What's new

Identity Crisis - Feather blades?

Love my Feather blades.... or so I thought. My standard load out is a Merkur HD with Feather blades. Getting a decent shave ... but it seemed the effort to get a close shave on my neck overlapped with some nicks and irritation. I never felt like it was totally close either, always some little scruff left behind.

Last month, had a business trip so I bought my old pre-safety razor standby, the green plastic dual-blade disposable Schicks. I was shocked at how easily and quickly I was getting an irritation-free baby butt smooth shave. Quick and close under the neck.

My faith in my regular rig is shaken. I don't want to go back to buying bags of plastic razors, but wondering what other blade besides a Feather I should be using? Maybe it's just too aggresive? I hate to even type this, but is there a blade/razor combo that would better approximate the disposable razor experience?

Blades are so subjective…the ultimate YMMV. I have yet to have a comfortable shave with a Feather blade yet so many people swear by them. I’ve had great shaves with blades that others swear are terrible. I’m not sure if you’ve tried it or not but a blade sampler might help you decide. I have personally really liked Bic Chrome Platinums, Voskhod, numerous Gillette blades like Platinum and Silver Blue, and most recently, King C. Gillette.

Not to enable you or anything, but have you tried any other razors? My heart is always with DE as I think they are oozing/dripping with the coolness factor, but the deeper I get into this hobby the more I find that I get my best shaves with a GEM single edge or a straight razor. With DE no matter how hard I try, no matter how many razors and blades I use, I still get some bumps on my neck if used every day. I do not get that with a single edge GEM style or a straight razor.

Tinkering is half the fun! So much to try, and all of our faces are different.

As someone else pointed out, maybe you should try a blade sampler. I recently purchased several blade samplers recently and am going to go through and see which blades work the best with which razor.

I read somewhere that some men will keep a log (either written or in a spreadsheet format), so that is what I've started doing. Otherwise, I won't be able to accurately compare different razor and blade combinations.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Love my Feather blades.... or so I thought. My standard load out is a Merkur HD with Feather blades. Getting a decent shave ... but it seemed the effort to get a close shave on my neck overlapped with some nicks and irritation. I never felt like it was totally close either, always some little scruff left behind.

Last month, had a business trip so I bought my old pre-safety razor standby, the green plastic dual-blade disposable Schicks. I was shocked at how easily and quickly I was getting an irritation-free baby butt smooth shave. Quick and close under the neck.

My faith in my regular rig is shaken. I don't want to go back to buying bags of plastic razors, but wondering what other blade besides a Feather I should be using? Maybe it's just too aggresive? I hate to even type this, but is there a blade/razor combo that would better approximate the disposable razor experience?

With a good prep and quality shaving cream any well executed shave can be great. You have been around for a long time so I’m sure your DE technique is on point. Disposables are very mild IMO with minimal blade flex/exposure. What other razors are you using now?

Have you ever tried a straight?

Kai blades really woke up my Merkur 34C. A Derby Extra from my sample pack was a smooth shave in the 34C. A vintage Schick injector might be of interest to you.

Thanks for the replies! Thanks for the recommendation on the sampler. I've tried a couple different blades in the past, but it's been such a long time maybe I should revisit other blades.

I always figure since I have a thick dark beard, I defaulted to the sharpest blade and stuck with it. It wasn't until I tried disposables that I realised I need to change it up.

I'm currently using a 34c. I have an ancient Gilette butterfly adjustable, but it's so old and worn, the times I've tried it, it's very inconsistent.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Feather blades are very sharp but it gives up some smoothness to achieve this physical high mark. I prefer Gillette silver blue or Gillette 7oClock Super platinum & Kai SS blade (Sharp &smoooth). If you want some more aggression & efficentcy the Kai SS Blade is wider than a Standard Gillette blades by 9/1000 of a inch giving 4.5/1000" per side which does not seem much but in a razor that is a nice bump up IMO. Good to have a tuck or 2 for mild razors IMO.

YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide.jpg

Those green dual blade Schicks (Wilkinson in Europe) are one of the best disposables.

If I shave every other day with a safety razor irritation is nonexistent. Plus with the right tools and prep you don't look too bad after 24 hours. If you already have experience with some blades I would make a custom blade sampler on Tryablade or razorsbladeclub, I think the later actually has free shipping with a 100 blade purchase. Try to pick blades that are available for sale where you live.

Maybe it is time to try a new razor? I picked up a Winning razor in June and I consistently get my best shaves with it. Winning razor

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have to agree with the Schick Injector and single blade Gem style razor suggestions for your thick beard. Very little blade flex just like carts.

Feather is the blade I have used the most. However, mostly used for a single shave on my 3-7 day beard. At the beginning of the month, I decided to try this Excalibur thing, used a Feather blade for a couple of weeks and was not impressed. Before trying to squeeze the blade, I typically used a blade for a single shave and picked one at random. After sticking to the same blade I have to say I consider Feathers best when fresh and not for daily shaves unless you have a beard like chewbacca. For frequent shaves, I prefer (US-made) Personnas, Voskhod and Indian blades (Platinum-coated).
Supposedly Henson razors have the best blade clamping, but I have never owned one. You might like a Gillette Old Type clone or an adjustable. I like my 6S, but I don't have a thick beard.

Interesting......some of those cartridges are good!

Thanks for the replies! Thanks for the recommendation on the sampler. I've tried a couple different blades in the past, but it's been such a long time maybe I should revisit other blades.

I always figure since I have a thick dark beard, I defaulted to the sharpest blade and stuck with it. It wasn't until I tried disposables that I realised I need to change it up.

I'm currently using a 34c. I have an ancient Gilette butterfly adjustable, but it's so old and worn, the times I've tried it, it's very inconsistent.
I’d move on from the 34c. In fact I have. I also have a thick beard, and the razor just had a hard time with it. Went cheap with Gillette vintage and got a Slim, which opens up a world of different blades, then a Super Speed red tip, which cuts smooth and fast, and then a Gillette NEW, which I’m enjoying because it has great success with more (inexpensive) blades than the razors I’ve tried before.
I thought I was frustrated with DE razors, but really I was just frustrated with the 34c. Using other razors, I’ve probably learned enough technique that I could adjust to anything, even my old 34c, but I’m having too much fun to go back.

My faith in my regular rig is shaken. I don't want to go back to buying bags of plastic razors, but wondering what other blade besides a Feather I should be using? Maybe it's just too aggresive? I hate to even type this, but is there a blade/razor combo that would better approximate the disposable razor experience may

I think you should try the Feather razor. I didn't like Feather blades until I tried that. Other than that Voskhod was my favorite. Smooth.
However using feathers razor Feather is best.
Imho

I have never been able to achieve close shaves with a 34c without considerable work, which causes irritation. It is simply too mild for me. You might want to start researching a new razor. I am picky with vintage Gillettes. A good old type might be worth consideration. A Fatip may be a good replacement that is not too expensive, any of them really. I would also mention the Karve with a D plate as nice middle ground.

Top Bottom