What's new

ZAHAROFF SIGNATURE

Just the 2nd time I have used this soap. Shaved today using an Omega synthetic brush. Unlike the other soaps I own, this soap seems to take forever to create a lather. Seems to be a thirsty soap. Once I woke up the lather and applied to the face, it has a great slick feel and spares me from shave knicks. Anyone else out there using Zaharoff? If so, what has been your experience. SOAP has a great scent and is worth the trouble in getting up a good lather.

I have not tried it. But from what I hear, I think it’s just the gentleman’s nod cardinal base that is more of a low structure lather. So it’s not going to burst into a voluminous, high structure lather like what you’d find with somehting like one of PAA’s bases.

Guys, thanx for the inputs. I did some snooping around on the internet after reading brettimby's response. Apparently, the maker of the Zaharoff soap purposely formulated the soap using the cardinal base so that the soap was "shinier and slicker". Creating a "santa claus" lather was not the maker's intent. My next shave with Zahoroff will be with one of my badger brushes. Perhaps the badger brush will increase lather volume. If it does, I will post my results accordingly. Again, many thanks for the input to my inquiry.

Guys, thanx for the inputs. I did some snooping around on the internet after reading brettimby's response. Apparently, the maker of the Zaharoff soap purposely formulated the soap using the cardinal base so that the soap was "shinier and slicker". Creating a "santa claus" lather was not the maker's intent. My next shave with Zahoroff will be with one of my badger brushes. Perhaps the badger brush will increase lather volume. If it does, I will post my results accordingly. Again, many thanks for the input to my inquiry.

What does the volume of the lather afford?

What does the volume of the lather afford?
It may only be in my "mind", but I seem to find those soaps that afford a thick and voluminous lather to add to the "ease and PLEASURE" of my shave. Without a poll taken, my opinion is not neccessarily based upon any objective evidence, but is entirely subjective. This is my best answer to your question, at least for the moment.

Nearly all of the best soaps in my den produce low-structure lathers. High-structure lathers incorporate a lot of air. While this type of lather might look great in photos, air does little or nothing to enhance your shave. Air cannot not lubricate or protect your face. I think many shavers think foamy lathers are great because canned foams were designed to produce that type of lather; many shavers are conditioned to believe the marketing hype. Thus, if your preference is for high-structure, foamy lathers, it is likely to be a result of this mental conditioning.

I consider Gentlemen's Nod Cardinal to be an elite soap base, but it does not make it into my top ten super-elite soap bases. In my evaluations, the very best soaps will provide a post shave that can still be felt 16-24 hours after the shave. Cardinal is easy to load, easy to lather, very slick, very protective and has a nice post-shave feel. The post-shave can still be felt for at least eight hours before it begins to fade; it just doesn't make it past the 16 hour mark I hope to achieve.

Nearly all of the best soaps in my den produce low-structure lathers. High-structure lathers incorporate a lot of air. While this type of lather might look great in photos, air does little or nothing to enhance your shave. Air cannot not lubricate or protect your face. I think many shavers think foamy lathers are great because canned foams were designed to produce that type of lather; many shavers are conditioned to believe the marketing hype. Thus, if your preference is for high-structure, foamy lathers, it is likely to be a result of this mental conditioning.

I consider Gentlemen's Nod Cardinal to be an elite soap base, but it does not make it into my top ten super-elite soap bases. In my evaluations, the very best soaps will provide a post shave that can still be felt 16-24 hours after the shave. Cardinal is easy to load, easy to lather, very slick, very protective and has a nice post-shave feel. The post-shave can still be felt for at least eight hours before it begins to fade; it just doesn't make it past the 16 hour mark I hope to achieve.

Dear RayClem:

If you have a moment would you be willing to share your top ten super elite soap bases along with a list of the soaps using those bases. Thanx for taking the time. I am sure that there are others who would benefit from you opinion. Thank you again.

Dear RayClem:

If you have a moment would you be willing to share your top ten super elite soap bases along with a list of the soaps using those bases. Thanx for taking the time. I am sure that there are others who would benefit from you opinion. Thank you again.

I have posted my top ten soap bases on numerous occasions. Just query my posts.

Dear RayClem:

I took a look for you at Pasteurs and West Coast shaving.
WCS has A&E K2, Grooming Dept, Wholly Kaw, Declaration Grooming, Zingari Man, Oaken Lab and House of Mammoth that are all on his top 10. Pasteurs was a swing and a miss this time.

Dear APBinNCA:

Thanx for the assist. I will take a look at these soaps over the weekend and will look for some reviews of each. I do prefer a strong scent and favorable scent to my soaps. I hope I can find one or two to my liking. I have several in my den that I need to use up. I am still not certain what their shelf lives may be which is why I rotate each between shaves. Again, thanx for the assist.

Dear APBinNCA:

Thanx for the assist. I will take a look at these soaps over the weekend and will look for some reviews of each. I do prefer a strong scent and favorable scent to my soaps. I hope I can find one or two to my liking. I have several in my den that I need to use up. I am still not certain what their shelf lives may be which is why I rotate each between shaves. Again, thanx for the assist.
Sounds like Ariana and Evans would be a good fit for you.

Top Bottom