What's new

What did you hone today?

First run with a new to me Thuringian. German steel on German stone combined to give a really nice edge.

5E5F8A34-3486-411A-B576-29C4A62ECD48.jpeg

I was looking around in my straight razor drawer, and this shortened and beat up 1st GEN Especial caught my eye! It’s had a rough life, but it takes a SCREAMING edge, and it is a phenomenal shaver! I will use use it after the WB above!

Vr

Matt
View attachment 1331612

Forgive a very uneducated q. from someone who doesn't know much about nagura... what's the difference between the yellow and the white Asano? Or are the yellow ones something else?

(Apart from colour! ;))

Forgive a very uneducated q. from someone who doesn't know much about nagura... what's the difference between the yellow and the white Asano? Or are the yellow ones something else?

(Apart from colour! ;))

Not at all…I am full of questions…there is no difference, except the yellow ones have been sealed with cashew lacquer. The lacquer helps to protect them.

Vr

Matt

Another trip with this one to a couple of Arkansas stones intended for the German market and used with a light machine oil. Feel on the black translucent lapped to P1500 was out of this world, didn't feel a thing apart from suction. Resulting shave this afternoon was very smooth, laying low three days' growth. Again, didn't feel a thing, both during the shave and afterwards. (BTW, the scratches towards the toe as shown in the image were introduced by a previous owner, a medical doctor, not by me. Always fun dealing with their lingering presence which leads to micro-chipping. A good excuse to haul out the stones, or shake things up, from time to time!)

HOTD-20-09-21.jpg

I may not know much…but I know when to be excited from an HHT!

The younger brick brother with actual Tomo Nagura from the corner that broke off somewhere along the way! The cracks are completely non-toxic, so I didn’t worry about avoiding them.

I re-did the finish on this Wacker OS…
C9AD0A4B-B1C9-4043-8798-C2D1DE257B95.jpeg

Initial slurry before honing:

AB5A5360-C324-4A21-9172-24F43085CE49.jpeg

Initial Slurry after working it for a few minutes:
C2AAE8D1-97FA-46E2-B42C-4C55AF84727C.jpeg

Second slurry…very very light:
1E101692-286C-4E52-9EA0-58D2E8A266F7.jpeg

Final finishing with just a whisp and water:
29F2C3CD-652E-413C-9ED3-BB3110B4A388.jpeg

HHT:
1E5D3BE1-402D-4360-9019-BF488F27D988.jpeg

I might have to shave after the first wave of kids go to bed!

Vr

Matt

First edge from a new ark that I’ve been prepping. This is a 6x2x1/2” budget stone that I took a shot on for a compact SR travel kit that I’m putting together. The more I clean it up, the more I’m starting to think that it’s a diamond in the rough.

The fist edge is sharp AF. I’m sure that they will only get better as the surface beds in.

71843D14-4A95-4D69-A33D-768DFAB321C3.jpeg

First edge from a new ark that I’ve been prepping. This is a 6x2x1/2” budget stone that I took a shot on for a compact SR travel kit that I’m putting together. The more I clean it up, the more I’m starting to think that it’s a diamond in the rough.

The fist edge is sharp AF. I’m sure that they will only get better as the surface beds.

I love using my ark to finish my knives as well. Whenever I break out my ark I will touch up my knife before cleaning off the stone

So I received this stone and tomo yesterday, and I wanted to run a very special razor through a full progression on it. It was fantastic…very easy to lose oneself in the process!

Then I picked the finest hair I could find of the brush, and the HHT was perfection. I am very grateful to have acquired a stone like this, and look forward to many years of use!

Shave test later this weekend I suspect!

Vr

Matt

F8E46075-B4EA-4802-8DF7-986E998FB63A.jpeg
7A2C646F-A9F7-41B9-852C-D336B708B381.jpeg
741BB48C-EB0A-428B-885D-7BEFFFF10912.jpeg

Last edited:
Put another razor over the new mystery ark this evening. The tranny gave a significant boost to the existing Les Lat edge. I find arks to be quite effective on the C135 steel. Also pulled this silicon mat out from under some pots in the kitchen. Seems like a step up from the usual tea towel set up! The stage is set for a good shave tomorrow.

E199D9EB-05E5-44B9-8AB5-0AD3713B77C9.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
Put another razor over the new mystery ark this evening. The tranny gave a significant boost to the existing Les Lat edge. I find arks to be quite effective on the C135 steel. Also pulled this silicon mat out from under some pots in the kitchen. Seems like a step up from the usual tea towel set up! The stage is set for a good shave tomorrow.

View attachment 1334570
I bought a roll of that rubber matting you put in draws. A square foot of that is purpose made to stop hones skating about.

71zeNiTrpvL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Also good for grip when removing stubborn lids from jars, and stopping the change sliding around in the cars central console.

Top Bottom