What's new

Bought my first Strop and it came with a Scratch. How bad is it?

Hello!
I am very new to straight razor shaving and I bought my first Strop. It came in today and when I opened it I saw this scratch on it. I can feel the scratch with my fingers when I go over it. Is this still usable or should I send it back? What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance!
Best,
GBB
IMG_20210901_203852.jpg
IMG_20210901_203858.jpg

Was it bought used? That's not a big deal. Shouldn't impact use.

Was it bought new? Because that's not new. That damage is not original to the hide. That's damage from use... so they send you a used/returned strop. 100% return it.

I cut and scraped the heck out of my first strop years ago so if the Vendor won’t replace/exchange then use it and as stared you will most likely damage it anyway, after say 6 months or so and you develop that muscle memory for stropping then visit @Tony Miller shop and get one of his and it will last a lifetime and arrive with zero damage, fit and finish are top notch

I have a similar situation, but perhaps a little more subtle. (Didn't want to spam with a new thread for something 99% similar.)

Strop is an Illinois #827/Russian Imperial.
The imperfection is on the flesh side. (Which I assume is the intended stropping surface, not the ribbed top-grain side)
Can this be removed? If so, how would I remove it? Just sand it a bit with 1k or something?

I wanna be able to keep it since I got it for $15 new, but not if it's gonna blunt my razor.

Attachments

• 20211006_151814.jpg
    20211006_151814.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 30
It’s a $15 dollar strop?

It will not affect the blade. You can smooth the back side, but just use the front side, you will be fine.
It's not normally $15. This brand of strops are usually around $40-$50usd. I just got it on sale, that's all.

Also apparently with this style, the flesh side IS the "front side".
The surface on the opposing side has an extremely rough ribbed texture pressed into it. No idea why, but switching to the top-grain side's out.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
It's not normally $15. This brand of strops are usually around $40-$50usd. I just got it on sale, that's all.

Also apparently with this style, the flesh side IS the "front side".
The surface on the opposing side has an extremely rough ribbed texture pressed into it. No idea why, but switching to the top-grain side's out.
On the Illinois strop the ribs on the back are created with a roller during manufacture which compresses and stiffens the surface temper of the opposing front, flesh side. Unlike many strops the Illinois #827 Russian leather strop is not reversible.

These used to be dozens on articles on how to sand the rough side smooth to make it like other strops. The Illinois #127 is the identical strop made with the skin side out and much less work than trying to sand down and 827 unless you especially want a slightly rough flesh side. Way back when I sold Illinois strops I used to pair an 827 with a 127 for a rough/smooth dual leather strop.

I would use yours just as is and it should work well.

Top Bottom