What's new

Just go get a Lamy 2000

:lol::lol::lol:uncircumcised pens...wow! Almost sprayed coffee all over my monitor. Reminds me of Mel Brooks. RIP Mel!

Anyway, yeah the Parker 51. I guess a lot of the things I was praising the 2000 for would also apply to the 51. Unassuming, professional, iconic design, and all that. Another nice "modern" design, if I do say so myself.
I was a long time coming for me, mainly being averse to the look of the thing and that they're pricey for a vintage pen. Then a reasonably priced one came up so I jumped on it to see what all the hype was all about. (FYI careful using the word "hype" and Parker 51 in the same sentence. The diehard 51 people get all up in arms.) It turned out it was a really great sturdy pen that had heft and a real feel of quality about it. Previously, the 45 was the closest I got and that has an entirely different feel about it. I've grown accustomed to the look of it.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Sort about that. I must have been drinking. I have the multi 2000 but the refills are tough to get and expensive. Also I really don’t use red and green all that much. When I write in red I think people in the office take it as I’m yelling. Lol. I’m the past I’ve stockpiled lamy refills but many dried out. I was pretty upset discovering a half a dozen ballpoint and roller refills dried out. I was trying to say the lamy refills present a block for me in terms of price and ease of availability etc. sorry to complain. I dig the 2000 design. Think about the pen designed in 1966 and it’s still in production.
LOL! No worries dude. Cheers! :a8::a54::a17:

Yep, makes total sense. I've heard elsewhere that the refills are the worst part of Lamy ballpoints/rollerballs. Otherwise, the designs are great. I don't use red much either, which I think I mentioned in justifying my preference for multi-pens. There is a school of thought that orange is a better color for editing.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
LOL! No worries dude. Cheers! :a8::a54::a17:

Yep, makes total sense. I've heard elsewhere that the refills are the worst part of Lamy ballpoints/rollerballs. Otherwise, the designs are great. I don't use red much either, which I think I mentioned in justifying my preference for multi-pens. There is a school of thought that orange is a better color for editing.
Orange is the new black 🤔😁😂

Now you had to go and do that. I think I need orange fp ink now. (To round out my collection)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
This thread just keeps going and going. I was hoping it would fade away so I didn't have to say something. Like I think it's ugly.

OK, I said it. I've used them, liked the nib and feel in my hand but the looks ... meh. Not a Bauhaus guy on this one.

I do have and enjoy my 1950s Lamy 27, a similar pen in some ways.
full

Last edited:
This thread just keeps going and going. I was hoping it would fade away so I didn't have to say something. Like I think it's ugly.

OK, I said it. I've used them, liked the nib and feel in my hand but the looks ... meh. Not a Bauhaus guy on this one.

I do have and enjoy my 1950s Lamy 27, a similar pen in some ways.
full
Oh Nemo... You're adding to my ebay watch list. As always.

As to a 2k, I never liked the looks. But I got one as a gift to myself after a promotion. It is an OB.

I put it up with a Pilot Vanishing Point with a Binder ground non as to be in my pocket daily.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Couple of more random thoughts.
The multi pen. Have you ever had a magic pen? You turn the pen in your hand so that you are looking at the color you want. Click the mechanism and boom there it is. I mean come on folks. Magic.
The 2000 ball pen. Aside from the darn lamy ball pen refills ( which I’ll say their broad blue is perfection in ink) it is the best ball pen ever. The build and the lines of the pen fit 100% in my hand. It seems to cradle right in there. It’s wide enough and narrow all at the right places. The weight is perfect. It has substantial heft but it’s light. Again magic perhaps or insane engineering! In fact I had used it so
Much back in the day that the finish seems a little worn.

tankerjohn

Couple of more random thoughts.
The multi pen. Have you ever had a magic pen? You turn the pen in your hand so that you are looking at the color you want. Click the mechanism and boom there it is. I mean come on folks. Magic.
Yes sir! That’s exactly how the Platinum Double 3 Action multi-pen works. Pretty slick.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Dear Brothers.
I write to you all with a heavy heart. I’ve been using my lamy 2000 of late. This is a tragic tale however. Long story short. The pen rolled away from me I work at a high counter so I can stand up on occasion. The pen took a nose dive I just couldn’t grab it and I wasn’t thinking this was a fatal situation. Anyway. Perfect 10 swan dive 4’ to a tile floor. Landed right on the nib. At first I thought in my panic (ink on the floor) that it was ok. Then I noticed. Sorry no pic but the nib was bent back dramatically and to the side. In more of a panic I bent it back with my fingers now hoping that wasn’t a bad idea. I got it to where it writes but it’s way off. Anyone have suggestions on what to do. Does lamy service these or is there a pen doctor anyone can recommend. Thanks in advance.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Dear Brothers.
I write to you all with a heavy heart. I’ve been using my lamy 2000 of late. This is a tragic tale however. Long story short. The pen rolled away from me I work at a high counter so I can stand up on occasion. The pen took a nose dive I just couldn’t grab it and I wasn’t thinking this was a fatal situation. Anyway. Perfect 10 swan dive 4’ to a tile floor. Landed right on the nib. At first I thought in my panic (ink on the floor) that it was ok. Then I noticed. Sorry no pic but the nib was bent back dramatically and to the side. In more of a panic I bent it back with my fingers now hoping that wasn’t a bad idea. I got it to where it writes but it’s way off. Anyone have suggestions on what to do. Does lamy service these or is there a pen doctor anyone can recommend. Thanks in advance.
Replacement Lamy nibs are available (try your usual pen shops). They are easy to swap over.

Even though I don't own one, but have been doing at least a weakly writing sample at my local BM store (after the lockdowns were over here in Perth, Western Australia). It is indeed an amazing pen, very much understated but you can feel the quality and luxury when writing.

True story:

The first time I saw someone using it was maybe 12 years ago and did not think much of it other than the interesting "uncircumcised" nib. In those days I wrote with pencils. So I was in a meeting would say half the invitees had the Mont Blanc ball point pen and yet this 1 (off) person was using a fountain pen and that too the Lamy 2000.

I asked him about the pen and he gave me the full spec, 14K gold "knob", fibre glass body, big ink bank, Bauhaus design and so on. Then I asked him whether he had any Mont Blancs, he said he had a few but were given to him as gifts and he gave them away. He bought the Lamy 2000 himself and thinks those who have no knowledge on pens and/or fountain pens would immediately go for Mont Blanc if they had that kind of money to splurge. In his opinion of all the fountain pens, the Lamy 2000 is the least offensive pen in that it has no snob factor to the layman. When I asked him how much he paid, I was gob snapped that such a pen (I had never heard of Lamy and the 2000 is plane looking) would be so expensive (in those days a third the price of Mont Blanc 146).

The guy was the CEO of the company that I was working for.

Last edited:
Replacement Lamy nibs are available (try your usual pen shops). They are easy to swap over.

Yes, that's the way to go certainly, and my understanding is that it is easy to do yourself. But before you do that, keep an eye on the pen for a bit to see if the fall produced a crack in the body somewhere.

I wish I had. The 2K is not the prettiest pen. I mean, its black, flat-end, and barrel tapered, so not offensive by any means - just not my favorite. Though being a pedigreed Bauhaus design, it’s pretty much the ideal for sleek, industrial style if you’re into that sort of thing. Previously, I couldn’t get on with the hooded nib. It just looked off. Not fountain pen-y enough. But now, a few months after giving in to the universal acclaim for this pen and getting one myself, I must say it’s a favorite. I can’t put it down. When I’m heading out the door, it’s the pen I reach for. It just feels so good to use, and the design has grown on me.

I especially like it for work. It isn’t pretentious or showy. Most people who glance at it casually probably think it’s a Uniball. The makrolon is tough enough for the daily rough and tumble in the office environment, and the brushed finished doesn’t scratch. It feels good in the hand too. It feels like a serious professional pen.

The best part is that the pen excels as a pure writer. My broad nib is bouncy and fun and has a nice stubby character. Of course, it holds a ton of ink. It’s the first pen I have owned that I really think of as an integrated writing instrument. I don’t want to repeat all the accolades others have written or said about this pen, but it’s all true. There’s a reason why certain bloggers – and I can think of two in particular - who own thousands of dollars’ worth of high-end special edition and artisan fountain pens rate the Lamy 2000 as their favorite.

I still like my other pens. I like the little quiver I’ve built up. I still think the Platinum 3776 has a better nib. The Pilot Custom 912 FA can do things the 2K can’t, and looks better to boot. My Pelikan M200s are fun and better pocket pens. My vintage pens are fun in their own way. But the 2K is probably the best all-rounder and has greatly tamed my wandering eye for new pens. New pens would only mean I could use the 2K less and that doesn’t sound very appealing at all.

If you don’t own one, you really should. Dirty enabling, I know! With both a 14K nib and (really good) piston-filler, they are a steal at <$200. Grab one now before inflation and German politics drive the price higher. Sure, it’s an investment. But good one, if you stick with this hobby and write a lot. I have a small drawer full of cheaper pens that I rarely use anymore that could have easily funded a 2K or two. You bet, the acquisition phase was fun while it lasted. But having arrived at a better place, I can honestly say I wish I’d just saved up for the Lamy 2000 instead. I admit I'm not very good at delayed gratification. But don't be like me. If you want a serious, high-quality workhorse pen that you'll buy once and cry once, just go get a Lamy 2000.
I used to have Lamy pens when I worked as a designer in a news daily. The Senior Graphics Editor loved them. I think I'm getting one, I've been happily enabled!

tankerjohn

Dear Brothers.
I actually did the same thing. :rolleyes5 Fortunately gold does bend. I was able to get mine straightened out by the guy at my local(ish) pen shop Bertram’s Inkwell. If you have a pen shop nearby, start there. If not, there are a number of online nib meisters that should be able to fix it for a reasonable fee. I don’t have any personal experience with any them however.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I actually did the same thing. :rolleyes5 Fortunately gold does bend. I was able to get mine straightened out by the guy at my local(ish) pen shop Bertram’s Inkwell. If you have a pen shop nearby, start there. If not, there are a number of online nib meisters that should be able to fix it for a reasonable fee. I don’t have any personal experience with any them however.
Thanks that’s what I was hoping and that I didn’t make it worse by trying to bend it back. New project to research getting it sorted.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thanks.
My local pen shop (where I bought most of my stuff at least lamy) closed down about ten years ago. Early stages of the economy and rent for him as a boutique stationery store. Alas I have the interwebs.

tankerjohn

Thanks that’s what I was hoping and that I didn’t make it worse by trying to bend it back. New project to research getting it sorted.
Following up on my previous post, the following nib meisters have a good reputation in the online community, but like I said, I haven’t patronized any of them directly. Sometimes these guys get backed up with work, so you might want to inquire about lead times.

(John Mottashaw and Mark Bacas are kind of the OG nib meisters, along with Richard Binder, whom I don’t believe accepts work anymore.)

These are some of the up-and-comers on the pen show circuit, at least up until everything got canceled last year for Covid.

Thanks.
My local pen shop (where I bought most of my stuff at least lamy) closed down about ten years ago. Early stages of the economy and rent for him as a boutique stationery store. Alas I have the interwebs.
What size was the nib?

Top Bottom