What's new

Rash when NOT shaving

Hello, I've searched over and over and found a minor discussion about this in this forum but havnt really found a solution. There is so much about shaving rashes but I get a rash on my full mustache area, chin and sideburn on my right side of my face every single time I miss 2 days of shaving. The rash happens in the exact same place every time. It eventually goes away if I can shave every night but it takes at least a week. The fact that it comes back exactly in the same pattern every time seems to show it truly doesn't go away, only isn't irritated. I've tried all creams, even had my dr. Look at it only to prescribe something that doesn't work either. I can't be the only one this is happening too. Although, it feels everyone else has this issue when they do shave. Any tips or any recommendations to help with this issue is so appreciated. Thanks

That really sounds more like ingrown hairs if it is happening in the same spot and given a couple days to grow under the skin. If not, I would suggest an alum bar about 3 days a week(not medical advice).

I have this exact issue. For me it is my curly facial hair curling back in and causing irritation. If I go longer than 48 hours without shaving then this happens (unless I power through it and grow a beard, which I have done a few times).

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
If it is caused by ingrowns, there are two types of ingrowns. One type is where the hair does not grow past the skin surface before digging in. The other type is where the hair grows out past the skin and then curls back into the skin.

Facial hair grows at about 0.4mm per 24 hours. From what you described, it sounds like you might be experiencing the second type. As you have already observed, the cure is to shave daily (best done with a straight razor) of grow a beard.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
If it is caused by ingrowns, there are two types of ingrowns. One type is where the hair does not grow past the skin surface before digging in. The other type is where the hair grows out past the skin and then curls back into the skin.

Facial hair grows at about 0.4mm per 24 hours. From what you described, it sounds like you might be experiencing the second type. As you have already observed, the cure is to shave daily (best done with a straight razor) of grow a beard.
I have issue #2 and sensitive skin. I have been bearded most of my life. A mild razor, good soap and technique and pretty much a daily shave or bearded are your only options. I have been bearded most of my life My suggestion. completely unsolicited and worth what you are paying for it is as follows:

Get a mild razor, I have had good success with a a Gillette Tech and a Henson AL13 mild
Astra SP or Pesonna Lab Blue blades
Good soap, I have had good success with Arko, Barrister and Mann and Stirling
Decent brush, I have had good success face lathering Arko with a Wee Scot and bowl lathering all 3 soaps with a Vie Long Peleon and a Stirling Synthetic brush.
If you are going to bowl lather follow @JCinPA 's Foolproof Lathering Method to the letter
I have only used Old Spice and Barrister and Mann Spice aftershave in any kind of recent memory with good results (my wife likes the Spice type scents)
2 pass ONLY lathering well between passes and no pass or touch up dry
I have been clean shaven with no irritation for the longest period in my life currently and my complexion is the best it have ever been.
I can go 2 days occasionally without shaving and not look like a bum or breaking out terribly.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
As you have already observed, the cure is to shave daily (best done with a straight razor) of grow a beard.
I do have to agree with the straight razor bit. Using one consistently is the only way my face (especially neck) can remain completely clear with daily shaving.

I could not agree more. Since I was 15 years old when I first started shaving I suffered from ingrown hairs all over my neck. My Dermatologist at the time advised me to either keep the hair shaved very close or grow a beard.

If I miss one or two days I begin to get these irritating and painful ingrown hairs on the neck and it takes weeks for them to be resolved through daily shaving. Also, the double edge works much better than a cartridge razor, but the straight razors are the only thing that have provided me with a consistently irritation free neck with not one bit of irritation.

I enjoy the same amount of irritation free issues as a preadolescent does thanks to my aggressive straight edge regimen. I happen to have a co-worker who has the same condition that I gave a new Dovo and Strop to, thinking that I would be paying it forward, but he is too afraid of the razor to dive in. Big mistake on his part.

but he is too afraid of the razor to dive in. Big mistake on his part.
That's funny because I am actually most comfortable using an un guarded blade on my neck. I can feel when I am grabbing those flat hairs the first time and don't make multiple passes, just a little swipe by rolling my wrist and done.

Top Bottom