What's new

Broke my R41..

Fortunately it was the newer one and not my pre-2012 R41. But I did like some aspects of the newer design, notable the reduced blade flex from having more top cap coverage.

But I'm done with pot metal Zamak. I want something stainless like my Feather SS. Haven't followed the DE market in years (2015 maybe?) so what's out there now that's stainless open comb and nice and aggressive like an R41? Something from Above the Tie?

Get yourself a Muhle R41GS stainless steel razor and you don’t have to worry about Zamak crappy pot metal.

Last edited:
Thanks Gents! I think that R41gs might be just what the doc ordered. I prefer to stick with an R41 because I know it so well after using it for so long.

If only they'd make a stainless version of the older model. There's nothing as satisfying as the way the old R41 "talks to you" as you shave. I turn the bath fan off just so I can hear it better.

Fortunately it was the newer one and not my pre-2012 R41. But I did like some aspects of the newer design, notable the reduced blade flex from having more top cap coverage.

But I'm done with pot metal Zamak. I want something stainless like my Feather SS. Haven't followed the DE market in years (2015 maybe?) so what's out there now that's stainless open comb and nice and aggressive like an R41? Something from Above the Tie?

Perfect timing!
The ideal moment to move on to a stainless steel Tatararazor Masamuna Nodachi.

B.

Thanks Gents! I think that R41gs might be just what the doc ordered. I prefer to stick with an R41 because I know it so well after using it for so long.

If only they'd make a stainless version of the older model. There's nothing as satisfying as the way the old R41 "talks to you" as you shave. I turn the bath fan off just so I can hear it better.
I switched from the R41 to the R41GS and never looked back.

Iridian

Cool and slimy

I have two suggestions for you. First though, you will love your stainless R41 head.

1.) There is a "clone" of the OLDER (2011) R41 model available in China, and in stainless steel as well:
The DSCosmetics Z0. A clone of the R41 2011. More aggressive than the current R41. Comes with a selection of really nice and fancy, but hyper-polished and slippery handles. Available on Aliexpress, where else.
It has the "shorter" cap of the older R41 design. So more blade is exposed. Actually, I find the 2013 head more than enough already, but just FYI! :)
2.) The handle of the R41GS is polished. It's the longer version of the R41, the "Grande" handle. It is a bit slippery, but through the shape, weight and size alone could actually still fit nicely in your hand, at least I think so. But you might want to replace it with a more grippy handle. For suggestions which handle would fit nicely, you know in which forum to ask, should you consider a replacement. ;) But it might not be necessary.

I own the 2011 R41, the 2013 zamak R41, the R41GS, and the DSCosmetic Z0. In my own opinion, the DSCosmetic shaves more like the R41GS than the 2011 R41. It is a decent value for a SS razor though and not a bad shaver.

I agree regarding the GS handle. If you are regular user of the shorter handle R41 of either vintage, you may find the GS handle a bit unwieldy and the SS material doesn't add anything in the way of grip.

It is my understanding that Muhle changed the zamak cap post from zamak to brass. There is a number under the cap with #4 for zamak and #5 for brass. I ordered the head only from Maggard and just used a spare handle I had. I liked it so much that I ordered the SS. Both shave about the same with the SS a little bit better probably because of the extra weight.

How in the world did you manage to break it?I have been using my 34c ,zamac,since 2000 daily and it is still brand new....

Maggard Razors sells the Muhle R41 top cap for $25 if you just want to replace cap. I'd post a link but no longer know what links are acceptable to post on this site.

I own the 2011 R41, the 2013 zamak R41, the R41GS, and the DSCosmetic Z0. In my own opinion, the DSCosmetic shaves more like the R41GS than the 2011 R41. It is a decent value for a SS razor though and not a bad shaver.

I agree regarding the GS handle. If you are regular user of the shorter handle R41 of either vintage, you may find the GS handle a bit unwieldy and the SS material doesn't add anything in the way of grip.
And that's why I replaced mine with a Razorock handle.

+2! This ^
I’m using an Ikon handle these days in my r41. The original felt a bit harder to control, and I don’t need to tell you guys how an out of control r41 can get you. A fresh Feather in my r41 got me nearly an inch wide once.

I’m using an Ikon handle these days in my r41. The original felt a bit harder to control, and I don’t need to tell you guys how an out of control r41 can get you. A fresh Feather in my r41 got me nearly an inch wide once.

Yep… My favourite combination with the iKon Bulldog handle.

Top Bottom