What's new

Travel gear thread

Can we have a thread sharing our travel set up?
Here's mine:
-Ikon x3 slant/ATT aluminum handle
-Synthetic omega and vintage lucite (depending on my mood)
-various samples based on what I've got
-feather blades
-capt choice copper bowl
-proraso splash
All in a vancase bag that was gifted to me.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

there’s plenty of travel hear threads here, if you search back.

The whole shebang in a 1qt packing cube for carry on. This stays with me wherever I go. and a travel strop in a fist sized tin. I’ve done a month out of this one. I have a bigger kit that I can/have worked out of for months.

7DAC6690-F990-42E4-B1BC-24263D557F1F.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been using a kit for travel. I want to “upgrade” it by adding a velvet lining. Similar to a Gillette razor case.
Then the thought occurred to me to change boxes. The silver box is twelve cubic inches bigger. Not much, but trying for smallest container.

10A17C6D-ABD3-4DE2-8B81-DE03BEB30290.jpegEA2DF249-34C2-43A8-985F-F3EDEDD7CC92.jpegC0BE7731-3541-4390-B38D-416B56964B35.jpeg
my 457EC6A8-350E-4990-81CE-758123E413BB.jpegbrush here is a Vulvix 1000 (a Whippeddog 22 mm works also), razor is a Gillette ‘30s LC bar, and pre-war Tech head. The preshave oil and after shave containers will probably be changed for miniature hot sauce bottles.
change or not?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This is what I took with myself when travelling abroad like Mexico & Spain and I was not short of anything. The small bowl was not really used a lot but it was still a great choice because its metal. You do not need a lot to feel good with a decent shave. A milder razor is a good choice like a RR-SLOC or RR-old type because who needs open abrasions in different tropical settings in strange countries IMO. Make sure to discard spent blades in the back of this type of blade tuck so room cleaning staff don't get cut.
travel kit (2).jpg
Repurpose things or ideas for shaving needs..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am slowly putting together a travel set for when I am allowed by the Australian Federal government to leave the country. Currently there is an up-to 5 year jail penalty if you try without permission that is almost impossible to obtain.

I'm starting by working on putting together a M7DS of vintage "Bengall" ⅝ T.R. Cadman & Sons straight razors in a Shavers Delight (UK) seven-day set case.

IMG_20210903_123743.jpg

I'm not sure what will occur first; being granted permission to leave AU or getting the set completed. My money is on the latter.

I already have a suitable strop, brush and a stick of ARCO. I still have to make up a smaller (say 175mm x 65mm) 0.1μm diamond pasted balsa strop.

Once everything comes together, me world will be right again.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I look forward to travelling again. Some of those razors need to be packed in luggage I assume. I can't imagine that a SE razor would do well through security for carry on.
Sharp objects like razor blades and straight razors must be safely packed into checked luggage only, not allowed in carry-on luggage.

Fortunately most of my travel is paid for by my client and must include checked luggage to allow my to bring the equipment I need for my work (and shaving gear 😊). Occasionally I travel with carry-on only. Then my shaving enjoyment is greatly restricted.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
A 6-day road trip reveals my travel kit needs work. Evo knot in a custom handle is too dense to quickly dry, and frankly too soft for my liking. Canadian Tech isn’t delivering the shave nirvana so many others are sharing these days: 3 nicks today. Forgot my alum and balm.

When I get home, plan to switch to a boar or badger, and perhaps a Schick Krona.

438A73BC-6DDE-4064-82A3-ED2C991D0D25.jpeg

Everything I need I can fit in the pictured Tumi sleeve, even though exactly what I might carry on any given trip (not that I've had many recently!) might change, which is why I keep samples, and there are some examples on the left side. If a trip is long enough, I might carry two or three just for a change of pace. The M7 is synthetic and the travel brush is invariably synthetic. The travel brush is usually the H&SN075. The green Infa-Lab liquid is liquid styptic, which works wonders for, well, any slips.
Travel kit photo.jpeg

Here's the real travel question I have for the group: how best to handle razors and carry-ons. I do a fair number of overnight trips where I can manage with just a carry-on. Do folks go with cartridge razors? If so, which? I've carried a Mach3 but thinking that a single blade (the Bic metal?) might be closer to my daily DE shave. OR, since King C. Gillette blades seem to now be carried in major drugstore chains, I'm now thinking that I can bring my razor and swing by a drugstore to pick those up. And I can even check, at, say, CVS, is they have them in stock at the destination city. Curious if anyone has tried that?

Here's the real travel question I have for the group: how best to handle razors and carry-ons. I do a fair number of overnight trips where I can manage with just a carry-on. Do folks go with cartridge razors? If so, which? I've carried a Mach3 but thinking that a single blade (the Bic metal?) might be closer to my daily DE shave. OR, since King C. Gillette blades seem to now be carried in major drugstore chains, I'm now thinking that I can bring my razor and swing by a drugstore to pick those up. And I can even check, at, say, CVS, is they have them in stock at the destination city. Curious if anyone has tried that?
The Bic Metal is a very good disposable if you can source it. The much more widely available Bic 2 is not far behind it though.
2A224519-5C79-481B-A709-D70A5B4A346F.jpeg

Last edited:
how best to handle razors and carry-ons.
I have 3 basic strategies when I'm restricted to a carry on.
First: If I'm traveling to a familiar destination (family or friends) I'll stash blades from a previous visit,
Second: If I'm going to be headquartered somewhere (a week in a hotel or Air bob) I'll mail a tuck ahead and ask that it be held for me,
Third: Most commonly I'll run to a drug store and pick up a pack of blades. There seem to be more and more drugstores carrying de blades. I commonly find King C Gillette, Personna, and recently a German made brand called Goodline.
Honestly though, I generally fly Southwest so I can check my bags which I greatly prefer.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Its always so neat to see how ppl pack for trips and the great ideas they come up with. In the past I've always just tried my best to source my shave things at the destination (hotel free bc disposables and ketchup pack-style shaving creams, local stores, etc) and the shaves have been mostly of the "that's not bad for a McGyver'd shave" and "it'll suffice".

I think in the future I would pack at least my 19mm Muhle stf brush so I can prep and lather -something-, but still source the rest. Brush/face lathering/swirling is -the- main engine of my face prep (I don't use preshaves etc).

I kinda enjoy the sourcing/hunt part and while sometimes I come away with a bic disposable, sometimes I'll also come away with a neat razor that is a keeper and will come home with me.

Top Bottom