What's new

Feather Artist Club shavette

Hello, Gents, does the Feather AC shavette fit Schick Proline or Kai Guard blades? I’m considering getting the SS version from Japan. I see it is $71 on the auction site.

Because of the shipping charges from Japan, you may just get a similar deal locally and it may come in faster. I'm assuming you are in the US.

Hello, Gents, does the Feather AC shavette fit Schick Proline or Kai Guard blades? I’m considering getting the SS version from Japan. I see it is $71 on the auction site.
They will fit, but for me they are not a good match. The SS has a large lip, which causes you to use a relatively steep angle. If you are used to straight razors, this will probably not be an angle you are comfortable using. If you pare it with a Feather pro super, you are able to use a much better angle, because the blade exposure is bigger. I guess you will find out, but you need to at least try the super blade. The feather pro and the proline blades works grate in my AC SR, which has a smaller lip.
You are also more likely to cut your self if you use the required shaving angle with the Pro/Proline blades.
My proline blades are not that sharp though compared to the feathers. It almost feels like shaving with a coticule edge.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The SS has a large lip, which causes you to use a relatively steep angle. If you are used to straight razors, this will probably not be an angle you are comfortable using. If you pare it with a Feather pro super, you are able to use a much better angle, because the blade exposure is bigger. I guess you will find out, but you need to at least try the super blade. The feather pro and the proline blades works grate in my AC SR, which has a smaller lip.

Discovered this myself. The SS often requires a rather steep angle to get steel on skin when head-shaving. The SR, on the other hand, is a very smooth razor.

O.H.

Reactions: JPO
I use a regular Feather Pro blade with the SS. For the fleshy parts of the face, in comparison to when using a DE shavette or Feather DX, I use a little extra downward pressure at the lip while keeping the blade holder relatively flat so that the blade is perpendicular and not receiving as much force against skin. Trying to ride the lip and not the blade. I don't think I am making a radical adjustment in angle except over the the bony parts of the face like the jaw. But much of this is by feel rather than being so conscious of the exact angle. My SS shaves are not as close as other razors, unless I shave ATG and do careful cleanup. But that is why I sometimes like to use the SS, to get a quick shave without worry of nicks and abrasions. YMMV.

I've never felt an urge to get the SS, but I do find the DX to be a very good shaver that requires a lot of respect and it doesn't gert it it will make you pay for it in blood.

Got yesterweek a Feather SR from Japan for ca 98 € including postage. Very good first impression. Night and day compared to SS clone.
This is a good idea- skip the Feather SS and go for the newer Feather SR; mine was about $104 shipped from Japan to Nevada. IMHO the SR is a much better holder and gives an easier and better shave than the SS does. The shave is more traditional SR like, but yet a tad more forgiving than the DX, while the SR is less money.

This is a good idea- skip the Feather SS and go for the newer Feather SR; mine was about $104 shipped from Japan to Nevada. IMHO the SR is a much better holder and gives an easier and better shave than the SS does. The shave is more traditional SR like, but yet a tad more forgiving than the DX, while the SR is less money.
Maybe I’ll get the SR as well. Can’t hurt.

Top Bottom