What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

This is a vendor photo, NOS Henkotsu coming in from Japan.

IMG_6960_1680x.jpg

This is a vendor photo, NOS Henkotsu coming in from Japan.

View attachment 1330775
Post 18, third photo? Hard to be certain.

Picked up this Dahlgren frameback. I mostly got it for the scales which as I suspected are ivory, and in good shape. I can't tell how close it is to the original width. It's a hair under 6/8 at the widest point. Other than the toe there's not much hone wear on the spine. But my quick math puts the bevel angle over 20 degrees.

I guess I'll hone it before I spend a lot of time cleaning it up to see how it shaves. There's some ugliness at the edge to work through. If it sucks I have an similar Engstrom coming that's in better shape. Maybe I'll face my fears and do a scale swap.
20210922_204931.jpg

Picked up this Dahlgren frameback. I mostly got it for the scales which as I suspected are ivory, and in good shape. I can't tell how close it is to the original width. It's a hair under 6/8 at the widest point. Other than the toe there's not much hone wear on the spine. But my quick math puts the bevel angle over 20 degrees.

I guess I'll hone it before I spend a lot of time cleaning it up to see how it shaves. There's some ugliness at the edge to work through. If it sucks I have an similar Engstrom coming that's in better shape. Maybe I'll face my fears and do a scale swap.
View attachment 1332716
They were sold in width in millimeters the largest size being 20mm, so I guess that the blade pretty much has its original width.

I don't need another razor more than a fish needs a bike, but sometimes I place a bid that most likely will be far too low, but then again occasionally I get surprised. That's why I picked up this Mascotte 13 at the Post office yesterday. As far as I can judge it is unused, but the two specks of micro pitting on the edge are to be removed before I shave with it.

20210924_162606.jpg

Top Bottom