What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

Back from a trip to Dallas for service. It's good as new again
IMG_7056.JPG

Today, I pulled out "the other" Vostok, the GMT (650539), on a cheap grey NATO strap. Like the other Komandirskie, this bezel was loose; however, I wasn't able to adjust it as well as the other one. It seems that I either have the spring too loose, or the bezel won't go back on the watch. I must have tried a dozen times or more! Still, it does the job (timing the halves for my son's soccer games) well enough, even if it's just a bit looser than I would like. And like the other one, it's keeping time better than expected.

I do love the utilitarian look, the seconds "wheel" and the hands-set. :)

Vostok_GMT_KOMANDIRSKIE_650539.jpg

The wide-angle iPhone pic makes the case look huge on my tiny wrist, but I promise that it's better balanced!

This is what I wear every day; 007 mod I got done by yobokies about 12 years ago.

5F0DFDC0-395E-4C02-B3EB-F74BED4E5625.jpeg

This Freccione / Steve McQueen Explorer II probably deserves a picture too. It is my wrist, but the watch is my father’s. A little while back he took it in to a dealer to ask how much extra he’d need to add to get a Panerai. Thinking it might still be worth a couple of grand seeing as he’d bought it new, still had the papers, box, and had had it regularly serviced by Rolex. When they told him how much they went for nowadays, he made the entirely sensible decision to keep it and just buy the Panerai anyway :)

DB37BE0A-2164-400C-B643-DE5CE9AA6D40.jpeg

Today, I pulled out "the other" Vostok, the GMT (650539), on a cheap grey NATO strap. Like the other Komandirskie, this bezel was loose; however, I wasn't able to adjust it as well as the other one. It seems that I either have the spring too loose, or the bezel won't go back on the watch. I must have tried a dozen times or more! Still, it does the job (timing the halves for my son's soccer games) well enough, even if it's just a bit looser than I would like. And like the other one, it's keeping time better than expected.

I do love the utilitarian look, the seconds "wheel" and the hands-set. :)

View attachment 1332110

The wide-angle iPhone pic makes the case look huge on my tiny wrist, but I promise that it's better balanced!
Update: I futzed around with the bezel spring a bit more.

I tightened it up a fair bit and had the typical trouble with getting the bezel mounted again.

I looked at where the spring was protruding from the channel the most, started on that end and worked around, like you might do with a Tupperware lid...and then something made a pop/thunk sound and the last bit of the bezel popped on! I think the spring was hanging up on the edge of the channel and the way I moved something caused it to let go and get out of the way.

And hey - it's better! Much tighter, but still smooth, so it should stay in place when rotated to a specific spot. Cool...

Side Note/Pro Tip: an old credit card makes a decent tool for popping off the Vostok bezel. This probably wouldn't work on a watch with a bit tighter tolerances, but it's good to know.

Top Bottom