends lately such as escudo, Peterson early morning pipe and nightcap, and a few others.

I am not sure about the aftertaste, but I agree with the cleaning suggestions. Give em a good swabbing with some alcohol and see what happens

For cleaning, cotton balls will yield similar results as salt with both less mess and chance of damaging your pipes. Similarly, use an eye dropper to apply alcohol.

For cleaning, cotton balls will yield similar results as salt with both less mess and chance of damaging your pipes. Similarly, use an eye dropper to apply alcohol.

Eye droppers work great. But if you're already the type to enjoy a classic mixed drink, I would recommend jiggers. That's those things you see at the bars on the bottles they pour out of. Controls the pours very nicely, both for the cotton balls and in a glass. And for around 5 a pair, a good buy.

Top Bottom